Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Have you ever had one break off?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Usually

Usually before they will break off you will find yourself on the ground...I have work out rubber foot pegs and ground down the metal...just don't catch a concrete crack or a metal plate while leaned over this far...an dyou should be okay....no, usually they will fold up first...a little wired sensatio if your foot is still resting on it, but you will now it you are dragging it... In hawai. My buddy was a welder and he would weld us steel plates for our boots...get going about 30-35 miles per hour on a really flat (has to be perfect and the n stand up...sparks roosting behind you. Stoopid things back in th early '70's, but we never lost a bike or got arrested...funny then, not so much now knowing what could of happened...perhaps we were really smart and knew our streets completely (NOT!)

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hm... well reason why I ask is because I was attempting to drag said peg around a corner and it broke off. Sadly it was the one on the left and it startled me enough to run off the road. Never expected to find my left foot dragging in a turn.

I thought it was kind of unusual for it to be so brittle and was thinking I would contact the dealership and see if this would be covered under the warranty.

Too bad it had to happen just before the weekend ;)

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
Aikata said:
I was attempting to drag said peg around a corner and it broke off. ;)
playing over in tortillia flats i bet ? :wink: just call up SR AXIS or BOBS and get another one.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Already did, they seem to be under the impression the part is new for 2004 so I'm just going to bite the cost of the dealership part...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
DRAGGING?

Slight difference between dragging and breaking one off! Gees! Lucky you weren't hurt. If you get to the point where you don't want to do it then just hang your boot over the edge of the pedal...it WILL get your attention, and you may end up dragging a peg...hopefully not getting close enough to break one...that could actually catapault you....

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
I scraped my pegs on the road - not intentionally, but on hard corners and the only time I've had one break off was when I crashed!

The pegs that I've ridden with had a tendency to fold back into the bike at about 45 degrees which would have prevented them from getting stuck with the ground on a hard turn.

Could be a chance to get a pair of nice adjustable aftermarket set.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1Adam12 said:
I scraped my pegs on the road - not intentionally, but on hard corners and the only time I've had one break off was when I crashed!

The pegs that I've ridden with had a tendency to fold back into the bike at about 45 degrees which would have prevented them from getting stuck with the ground on a hard turn.

Could be a chance to get a pair of nice adjustable aftermarket set.
Hehe, well I suppose the new pegs I ordered should help. After thinking about it for a while I wondered why it would be brittle enough to snap off. I guess it's not too common of a thing to happen.

·
Registered
5 Posts
My 636 has replaceable "feelers" that screw into the peg. That way the peg itself doesn't actually hit the ground.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
ZX-2R said:
Slight difference between dragging and breaking one off! Gees! Lucky you weren't hurt. If you get to the point where you don't want to do it then just hang your boot over the edge of the pedal...it WILL get your attention, and you may end up dragging a peg...hopefully not getting close enough to break one...that could actually catapault you...
Well, it didn't catapult me... it only snapped the bike upright instantly. Unfortunately I reacted with the standard "stoopid noob" freeze-up pose and forgot my bike had brakes or handlebars to steer with and ran off the road. It only snapped off a turn signal and scuffed up the opposite side of the fairing. I rode away with a bruised rib and a bunch of tiny itchy pieces of grass in my jacket. Can't wait to get those parts installed... it's kind of tiresome to ride with only one peg.

Edawg636 said:
My 636 has replaceable "feelers" that screw into the peg. That way the peg itself doesn't actually hit the ground.
Yeah, mine did too... it was still attatched to the removed peg... so I'm not sure if that was what caught on the pavement or not... the peg definately had some scratches on it too... :?:

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Go down to your local Home Depot and buy a bolt to ride temp. Remove the footpeg completely and buy a bolt - probably 10mm or so and stick it in there until the real deal arrives. Better than letting your foot drag.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BOLT use

Sounds like a veteran...I've done so much with so little, I can do almost anything with nothing. Sometimes a magazine works...Splint, funnel, short rest stop along the roadside, fire starter, insulation from cold, head exposure to the sun (hat), geeeeee.......
Just don't toss the bolt when you are done...you'll need it again for something else...or perhaps for the same thing, again...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Re: BOLT use

ZX-2R said:
Sounds like a veteran...I've done so much with so little, I can do almost anything with nothing. Sometimes a magazine works...Splint, funnel, short rest stop along the roadside, fire starter, insulation from cold, head exposure to the sun (hat), geeeeee.......
Just don't toss the bolt when you are done...you'll need it again for something else...or perhaps for the same thing, again...
Unfortunately - that is personal practical experience and not someone elses. but on the bright side I get to share a neat little - didn't think about that one for someone else.

