Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was riding on the freeway last week and had a motorcyclist pass me on the right in my own lane! This was quite startling for me, as I was considering weaving to the right just before I saw him out of the corner of my eye.

Now, I admit I'm new to the motorcycling world so all the customs and practices are not known to me. But passing another rider in his own lane seems pretty dangerous to me.

My question would be... is this normal? Don't warn the rider in any way just pass them if they don't seem to be going fast enough and are in the other third of the lane you aren't in? Anyone else have this happen to them?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

nope not normal-any real rider knows better imo
if your with someone- ok you might expect it
if not don't let me catch you at the next light :lol:

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
glad you hadn't started your weave yet. Stupid is what stupid does!

·
Registered
43 Posts
jonesie619 said:
STUPID STUPID STUPID!!!! Probably some squid on a new bike...
ahem....I don't think someone has to be a squid on new bike....Could very well be some cocky 20 something male who thinks he knows it all cause he's been riding since he was 5.....or it could have been anyone. Either way what an a**hole!

·
Registered
70 Posts
ya know, maybe it was a normal veteran biker who was just in a hurry to go to work and saw a open spot to pass. like if your really late to work and your at your local forever light and if your late, you get fired, you look, see no traffic, cops, not anything, you run it. i had to do it once.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

you did'nt have too - you chose too :wink:
and i bet you warned the other rider with a horn beep or something right?

·
Registered
3 Posts
I try to follow the rule that if you're in a hurry to get somewhere, taking the bike is not the thing to do. Better off taking the car than taking risks and pulling stuff like this on the bike.

·
Registered
70 Posts
i dont have a bike right now. about 2 years ago, i got in an accident on my 96 zx6r and scared me bad. im thinking on a 500r but i donthave the money right now. i ran it in my brand new still had the new car smell and not yet pooped on mustang mach one. that thing is sweet.

·
Registered
22 Posts
It's cool that we see other bikes and we wave and chat at lights or gas stations. We have a common interest. It's a brotherhood of sorts.

But...there are jerks, idiots, morons and just plain don't give a **** types out there on bikes same as there are in cages.

Yesterday I saw a guy(with a passenger) on a two lane, no passing zone, in a curve, pass the car in front of him. Since he did this in a curve he did not see what was coming in the opposite direction....me. Pissed me off. Idiot could have killed both of us. If I had been in a car, we would probably have hit.
I've seen packs of sportbikes using the Interstate as their own private obstacle course. I've seen packs of cruisers drag racing light to light on boulevards.
It's these boneheads that make the cops keep a close eye one us. It's these morons that make non-bikers resent us. It's these selfish jerks who screw up things for all of us.

We work hard to gain the respect and acceptance of other motorists, let's return the favor. We don't own the road, we just found a better way to use it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

"We work hard to gain the respect and acceptance of other motorists, let's return the favor. We don't own the road, we just found a better way to use it.
"

well put :wink:

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Hm ok... thanks for all the replies... I don't have much respect for the guy since he passed me with a ghost of a wave and looked to be wearing coveralls and sunglasses for riding gear :roll: I think I was going around 75 since the speed limit was 65. But it was almost amusing since he flew past me and weaved around thru traffic including a County Sherrif who proceeded to follow him. I was hoping he was talked to by the officer, but who knows... I didn't see any lights go on.

Ok, well I won't expect anyone to pass me in my own lane unless they ask me beforehand... thank you kindly folks! :lol:

·
NO---I ain't dead--yet
266 Posts
Maybe riding like you own the road in this case is warranted----if riding by yourself----nothing wrong with planting yourself right in the middle of the lane on the freeway---------that way a bonehead has no option of passing you in your own lane.

Most interstates are clean and well kept across the lane---but watch for obstacles anyway------run your headlight on bright during the day to be seen. Always watch your sides and back on a crowded interstate.

Now on regular city street----I would pick a side of the lane and stick with it-----I prefer the left side---as I can be seen better.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Curt said:
OmahaRider said:
. . . run your headlight on bright during the day . . .
I'd rather you didn't do that, since I hate the glare. But being seen is definitely a good idea.
Curt
My viewpoint on running brights (during the day): My being seen by as many people as possible is more important than trying to reduce the temporary glare that an occasional person might have to endure. There's a glare from my brights? Good, you know I'm there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
VulcanRebel said:
My viewpoint on running brights (during the day): My being seen by as many people as possible is more important than trying to reduce the temporary glare that an occasional person might have to endure. There's a glare from my brights? Good, you know I'm there.
Here here! I always run my brights on during the day!

G

·
in quebec we are not allowed to ride side by side,personelly i find this dangerous,anyway passing some one in your own lane ..... f.... STUPID!!!

1 - 20 of 29 Posts