Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, everybody. im new at the whole bike thing so please have mercy. But anywho i was lookin at buyin a bike, and i found one ((1987 or 1988, i cant remember, Ninja 600R)) and i think i found one for cheap, but it has a small problem, hence it bein cheap. Anywho, the bike has an intermittent no start. if the battery is charged and hooked up it cranks strong and everything, but it just wont get goin. if the battery is left fully charged hooked up on the bike then in a day or so its totally dead. i pulled the plugs and checked them and they have a good spark comin out, just in case it would be that. so i thought maybe the fuel supply. the carbs had been cleaned i was told, so i pulled off the tank and sprayed some carb cleaner in the carbs and filled the fuel line comin off the petcock to the fuel line with carb cleaner also. after a few trys ((it seemed that it would only start after i let it sit wit the carb cleaner in it for couple minutes or so)) it started up and ran. i was able to rev it a few times actually as long as i bottle fed it carb cleaner. and then it died slowly after i turned the choke off. so i figured fill the line wit carb cleaner and then put the tank on, did it and no go. anybody have any idea in the slightest from what i have described what it could be????

Thank You
PS....sorry for the length

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
if its running on carb cleaner then it has 2 of the 3 needed things. it has SPARK
and
AIR
but its missing
FUEL
it ran on the carb cleaner because you sprayed it down the carb throats. it didnt run after that because you didnt have enough in the carbs to feed all four cylinders.
make sure your actually have gas coming out of the tank and making it to the carbs.
good luck :wink:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
well the thing is that i sprayed some in the carbs but i also had the fuel line filled with it and once it started then i just kept bottle feedin it into the line and it ran off of that. is there any like known problems with this year or whatnot?? thanks

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
ya actually shouldnt be filling the carbs with carb cleaner. it can damage the rubber items in your carbs if theres too much.
youll need to check for fuel delivery

1 - 4 of 4 Posts