Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everyone
I have had this KZ550 Ltd for a couple of years and have been gradually performing standard maintenance. This season I've decided to replace the tires and do the wheel bearings and brakes.
In respect to the disc rotor could someone explain what the manual means by "wear limit"?
The manual states a wear limit on a single disc unit of 6mm. Is that not the disc thickness when it was new? The disc on the bike currently has a wear limit stamped on it marked 4.5mm. It actually measures 4.6mm with lots of grooves and needs to be resurfaced.
I bought a replacement EBC rotor and pad set from Perfect Brakes off the web. The new rotor measures 4.5mm . Their webite makes it a no brainer in getting the right part unless it was incorrect. Even if the new rotor was intended for a dual disc bike is not a 4.5mm rotor thickness the "wear limit" ?
I'm confused.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
Might be a typo in the manual, or you could be looking at the limits for the rear disc. Is it a factory manual? My manual states the service limits for mine are: Front 4.5mm, Rear 6 mm

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Might be a typo in the manual, or you could be looking at the limits for the rear disc. Is it a factory manual? My manual states the service limits for mine are: Front 4.5mm, Rear 6 mm
Hi Stargate
Indeed in my factory manual on page 204 states SERVICE LIMIT: Front 4.5mm,s 6.0mm. s= single disc model. Rear 6.0mm

This indicates to me that the on a single disc bike the front disc thickness limit is 6mm and on a dual disc bike it is 4.5 mm. Meaning both discs started out life somewhat thicker than the service limit.
What is confusing me is the brand new EBC rotor I purchased is 4.5mm. Even if it was sent by mistake intended for a dual disc bike at 4.5mm its already at the service limit for that bike. So with that in mind if I was to obtain a new rotor from Kawasaki would the new rotor for a single front disc bike measure exactly 6mm?
Dennis

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
I'm not sure what you would get if you ordered one from Kawasaki but it's not uncommon for aftermarket parts to be lower quality than original. That's one of the ways they are able to offer parts for less than factory prices and still make a decent profit.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I'm not sure what you would get if you ordered one from Kawasaki but it's not uncommon for aftermarket parts to be lower quality than original. That's one of the ways they are able to offer parts for less than factory prices and still make a decent profit.
Actually it turns out that the new rotor is in fact suppose to be thinner because its designed that way. Not acutally cheaper I was told but better than the original. I'll give it try and see how it goes.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
No doubt that some companies make aftermarket items that are better than original. Like progressive shocks are better than original. And I guess with the newer metals and technology advances they could make them thinner and be as strong if not stronger. Good luck with it.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts