Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have two older Kaws, both have approximately the same procedure to replace the fork seals.

Basically teardown the entire fork, using special tools to seperate the tubes, etc before the clip holding the seals in place can be removed, then the seals.
:evil: :evil:

I've often thought "there's got to be a better way"

Is there ???

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
man ya cant get much easier than the forks your working on (damper rod more than likely)
you really dont need any special tools to do your forks.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
COMPLAIN?

I wouldn't complain...you could have someone else do them,,,but if you are doing them then you KNOW that the job is done right, and exactly what you did and what you used...that is worth more than cash in your pocket!

·
Registered
48 Posts
Re: Q1: 1982, 83 Fork Seals. Why are they a pain in the *** to..

Everything seems difficult when you don't do it very often! I used to really struggle taking the carbs out of my '83 Gpz550 H2 but with the latest problems I've been having, I can now get those carbs out in about 5 minutes and in again almost as fast! The big trick is to not be in a hurry with the forks, use quality parts and have a good torque wrench. I've made a tool from pvc pipe and filed a notch in a shirt pocket screwdriver for getting that p-in-the-a snap ring out of the top of the fork while compressing the spring with a huge screwdriver. If you had to replace a lot of seals you would definitely come up with a better way...but that would mean having a lot of seal failures, right? :eek:)

·
Registered
1,436 Posts
Re: Q1: 1982, 83 Fork Seals. Why are they a pain in the *** to..

It takes a while. I did mine for the first time on the ZN700. The only special tool I needed was my air compressor with impact wrench to get the lower bolt out.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts