Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey there, basically I am planning for the future. I am currently 19 year old college student and I am finally getting closer to getting a street bike for the short commutes to school as I drive back and forth frequently and the MPG is great.

Question is I am about 6 foot, will I be too tall to ride the 250 Ninja? I am referring to the 2010 250R Ninja.

Next question is finances. Currently I am working part time and paying for school and such and since I recently moved out, I do not have any sort of credit score and have not owned a credit card. I have always been about using my debit card and that has worked out for me.

Question now is I know I can afford the payments on a monthly basis, problem is with no credit score, will I be able to get on those plans? Plans I am referring to include the "Good Times" card. For someone with no credit, how would you guys go about getting one to have a monthly payment and how much do you guys think it would be?

Thanks!

·
I'm your Huckleberry
3,317 Posts
For whether you'll fit on the 250...stop by your dealer and sit on one...thats the best way to find out.

For credit? I'd stay far far away from the 'Good Times' card...you'll be paying outrageous interest rates on that (regardless of your credit score)...and for a $4000 bike no less. If you must finance (there really is no reason to finance a bike that cheap, just save your money for awhile), try your local banks. You WILL get a better interest rate from them.

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
You need to shop for insurance NOW, before you purchase a bike. Be afraid, be very afraid. Or, as we say here in the rural south, be a-skeert, be very a-skeert.

Seriously, make sure you're sitting down when you get the quote. Believe it or not, for a young male with no experience, it could be just as costly as the bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
You need to shop for insurance NOW, before you purchase a bike. Be afraid, be very afraid. Or, as we say here in the rural south, be a-skeert, be very a-skeert.

Seriously, make sure you're sitting down when you get the quote. Believe it or not, for a young male with no experience, it could be just as costly as the bike.
The gecko quoted me at $1200+ for full coverage. 22 yo Male with no experience riding.

I went to Allstate - around $420 for full coverage, same everything. So it is possible to find cheap insurance for a young inexperienced rider. Just shop around BEFORE buying a bike. It would suck to spend 4000$ and then realize you cant afford the insurance. Get you ducks in a row before pulling the trigger (hunting pun not intended)

·
Super Moderator
11,094 Posts
The gecko quoted me at $1200+ for full coverage. 22 yo Male with no experience riding.

I went to Allstate - around $420 for full coverage, same everything. So it is possible to find cheap insurance for a young inexperienced rider. Just shop around BEFORE buying a bike. It would suck to spend 4000$ and then realize you cant afford the insurance. Get you ducks in a row before pulling the trigger (hunting pun not intended)
And it really depends where you are so be sure to check with all the different companies. Progressive was way high for me, several others were also but not as much. Best I could find was GMAC at $520/yr, 47 yr old with 30 yrs experience.

·
Serial Sport Rider
638 Posts
OK, here goes my 2 cents.

It is generally not a good idea to buy a new bike as your first bike. Because you are statistically guaranteed gonna put her on the ground for one reason or another, and rather soon. It's also not a good idea to finance said bike, because now you have up to $1k in damaged plastics on top of your monthly payments. You can pick up an old school 250 for dirt cheap and thrash the snot out of it, and STILL sell it for what you paid as long as you don't crash and total it out. If you're like the "majority" of people picking up these shiny new generation 250s then you're going to "get tired" or "get bored with" your bike pretty quick, but you can't just sell it casue you have a finance contract. So that's another strike.

Did I buy a new bike as my first? Yes.
Did I finance it? Yes.
Was it a 250? Yes.
Do I still ride it? Yes. Well, not that one exactly, since I managed to toal it, but I replaced it with the same exact year and color (black 2007).

The 250 fits all kinds of riders, tall, skinny, short, fat, whatever. You have to try one on, and by that I don't mean go sit on it for a minute and decide. Sit on the bike for a few minutes. Bring a friend to hold it up while you sit on it with your feet on the pegs. Pick what's right for you. Kudos if you pick the 250, cause it rocks!

·
Registered
101 Posts
I recently bought a new 09 250 and I haven't been able to get off of it since I got it. I have just as much fun going 25-45 mph as I do going 65mph so the cc really doesn't matter to me, its got 2 wheel and an engine and that works for me. I pay 99 bucks a month for the bike because I got a specialawesomecoolness 2% interest rate somehow. Full coverage with Markel Insurance is 87 a month for a 21y/o male in a state known for freakishly high insurance rates, every other company I checked was double :/ Take the MSF course so the day they deliver your bike to you you can just hop on and ride it, it'll also get you an insurance discount.

I'm 5'8" and the bike fits me fine, but I'll admit its a small bike. It's great for commuting but man, what you pay to take care of it will eat right into what you save on gas believe you me.

Your financing might have an issue though unless you get someone to cosign with you because most banks consider a motorcycle a "luxury" and won't give out a loan with no credit. Friend o mine in the same situation was told he had to make his car payment on time for a year to be able to get a loan. Good luck to you, its a fun bike.

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
My 19-yr-old son is building his credit with a membership in a credit union. Got a nice VISA card from them with a low limit ($500) that he pays off regularly. Also has a debit card with them. We have had 4 loans with them and find the rates very reasonable - especially if you have them automatically deduct the monthly payment from your share-draft (checking) account. And having the VISA with them - which we do - brings the rate down even more.

Those who say you should start out with used are correct. It "hurts" a lot less if the bike is not shiny and new when you drop it. But, I'm like A-J; my first bike was a new 250 that I financed. But then at the time, I was 45. And, unfortunately, it was my son who dropped it - not me. Boy, did he feel bad!! He now has an 8-yr-old Shadow.

And, again, the folks are correct about getting your insurance in order first. Or at least doing your research on the costs. My son found that Progressive was better for him even though the hubby and I are with the Gecko on our own bikes and cars. And be careful with getting quotes on the internet. The Boy did that with his car - got one quote on the internet, then, when we had to add the car by phone, the rate was significantly higher. We never did get an exceptable explanation.

Good luck and remember to take the MSF course - that will help bring down the insurance!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Check Craigslist. There are, at any given time, two dozen 250R's for sale here in SoCal. And most of them are 2006 or newer, with several 2009's on there too. Get the 2009 if you can... so much nicer after the recent redesign.

Heck, my new 2009 ER-6n isn't really new. I bought it used. 3700 miles, not a mark on it, and only paid $4500... from a dealer no less. That way when I'm ready to upgrade in a year, it won't hurt nearly so bad to sell it.

When I took the MSF class, I got to ride a 2009 Ninja 250R. What a sweet little bike. If I hadn't already bought the ER-6n, I would have seriously considered buying one of the used '09 250Rs on Craigslist.

Rob

·
Registered
68 Posts
agreed I am close to buying one on craigslist. It looks like $1,300-1,500 is the walk away point for sellers. You will most likely need to spend an additional coin for new tires battery etc, but your first bike should be used. It is not a matter of IF you will drop your first bike but WHEN.

·
Union Strong
1,142 Posts
And, again, the folks are correct about getting your insurance in order first. Or at least doing your research on the costs. My son found that Progressive was better for him even though the hubby and I are with the Gecko on our own bikes and cars. And be careful with getting quotes on the internet. The Boy did that with his car - got one quote on the internet, then, when we had to add the car by phone, the rate was significantly higher. We never did get an exceptable explanation.

Good luck and remember to take the MSF course - that will help bring down the insurance!
As the father of 3 boys age 28,21 and 19 I have seen this time and again.....

·
Registered
125 Posts
For credit? I'd stay far far away from the 'Good Times' card...you'll be paying outrageous interest rates on that (regardless of your credit score)...and for a $4000 bike no less. If you must finance (there really is no reason to finance a bike that cheap, just save your money for awhile), try your local banks. You WILL get a better interest rate from them.
there are plenty of people who really cant save, for various reasons, & the $4,000 is a huge amount to.

some people live where the economy is bad, & do not make great money, & little things eat up every thing they earn, I know first hand, because I live where the economy is horrible, unemployment is extremely high, & wages are low. but when I come home I am HAPPY! I love the mountains where I live. but people tell me I am wasting my life, bescause of how good I am with cars, but I refuse to move to make better money, & there is no jobs for me within a reasonable driving distance, & I have turned down more than 3 times the money I make beause I refuse to live in a city type life. where I live is so rural the paper comes out once a week, only on wednesdays, but if you want it delivered to your home it will be Thursday in the mail. to know whats going on you have to turn into the radio. I wouldnt trade it for anything. but being low on funds all the time hurts.

it took me over 2 years to save to be able to buy an inexpensive to me bike. I was going to buy one last year with tax money, but as soon as money was in my hand the well pump went out! & I said POOF!!! if I had not had money for a new pump I would have been hauling water from the creek behind the house every day until I could afford.

last week I broke a front tooth eating a boneless rib, that had a piece of bone in it, if dentist had not worked with me I would have had to lose a front tooth, but as it was he let me finance a root canal, for $600, yes I have insurance through my job for dental but they refuse to offer any help with root canals, but pay 100% for extractions, 100% for fillings, all but $100 for a crown, all but $30 for dentures, 2 cleanings a year, & 1 set of ex-rays a year, but will pay for any extra ex-rays needed. I will pay dentist off in 4 or 5 months. but that was an enexpected pop to my income.

now back to the topic, you need to buy a used inexpensive bike for your first bike! & make sure you can afford the insurance!!!! I am not going to make recomendations, but find a $800 to $1,500 bike & ask on board for opinions before you purchase, & take the MSF, someone around me has a ninja 250 for $800 or best offer that was 2 days ago, if interested holler back & I will look to see if add is still there on craigslist. I wish I had looked at it now instead of what I bought as the dentist is going to kill me financially & I am trying to figure what I can sell to buy a tire & to register it, buy tags, & pay taxes. I bought a 96 GPZ1100 for $1,450 last month, but after this bill I wish I just had the money & a cheaper bike. & I am 43 years old & have over 500,000 miles under my belt, & I wouldnt have hesitatated to pick up a ninja 250 for a daily rider.

Later,
Randy

·
BACK ON TWO WHEELS
13,542 Posts
All good good info and really nothing to add. other than:

MSF

Good ins and as before..take into account in payment

Used vs new ..ur gonna drop it...we all did !!!

New has warranty...if you dont know how to work/fix etc!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.