Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I hope everyone has a good Christmas. And Im glad I found this site.

My question...

1991 ZX1100 stock w/approx 14k very strong, very clean, dual exhaust. My headers go 4-1 at the collector, then split about 8 inches down pipe into the seperate cans. If I cut and seal the T to one of the cans, and replace the Silencer with an aftermarket can(muffler), do you think it would work, or would it end up choking out, and actually decrease performance. Has anyone tried to do this type of inexpensive mod, and what were your results?? Let me know what you think. Im glad I found this place. Its nice. I am also looking for others to ride with here in Las Vegas.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
So long as the new muffler produces about the same back pressure as the old 2 combined then you should be right.
I suggest you post this over in Mechanics Corner and you'll get a response from some of the bright lads there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thanks heaps Ishmael,
I kind of figured the same, but im not one to cut up my pipes "just to see" without asking you know what i mean. Thanks again.

·
Gimme more twisties
1,090 Posts
No worries mate. I'm with you - I wouldn't cut until I got some credible opinion.
Hopefully some of the residents experts will chime in here shortly. ( I am definitely NOT one of the resident experts lol )

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
have you thought about having the pipe cut off just before where it splits for the cans. then have a muffler shop bend a new pipe so you can add the aftermarket can.

I have a 93, found a used Muzzy on ebay a few years ago. that might be an option.

·
Registered
57 Posts
i bet you can pick up a full slightly used system for that bike for next to nothing. plan on doing some carb tuning.

·
Registered
22,566 Posts
i bet you can pick up a full slightly used system for that bike for next to nothing. plan on doing some carb tuning.

I know a guy that is pushing 60 that has an 06 ZX10. really good rider.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks a bunch for your thoughts guys...and hope everyone has had a great holiday so far.

Ill check my pocket book (ha ha like theres anything in it..) and figure which avenue of attack im going to take. I let you know how it turns out. Also, I might have some pics of my son and i to put on here tomorrow night. He rides a little yellow 50cc pocket bike. He loves to chase me around the high school parking lot. Have a good night all..

1 - 9 of 9 Posts