Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i have had my 06 mean streak for about a month, and i noticed on the way home of a 200 mile trip that one of the pipes was making noise and vibrating against my right foot peg. a couple days after i got back i tightened up all the bolts holding the pipe and the cover to the bike, but it still is loose.

It has about a quarter of an inch of play right at the engine. i have a video here of the movement as well as a pic down below. Any thoughts that could help a newbie? YouTube - loose header.3GP

·
VN900
208 Posts
That's a lot of play! I would remove the caps & flange, pull back the pipe to see if there is an exhaust gasket. I would also check to see if the stud is out too far from the cylinder head to the end of the flange because the cap that secures it is only about 14 ft lbs. Not too many things it could be.

·
Crazy Old Guy
1,189 Posts
I think your front exhaust gasket has blown out. Definately get something in that space as you will burn an exhaust valve soon if you leave it like that.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
So I finally had a day off with enough free time to work on the bike. I got the pipe off, and sure enough it was a busted exhaust gasket. The funny thing was the previous owner had put two gaskets on the front pipe. Just to make sure i replaced both of them like suggested (one on the front and the one on the back, not both on the front like i found them :), and now everything runs smoothly again.

Thank you to those that helped me out with this issue. This was my first problem, and i was able to fix it without taking to a shop due to your help.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.