Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, Right now i have a 96' KLR 250 (I only have my begineers) but it's really becoming a problem, parts and all...so, i'm lookin at getting a Vulcan 800 Classic when i get my full motorcycle lisence this comin up spring. I've been reading on here about people having probs with the gastank and stuff, is this a hard or expensive thing to fix?? and is it a good all around cruiser?? not many probs or anything? i'm looking at getting around the 2001-2003 year mark.

·
Registered
302 Posts
vulcan 800

Racer,
Welcome to the board! I got back into bikes after a 20 year lay-off a few years ago. The first bike I bought(BIG MISTAKE) was a Honda 750 Shadow Spirit. I loved the look of this bike(sportsterclone) but 1)it had horrible suspension 2) it was geared way too low 3) the seat-leg/arm position sucked in the real world (felt great sitting on it in the showroom!).My back hurt so bad from this bike that I thought I was going to have to forget about biking at the tender age of 45 with two bad disks in my back. Then a friend of mine let me drive his 2002 Vulcan 800A, it was like night & day the differance between the power & the comfort. I lost almost $2k getting out of the honda but it was money well spent. The Vulcan 800's do have some quirks-the biggest problem I had was from the gas cap vent getting plugged and shutting down the bike at hwy speed. I finally was told to rotate the rubber gasket inside the cap and all my problems went away. I put 7500 miles on my 800 in 13 months and can truley say it is a great buy. Leader in class for comfort & power ....now I have a 1500 Classic FI , but my friend still has his 800 and can run with me all day long!
Hope This Helps! Good Luck,
Lonestar

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thx alot, i really like the look of the 800, i know what you mean, my aunt bought a 2002 Honda Shadow Sabre 1100, and we borrowed it for a weekend...and it was the worst riding bike i've ever been on, it looked really really nice...but the ride just made me hate it.

·
Registered
4,352 Posts
re

the 800 is a great machine,very dependable, and underated imo
very few quirks - i still ride mine quite often

you will be very happy with it i'm sure :wink:

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
The 800 is a great bike, epic. You'll love it. Good power, tremendously balanced, great handling. Go get one! FYI - dealers love to get rid of stock this time of year. You'll get a better deal in the Fall than in the Spring (depending on where you live/climate).

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've had a 2003 800 vulcan sinc enew and I have had no problems...kept up the maintenance...It is a nice comforatable handling bike!

·
Registered
222 Posts
I had a 2002 Vn 800B which I traded for an '07 Vn 900 LT. The 800 was a great bike except for the stock seat and the venting problem with the gas tank. Took it on a 1700 miler to Vegas (stock seat) and a 1400 miler (Mustang seat) into New Mexico.

In my case, found the venting problem related to overfilling the tank. Once I stopped filling when the fuel reached the baffle in the bottom of the filling tube, the problem stopped.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts