Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well gents it's time for the maddness to begin! I have diligently spent this glorious monday off work and in the garage ripping the geep apart. the ol'girl is looking quite naked at the moment, with her farings rmoved, radiator gone and exhaust stripped from her chassis. during this winter the plan is to remove the engine, split the cases and rplace the failing starter clutch with one from a zzr1100. while the ol'girls innerds are splayed across the work bench I'm gonna check the lower end to ensure all her clearences are in spec and probably slip in a piston kit. The treasurer has advised me to replace ANY THING else that she needs (big mistake!). Im looking very hard for a local turbo of sutable size so I can get the tubo plumbing done first but Im pretty impatent about getting into this so may skip that till later.
here she is as of now

heres what I found when I pulled off the sump

Mostly blk silicone probably from the valve cover as the PO had gobbs of it on there

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
we have turbo

I went to Orem to an automotive salvage yard (breakers) and found a tasty turbo sitting on the hood of a car that someone had already pulld the head off of. wiping off a bit of grease and girme I found the words GARRETT A/R .42. I stuck my finger in the dump and gave the turbin a spin.... smooth as silk and no side play> I grabbed it up and make it myown for the princly sum of $35.00. so now its out to the garage to clean this little jewle up

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I pulled the engine out so now it sits on the bench with the md farring frame mounted and the turbo strapped to it to work out the plumming I made the turbo flange from 1/2 inch plate at work today and have made a cardboard header flange template today as well (it should be done in steel tomorrow).

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Ha! Awesome. I have an extra T3 sitting here. Maybe i'll hack the old header and fab up a turbo manifold.

:)
A T3 is probably too big for a 600cc bike I did some gestamate figures in my turbo calculator program and confermed my suspicions you want a GT25 with a trim of 60 and an A/R of 0.80. other wise turbo lag will be very evident and overboosting will be a real issue:eek: if you send me some engine info like redline where you want boost to start, where you want max boost stock engine output Perferably in kw I can get some real #'s but suspect it will be pretty close:cool:

P.S. you can find these turbos on nissan 300zx mitsubishi eclipse and the like

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Update

I realized I need to catch this up since finishing the header I have turned the engine ove on it head and split the cases to do two things 1) Replace the failing starter clutch that pleaged this model with the newer style found in the zx11. 2) replace the rods with the 1000 rx rods which are 1.5mm shorter to lower the compression ratio with out affecting cam timing.
here are both clutches zx 900 on the lft zx11on the rt. in addition to changing the st clutch if doing this you HAVE TO replace the idler gear as well. the clutch has a bigger gear and will not fit the 900 idler gear so change them as a set

changing the st clutch requires splitting the cases so I checked the bottom end with plastiguage and found it to be perfectly within spec.

rod and main bearings looked like new which I was surprised as the bike has 43K and 26K of which I have no knowlge of service. I was expecting to find worn inserts heres what I found

so now I looking for the rods I need and while waiting for parts Ive taken up filling in all the holes in body work (ie turnsignals seat lock and helmet holders) as Im looking for a smooth finish :mrgreen:

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Hmm. Does the 600 have the same issue with the clutch. I might have to add this to the rebuild list.
Im not sure, the 900 had three sprags in the startr clutch which put too much pressure in those three spots causing the hub to crack and slip. the late model 1000 to 1100 have alot more/smaller sprags which results in a lighter stronger starter clutch. the smaller sprags spred the pressure across the whole hub. the lighter weight is less spinning weight overall bonus. :mrgreen:

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
got my finger out last weekend!

As the title says I got alot done friday and sat. the engine is about 98% complete and the frame got a new coat of paint
now for a couple of pics!

I got an even later start on the ol girl sat but got tons done. the valves were dead on so no work there. valve cover on oil pan on oil pipes in, the days going smooth put engine on the floor and bolt frame to the engine. extend center stand and have my kid put the front end in the yolk as I lift the frame/engine off the floor (extra hands help a ton at the right moment) bolt on the turbo, faring frames,radiator, and exhuast pipe. all mocked up for turbo dump pipe and steering stop. currently waiting on zzr11c swinger then rear end work to insu
heres some picks

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
well its been a while since Ive up dated this so I thought Id better catch it up

heres a few pics
turbo oil feed and drain

Ive closed off the waste gate and ready for exhaust pipe

the turbo sits nicely hidden behind the faring... only seen from the front

now to go over to the wheel swap thread to post some more piccies :biggrin:

·
MGuyver/Dinorider
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
stock pistons for now low to moderate boost (8 to 15 psi) no bottom end work as all is good. I only took the bottem end apart to change the starterclutch and just checked the bottom end while it was open and all clearences were dead on. Ive seen these do 200BHP stock with a turbo so all should be good Im running a 1.5mm spacer under the cylinders to lower CR to 8:1 to avoid detonation, also the ecu will add fuel and retard timing as boost comes on. no cam work necassary as turbos like the stock cam setup (unlike supercharges) may degree the cams later

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.