Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My daughter is looking at a 03 Vulcan 500 LTD Roadster, she was lookng at the 800 but found this one it has 1200 miles on it leather bags and a windshield. for $3650 it is mint (guy clames divorce)

She has been riding my 750 virago for a year so either bike would be no problem, I for one have not hade anything to do with the 500 and not sure how they do and what a long ride on one would be like.

Any input would be welcome and hey at least this is not political !!! Thanks

·
Registered
459 Posts
I bought a 2005 500 LTD for my wife. It is one of the friendliest bikes I have ever ridden. If the rider is over 5'4", it will probably feel a bit cramped. When was breaking it in, my knees were almost up against my chin! But the bike is comfortable, responsive and smooth. It handles very sweetly. It has 6 smooth-shifting speeds, which I don't care for. Five is the limit that my feeble mind can effectively handle! It has a chain drive, which means more maintenance. The valves are not self-adjusting. The spark plugs are very difficult to get to-you have to lift the tank. It has tube tires and spokes, all of which chalk up minuses on the safety issue and esthetic upkeep of the bike. There is virtually no aftermarket accessories for it. But overall, my wife adores it and can ride it safely & effectively. It fits her to a T, so I guess it's a keeper. It's actually hard NOT to like the bike. The bike seems more like a spaniel, it can't do enough for you.
Regards & safe riding

·
Registered
439 Posts
I had an 05 500 LTD and LOVED it. Handles well, easy to control, great mileage. The only reason I moved up is bcs it is just too small and light for what I wanted. I almost miss it..... but how can u miss ANYTHING when u own the best cruiser in the world????

·
the "fun" guy
32,859 Posts
If she will be doing long distance rides....she probably would appreciate the 800. If she's going to be riding around town...the 500 could work.

G

·
The 500 will work for around town and short distance commuting very well. If she plans to ride long distance or at interstate speeds much she'll really appreciate the power and weight of the 800 however.
Really it's a matter of what you want from a MC though. My previous bike was a 800 class and did all I needed fairly well I suppose. I wanted more power, comfort and big bike handling though so went up to a 1600. Works for me but others are perfectly happy tooling along on a 250...

pms

·
Registered
524 Posts
They are both great bikes the 500 will do everything the 800 does.The 500 a little smaller and lighter but its biggest drawback is aftermarket parts (there are very few)I have rode many and the wife has one either way she will be happy I guess now is how much $$$ you want to spend,that 03 500 is allmost new (a little spendy) but it sounds mint.If you go with the 800 more $$$ and lots of aftermarket parts.Good luck keep us posted.

·
Rebel Rider
3,646 Posts
I had the 500 before I got my 800. It's a really nice bike. Like everyone is saying, it handles well, great gas mileage and plenty of power. In fact it will smoke most 800's on take off. It does get cramped and a little buzzy on long rides, and there is not many aftermarket parts for it, not even a seat. But a lot of parts for the 800 will work or can be made to work on it, like risers, handlebars, pegs, etc.

·
Registered
488 Posts
I think it is best to go bigger if you plan long rides. I am finding it's nice to have bike that is more comfortable and stable on the road. If you buy the 500 you won't be dissapointed but you might be happier with the 800. My daughter is kind of small and she would fit better on the 500. It sounds like your daughter is experienced at riding so she would be able to handle the 800 even if she is smaller. It is a very good handling bike.

DJ

·
Registered
92 Posts
I had a 500 for awhile, but gave it to my wife. She's 5'2" and loves the bike. She had a Virago 535 she rode for about a year. According to my wife the Yamaha can't even be in the same class as the 500. She is much more comfortable at highway speeds. :grin:

·
Registered
5,200 Posts
My wife ride's a 500 as well. She's 5 ft. so it fit's her perfect . I'm 5' 10" an like someone else said it seem's a little short when riding very far . But it still's beats walking,<G> I've taken out on the interstate an it seem's to cruise fine at 80mph. Te seat would need some modifing if I was to ride it very far. The wife only ride's a couple of thousand mile's a yr. so she probably won't out grow it any time soon. She's only had her motorcycle endorsment for a couple of yrs. anyway. My son will be 16 this summer so the 500 might get a few more mile's on it this yr.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
Alex214 said:
I almost miss it..... but how can u miss ANYTHING when u own the best cruiser in the world????
i'm surprised noone commented on this one ! nice little slide in !

·
Registered
229 Posts
I'm the old fat guy (300 plus) and 5' 10". I had the GREAT oppurtunity to ride an older 500 Kaw, and, flat fell in love with this "little known" road burner! In fact, I'm still trying to wrangle a way to fit one in my shed ! No one happened to mention that it will flat blow the other Kaw's away up to around 80MPH ! And I mean BAD ! It has the same combo as the 500 Ninja, with a little re-tuning for lower end torque. Pulls down to city speed limits in 6th with no complaints, and will just flat RIP with a flick of the wrist. Doesn't vibrate painfully, and a windshield, saddlebag combo is easy. So WHAT A DEAL ! Did I mention that it's also just about bullet-proof, since they have been building it for years and years ? Ya gotta check this one out, seriously !

·
Registered
2 Posts
IMO the 500LTD does a fine job on the highway/super slab. It will easily keep up with/exceed traffic and with a proper windshield/lowers one has little/no buffeting. Add a backrest and 500 mile days are no problem and I've done it a bunch of times. 60 MPG with a 4 gal. tank means one can easily go 200 miles before stopping for gas. Unless you are riding with a Concord most bikes will want to stop before you.
So far 12,000 miles and no problems. BTW, I converted to a belt drive, which dropped the highway RPM by about 1,000 RPM making it more relaxed, but I did not find the the higher RPMs objectional in any way prior to converting.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Thanks Slammer ! I've been told that I'm not the brightest bulb in the box, just cause I thought it would make a fantastic and loads of fun, 2nd bike. Now you've got me convinced. THEN ,I can also join a Kaw club and embarrass my son Slicks ! (Second good reason to own one) HA HA

·
Sprinting G-Man
4,169 Posts
Welcome Slammer!
Sounds like the 500 does it all just fine.

Scott

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
i wouldn't mind taking a spin on that little 500 jest to see what its got

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
after hearing what everyone has to say about them, yeah, sounds like taking one for a rip would be pretty fun ! i spent my first couple years riding on my mother's 440LTD and i was always suprised how well that one went along.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
ispeed77 said:
after hearing what everyone has to say about them, yeah, sounds like taking one for a rip would be pretty fun ! i spent my first couple years riding on my mother's 440LTD and i was always suprised how well that one went along.
I can remember way back when...when a 750 was a Big bike and anything plus 1000 cc's was crazy big. I can remember the first time I saw an 1100 goldwing and my thought of, why would anybody need a bike that big...now i'm riding a 1500........

In that line of thinking, a 440 would be a medium size'd cruizer.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts