Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This is my second i've owned and last september i went with the driver backrest this time around. While i like it for back support, i really think i like the look of the dual seat withOUT the backrest. Keep in mind i know i can just pop it off but there really is no back support at ALL then. At least the normal dual setup has the passenger seat kinda overlap the driver seat giving support to my back.

Now judging from pictures it seems that if i purchase just the rear passenger seat from the normal dual setup i should be able to make that work with my driver seat. but again, this is just judging from the pictures ive looked at in my mustang catalogue.

Also, i dont even know if Mustang sells just the rear seat. Anyone have any ideas? Ive already sent an email to mustang but i figured id just ask around here second.

-Bill

·
Slow Guy on a Fast Bike
25,224 Posts
I have a Mustang Solo w/driver's backrest, and truth be told find the seat supporitve enough without the backrest for all but the longest road trips.

Are you saying you're thinking of trying to purchase a Mustang passenger pillion only, and to install it behind your stock driver's seat? I am not sure that will work, but Mustang would know better than me.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Are you saying you're thinking of trying to purchase a Mustang passenger pillion only, and to install it behind your stock driver's seat?
Thats exactly what im saying. I already own the passenger pillion but the one for the normal dual seat looks different since it butts up against the top of the seat.

I tried riding w/out the backrest and it felt like no support at all. then again, it was only a quick ride and it was probably normal to feel weird since i never take the backrest off. I'll see what Mustang has to say themselves.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
As far as I know, Mustang only makes one driver's seat, with the cutout and velcro flap for the backrest.

I see no reason why the standard pillion wouldn't work with the Mustang driver's seat.

Give them a call or shoot them an email. They were very responsive when I ordered my passenger backrest pad.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
As far as I know, Mustang only makes one driver's seat, with the cutout and velcro flap for the backrest.

I see no reason why the standard pillion wouldn't work with the Mustang driver's seat.

Give them a call or shoot them an email. They were very responsive when I ordered my passenger backrest pad.
Yeah i emailed them yesterday and they already got back to me in less than a day. not bad. turns out i CAN order just the passenger pillion and it will work fine without using my backrest. the problem? its pretty steep at 200 bucks AND its on back order to boot.

Only way i think id do this is if someone offered to buy my passenger pillion but who would want that, you know??? :|

·
Logged A Few Miles
113 Posts
I have the full set up, mustang drivers seat, passanger pillion, and back rest.
i find the seat has lots of support even without the backrest which I seldom use.
I find the backrest pushes me a little forward of my ideal seat position.

on another note, where on L.I.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I have the full set up, mustang drivers seat, passanger pillion, and back rest.
i find the seat has lots of support even without the backrest which I seldom use.
I find the backrest pushes me a little forward of my ideal seat position.

on another note, where on L.I.
Seaford to be exact. how about you? You really think the backrest pushed you forward? i thought that at first until i turned the adjustment screw way back to my liking. :)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Yeah i emailed them yesterday and they already got back to me in less than a day. not bad. turns out i CAN order just the passenger pillion and it will work fine without using my backrest. the problem? its pretty steep at 200 bucks AND its on back order to boot.

Only way i think id do this is if someone offered to buy my passenger pillion but who would want that, you know??? :|
There is an alternative....

Buy the full set and eBay the rider's seat to someone who wants to run their bike solo... though at $450 for the pair, you'd have to get better than $250 for the seat to break even, and they sell the solo seat for $299.
I'm sure you can do better than $450 from Bikerhaven or one of the other eBay sellers, but again, you'd be competing against them selling the saddle.

·
Logged A Few Miles
113 Posts
I'm in Oceanside.

The saddle for the 1500 has the Backrest in the pillion, not the drivers seat, might account for different position. A buddy of mine with a machine shop in Freeport is going to try and a make replacement for the vertical support, with a one inch offset. crossed fingers for both function and looks.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
My question is, can I use the stock solo seat, and marry it up with a Mustang pillon with the back rest in it ?

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Bill,

As I understand it, you've now got the dual seat with backrest and you're trying to change things so the passenger pillion sticks up higher, like the one on the dual seat without the backrest, so you can pull your backrest out and use the pillion as a backrest like it's done on the seat without a backrest. Mustang will sell you the pillion that comes with the dual without backrest, but they want too much money for it. Does that put it in a nutshell?

Why don't you take a couple pictures of the dual seat without backrest, your seat with the backrest, and go see your local auto upholsterer? I'd bet he/she could put a pillion, the way you want, on your seat.

·
Test Pilot
2,916 Posts
1 - 14 of 14 Posts