I was riding my Ninja 600 hard at night (60+) and on a u turn type of right, low sided when I lost front wheel traction (sand/rocks) and I was braking hard - should have hit the brakes earlier before I got to the turn, but was taking too much speed with me and ooooppss. Under normal circumstances with no sand/rocks it would have been fine, but it was at night and was just going to fast.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
1Adam12 said:
Go down to your local Home Depot and buy a bolt to ride temp. Remove the footpeg completely and buy a bolt - probably 10mm or so and stick it in there until the real deal arrives. Better than letting your foot drag.
Ok, but where do you put this bolt? The peg broke at the end that connects to the bike, meaning where the pin is attatched to the "rearset" or peg bracket. So, removing the peg was done when the breakage occurred, I simply picked up the pieces I could find and tossed them in a bag I had handy.

I don't quite understand how a 10mm bolt would substitute the missing peg. The only bolt holes available that would point the proper direction attatch the "rearset" to the frame of the bike... is that what you are referring to? I would think that I would too easily bend such a small bolt and perhaps snap it off with the weight of my leg resting on it. I can ride it now... it just requires me to place my foot on the remaining pieces of the bracket the peg connects to. I shall have to see what size bolts are used to hold on the rearset though, I have found one to be missing...

Anyways, thanks for the suggestion...

·
Registered
77 Posts
I live in the mountains where there are twisties all around. Since my bike is lowered ('04 Zed750) I always allow the soles of my boots to scrape, as soon as I feel it, I hold that position thru the turn. I purposely don't want to drag the peg, I'm worried the pipe will hit and I'll high side.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
mikimoto said:
I live in the mountains where there are twisties all around. Since my bike is lowered ('04 Zed750) I always allow the soles of my boots to scrape, as soon as I feel it, I hold that position thru the turn. I purposely don't want to drag the peg, I'm worried the pipe will hit and I'll high side.
Good suggestion mikimoto!

Aikata - I'll go out to the garage tommorow and take a closer look on the 250 to see what is feasible.

·
Registered
380 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
mikimoto said:
Hmmm... great idea! Thanks for the tip... now I just will need to get a set of boots that are designed to scrape :)

1Adam12 - Hey thanks... seems my pegs and bracket was backordered so I have to wait another week to ride with two pegs again.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
SILLY?

Silly, not really! When I was stationed aboard ship in Hawaii, we had our motorcycles right there close to the gate so that we could get off base in a hurry when we pulled into port. We (several of us) had plates on the bottom of our heels and sides of our boots just For riding. It was cool to go around a corner, leading a pack and leave sparks behind roostertailing as you went. when we all has the edges worn we would stand on our heels and leave some AWESOME roostertails! Young, dumb, and crazy, no one was ever hurt, although we did get pulled over on the Air Force Base one night...all in all it was a blast, an dit is not something that i would suggest unles you are looking to break a leg, or get in real trouble with the law on. Little sparks are okay, roostertailing is a serious offence and could get you in much trouble! Fires start very easily and sometimes it only takes a spark...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Aikata said:
mikimoto said:
Hmmm... great idea! Thanks for the tip... now I just will need to get a set of boots that are designed to scrape :)

1Adam12 - Hey thanks... seems my pegs and bracket was backordered so I have to wait another week to ride with two pegs again.
Take your pick on one of the rear set bolts and replace it with a bolt from your hardware store - about 3 - 4" long.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Nothing wrong with dragging pegs...IF you have good tires.

Get good tires and you won't have to wory about dragging your pegs, when you start ( and you will start) feeling the rear twitch or slide then you need to replace the tires...or slow down...once your tires are up to their optimum temperature. There is absolutely nothing wrong with it. If youare worried about the pipes dragging just do a makeshift wire (even a coathanger for the testing) and have it just a couple of inches away from the exhaust pipe and see if it even touches before the peg gets some serious dragging on it in a curve...Tires are cheaper than dropping the bike, and a lower seat like a corbin is better than lowering your complete bike...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts