Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok.. for Christmas I decided to add a windshield to my 2006 Vulcan 1500 Classic.
I purchased the Fire and Steel oem shield which is can be set to 18" tall. After receiving it and installing and testing on the road I was getting quite a bit of buffeting to where my helmet would literally shake at speeds above 40 mph. Next step - Add the OEM Fire & Steel Lowers. I installed them last night and tested today. Buffeting is better but once I hit around 60 mph it gets bad again.
I am 6 ' tall and I have my eyeline is about 3 - 4 inches above the top of the windshield. So my next thought is get a bigger windshield. Here are my questions before I take that next step.

1. Once I get a taller shield how much of a difference will it make?
2. Does anyone make a taller shield that will mount to the Kawasaki brackets?
3. Any recommendations for an after market shield that can be mounted without moving the turn signals would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks for any input.

·
One of Four
1,231 Posts
I had the same problem with my helmet vibrating like that about the same speeds. I cut my shield down shorter because I didn't want to go bigger. Of course going shorter you lose some protection.

Are you wearing a full face? If the wind is hitting you about the chin of you wear a ff I'd say you need it to hit you about eyes or higher I don't know for sure. I'm just going on the trail and error I had when I had the problem.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
FF helmet?
Crack the visor open and see if it helps.
If it does, then air is entering the chin area of the helmet. A chin curtain should help.

I wear a half-helmet and experience no problems, even before I installed lowers.
My shield IS high (I'm looking through it), but others have reported that it doesn't make any difference, and in fact, my particular shield, National Cycle Switchblade, is a source of frequent complaints due to the large gap between the headlight housing and the bottom of the shield.

·
Vulcan 1600 Classic
490 Posts
I find that with my SwitchCraft Deflector shield, I get much less buffeting than with larger shields. Don't really know why....but hardly no buffeting at all!

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I tested with both a FF helmet and 3/4 helmet and same thing. I even went as far as tested a buddy's Harley with a 20" shield and I could tell a difference. I guess that kinds of answer my first question on my initial post. Duh

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Okiecop... thanks for the tip. I ordered just ordered an 22.5 inch shield from clearview. They actually had one in stock and on sale. I will really be able to compare the smaller and larger shields and hopefully see a nice improvement with the bigger shield.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'd be interested in what you find with the taller windshield.

I got an '07 vn900 Classic LT with the huge, factory windshield last August and immediately noticed more buffeting than I was used to on my '02 vn800 Classic with a much smaller Memphis Shades Fats windshield -- no lowers.

I've lowered the 900 LT's windshield all the way down and because of my 5'8" stature, am still looking through the windshield. On the 800, I was looking about three inches over the top of the shield with little noticeable buffeting.

I'm coming to the conclusion that the design of the huge Kawi factory windshield -- size, curvature, and slant -- is conducive to wind eddying around the edges to fill the vacuum and blasting the rider. The smaller Memphis Shades Fats, on the other hand, must have been better at directing the wind over and around the rider.

·
Registered
297 Posts
Glad I could help. Let me know about the shield, I am thinking of ordering one myself.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I received and installed my Clearview 22.5" shield today. It fit perfectly with the hardware from my 16" F&S windshield. I also like the fact it is about 3 inches wider than the Kawasaki shields. First ride was much better with very little head buffeting even up to 85 mph. Shield is very clear and appears to be very sturdy. I don't know if this is true with all their shields, but my only warning with the 22.5 model is you cannot lower it all the way down on the brackets. It will hit the headlight with about 1/2 inch to go. Not a big deal, but thought I would mention it. I am happy with purchase.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts