Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
1989 Ninja 500 "Myztic"
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My cousin noticed that I have a little play in the rear sprocket. Meaning, I start moving the bike, and it moves a little before the sprocket moves. It wasn't very much at all, but I'm wondering if there is supposed to be no play at all, or if a little is allowable? It's a 2005 Ninja 250, thanks!!:D

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: Question about reat sprocket?!

No big deal, that's just the play in the rear cushion hub. There are rubber cushions that take out the shock in the drive when bumps, holes, or other abrupt changes in tension of the chain drive happen. It takes out some of the drive line shock so the chain, sprockets, wheel, gear box, clutch, etc aren't damaged.

Cush hubs aren't used on most off road bikes, due to give in the dirt surfaces. Asphalt and pavement with the grip of the tires don't have much give to them.

·
1989 Ninja 500 "Myztic"
910 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Re: Question about reat sprocket?!

Thanks, I appreciate it. I know a lot more about cars than bikes. I'll learn eventually, only way to do that is by asking!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Those hubs arent supposed to have much play at all moving them by hand, i'm sure there is an allowable spec but lets think about this, if you can feel the play by hand how much more do you think its moving under load?? when i changed my sprocket i had no play when moving it by hand that i could noticably feel. see if there is a spec for allowable play.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts