Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question that maybe only a Kawa wrench can answer, but if anyone else knows, please chime in! :)

I have an 06 Nomad 1600. I experienced the classic "clutch slip" that seems to plague these models with relatively few miles. I decided instead of just changing out the diaphragm spring, I would shotgun the entire clutch.

I went with the Barnett disks, Meanie springs, Barnett diaphragm spring, etc. It all works fine even after trashing (and replacing) a limiter washer that slipped out of position.

Anyway, here's the question: while I was in there I naturally was curiously checking out the other parts, gears and such which live behind the right side cover and I noticed something curious about the oil pump gear. There seems to be an excessive amount of play in that gear shaft.

I'd expect some end play, but it seemed to have some side-to-side play as well. How much, I don't know. But after wrenching on stuff since I was 15 years old, it kinda didn't seem right.

I have fine oil pressure with no problems at all. Engine runs pretty darned quiet after it reaches operating temp (like all of these large V-Twins I am told). I am sure the oil pump gear was engaged properly before I torqued the 27mm clutch bolt. The situation with that gear play I find a bit curious which is why I'm posing the question as to whether or not this is normal? I mean, perhaps the Kawa engineers left some play on that needle bearing to compensate for when the motor heats up?

If anyone can lend some info. on this I'd appreciate it to satisfy my curiosity.

Thanks!

Tom

·
Registered
48 Posts
Well i had my 1500 classic apaprt and that oil pump gear has no side play. It has about 1 milimeter in/out play (the shaft of the oil pump moves in/out), wich is nothing to be worried about.
Happy New Year
Sebastijan

·
Barrett Motorcycle Repair
202 Posts
Sorry Tom it shouldn't have any side to side play in and out yes a little , but there really shouldn't be any side to side play

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Well, I guess I have to wait until it fails or at least starts to fail and then have the dealer tear it apart and fix it.. I have notified them in writing out the situation (email) and the service manager did reply, but with no definitive answer. I think he may have forgoten about it. Oh well... Thanks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts