Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Real Men Ride Rockets
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My buddy is helping me get into a 2006 KX450f. He is working on the motor as we speak looks like part of the skirt from the piston broke off scarred the cylinder. He has a cylinder on order and going to split the cases to inspect everything. The question I have is on that particular year is there anything that you know off the top of your head that I need to be aware of. Like recall type problems or errors that I need to watch for on this bike. Thanks for all the heads up.

·
Registered
186 Posts
The guy your getting the bike from should have posted this question, then you wouldn't be doing what your doing now.

The 06 had problems with the wrist pin galling, that led to piston failure. Supposedly that has been fixed, but for my money I run Wiesco and haven't had any problems.

You may want to talk to Kawi, since it was a known problem they MIGHT stand behind the repairs, of course if it has a million hours and no service they'll tell you to pound sand.

·
Real Men Ride Rockets
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The guy your getting the bike from should have posted this question, then you wouldn't be doing what your doing now.

The 06 had problems with the wrist pin galling, that led to piston failure. Supposedly that has been fixed, but for my money I run Wiesco and haven't had any problems.

You may want to talk to Kawi, since it was a known problem they MIGHT stand behind the repairs, of course if it has a million hours and no service they'll tell you to pound sand.
It's not my buddy's bike he is like loaning me the money till I get my 2 stroke sold or my R1 paid off. He has torn the bike down and that is what he has found so far. Will another OEM piston do the same problem or has the problem in that supposedly been solved. I just want to make sure that I know what to look for when we get it back going so I can avoid for see able things. Thanks for your input

·
Registered
186 Posts
The claim is that the problem has been fixed, the part numbers haven't changed. Another reason to go with an aftermarket. That was the big issue with the 06, go to the thumpertalk forum, there is a section on the 450 with alot of good information.

·
Real Men Ride Rockets
201 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The claim is that the problem has been fixed, the part numbers haven't changed. Another reason to go with an aftermarket. That was the big issue with the 06, go to the thumpertalk forum, there is a section on the 450 with alot of good information.
Thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts