Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm thinking of putting on a hyper charger on my vulcan. My question is will I have to rejet the carb again because when I put my cobra pipes on it was jetted then! I'd hate to have to rejet again!!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

sorry dude but your prolly gonna have to do it again :roll:
generally you don't need a re-jet on the 800 with just pipes? so what jets did you use?
if you change the intake re-jet is for sure or it'll run like crap.

i wish they would put FI on everything :lol: the hypercharger works pretty good on these bikes though-you'll be happy with the low end performance once you get it dialed in :twisted:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
The dealership used a cobra jet kit! Should Ijust install it and see how it runs or should I go ahead and get it rejetted while the tank is off getting painted?

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

jaks-i don't know for sure what comes in that kit but i don't think you needed it with just
pipes-the 800 runs fine on stock carb with aftermarket pipes so i'm confused about that.

but generally the most common setup on the 800 after a pipe change is either
hypercharger or thunder air kit-some folks have had issues with the hypercharger
sticking out a little far and rubbing their leg,but there is a mod to rememdy that.
others like the thunder kit claiming that it breaths a little better but no real advantage over
h-charger other than looks.

most folks are running a 48 or 50 pilot (48 is stock) and 165 main(135 is stock)
with 2-1/2 to 2-3/4 turns out on the air/fuel screw from seated position
some are using shims some don't but that combo seems to deliver the bang for the buck

look at those thunder air kits if your have'nt they are nice looking with different covers
they have for the filter

some people have complained about the butterflys sticking on the h-charger also
but i don't think thats really and issue.

good luck and keep us posted :wink:

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The dealer told me when i bought the pipes that it was best to go ahead and do a jet kit. They didn't charge me anything to put it on so that was good. I don't think i'll have a problem with it sticking out too far because I'm over 6 feet tall (don't know if that makes a difference or not). I may just try installing it without rejetting again and see how it runs, if it runs crappy then I'll do the jet kit!!!

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

that's what i'd prolly do :wink: it may just need a little air/fuel adjustment afterwards

1 - 6 of 6 Posts