Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 04 Ninja 636 is jumping when I put in first gear. I lowered the idle but it seems to jump as if the clutch is not holding the bike in first. As I decelerate and let the throttle off the bike seems to continue to rev high. As if I was fighting the break to stop the bike. Three weeks ago I tightened the chain and this when I noticed the change. The chain does not seem to be overtight. Could this be a related problem? Thanks

·
Registered
605 Posts
1. your clutch could be slipping
2. your throttle cable may have a kink in it, holding the revs higher despite the fact that you've let up on the throttle.
3. I don't deal with chains...only shaft drives :)

·
Registered
447 Posts
My 2003 ZX-6RR does the same thing, I pull in the clutch all the way and when I engage first gear the bike seems to jump forward, no big deal IMO.

According to the service manual your engine idle RPM's should be 1350 when the engine is up to temperature. Check your chain tension using the procedure outlined in the service manual.

Anyone else having the same experience???

I hope this helps!
:D

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
snaxboy said:
1. My 04 Ninja 636 is jumping when I put in first gear. I lowered the idle but it seems to jump as if the clutch is not holding the bike in first.

2. As I decelerate and let the throttle off the bike seems to continue to rev high. As if I was fighting the break to stop the bike.

3. Three weeks ago I tightened the chain and this when I noticed the change. The chain does not seem to be overtight. Could this be a related problem? Thanks
1. does the bike ACTUALLY JUMP FORWARD or just make a CLUNK ? if its just a clunk then no worries its just kawasaki tranny's for ya. my ZRX makes a nice THUNK going into first. it gets better with milage

2. is your throttle ADJUSTED CORRECTLY ? you should have an 1/8" slack in the grip (from the gripe being fully OFF to where it starts pulling on the cable)

3. you may have your chain too tight. look in the manual or on your chain guard and make sure its at the correct slack (im guessin 1 1/4" or so)

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
This may seem like a no brainer but if you leave your choke on it can do that as well. I doubt you did but just something to keep in mind.

·
Registered
487 Posts
with a wet clutch, try to get in the habit of pumping your clutch lever a couple of times with the bike running and in neutral. this should help with the lurch when you put it in gear.

·
Registered
487 Posts
also, when I was running castrol non synthetic, the bike started to lurch bad when I put it in gear. I switched to a motorcycle specific oil and the problem went away.

·
Registered
605 Posts
yeah, with multi plate wet clutches after you start her up, hold the clutch in for 30 seconds without putting it in gear, this will enable the excess junk and oil to separate the plates that are sticky, you'll notice you won't get such a clunk when you firs tput it in gear.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Check

When you stand upright on the bike and turn if from full right to full left or vice-versa does the bike increase or decrease in RPM's...if so your throttle cable needs to re rerouted or you need to allow for more slack in it. Thunking and surging forward is normal for a new clutch...as it grabs great, then it reaks in...another reason to break a bike in as per recommendations...use a non synthetic oil until the rings and stuff have seated or you will take forever to get the mileage to have the bike actually break in...Try a little slack in te cable as well...it dowsn't hae to be much...just enough htat you know that it has been adjusted by feel...

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
thanks again guys

I took fairing off a week ago to clean. I routed the throttle cable under one of the fairing bolts. This was the reason for the throttle run on. I am about to change the oil for the second time. 1000 miles. I was told to switch to synthetic oil what is your recommendation?

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Mileage

I think if you were keeping a logbook and heve noticed that yor fuel mileage is still increasing and hasn't topped out yet you would wait till you had about 3000 miles on it. I'd recommend then changing the oilfilter at 5000 and then just changing the oil filter evrry 5000 till you get into a six month interval...every 6 months change the oil and filter other wise only every 5000 for the filter only..note every time you change the filter yo will be adding fresh oil to the bike.I suggest a pure 100% synthetic...a good brand...I use AMSOIL 10-50

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
thanks

Thanks for the oil info. I was just being over cautious with the changes. I was always told you can never change the oil too much. I do keep the log that came with the manual. Good idea to add performance changes. Thanks again.

·
Registered
671 Posts
I have 04 ZX 636 and I have same jump thing, when i switch to first on clutch, but it started after I changed oil, I put 10w-40 bike oil in there, I don't know. I think its new clutch or something, because I just bought the bike. the clutch disks look pretty new though.

·
Registered
11,821 Posts
I have 04 ZX 636 and I have same jump thing, when i switch to first on clutch, but it started after I changed oil, I put 10w-40 bike oil in there, I don't know. I think its new clutch or something, because I just bought the bike. the clutch disks look pretty new though.
Choke on? What is your idle set at?

1 - 20 of 21 Posts