Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm new to motorcycle, so excuse me for a stupid question. Could anybody tell me where the vacuum ports (to attach gauges to) are located? I have "Clymer" manual for the bike, and it says: ... remove the rubber covers and vacuum plug screws... I checked all the pictures in the book. There is no mention of "vacuum plug screws" :x . I spent a lot of time examining the carburetor itself, and could not find out these rubber covers. Should I remove the fuel tank first? My last hope is somebody here will help me!
Thank you in advance!
P.S. Carburetor type is: Keihin CVK34.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
QKENUF4U said:
http://www.ronayers.com/fiche/400_0521/carburetor/carburetor.cfm

#92059B is the port where the vacumn guages go to synch. the carbs. (you will have to supple vacumn to the petcock or put it on PRIME to use the tank or use a remote gas tank)

#92001 is the screw used to synch the carbs to each other.

not too sure about these RUBBER PLUGS they talk about. :?:

good luck :wink:
Thank you very much.
As far as I understand, I need to disconnect 2 rubber hoses (the left one goes directly to the petcock, the right one... I'm not sure where does it go) and connect vacuum gauges instead of them. Is it correct?
How can I supply vacuum to the petcock? Do I need a special adapter?
And a little bit off-topic. How do you find Clymer manual? I personally think it's very confusing and sometimes misleading.
Thank you!

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
igor_can said:
1. Thank you very much.

2. I need to disconnect 2 rubber hoses (the left one goes directly to the petcock, the right one... I'm not sure where does it go) and connect vacuum gauges instead of them. Is it correct?

3. How can I supply vacuum to the petcock? Do I need a special adapter?

4. And a little bit off-topic. How do you find Clymer manual? I personally think it's very confusing and sometimes misleading.
1. your welcome. glad to help.
2. yes your are correct. do you have a carb synch tool ?
3. i dont know for sure but if the petcock has PRIME on it then you dont have to supply vacumn. if you need to supply vacumn you could get a mity-vac and put vacumn to it. im not a 100% positive but you could also put a "T" fitting in the line from the carb outlet, then attach the one outlet to the carb synch and the other outlet to the petcock to supply vacumn. im not sure if that would cause problems in the readings or not.
4. the best manaul you can get is the FACTORY SERVICE MANUAL. the aftermarket manuals are sparse and for the experienced mech.
good luck :wink:

·
Registered
1,372 Posts
Not sure where the vacuum tubes go on your bike but remove them while you do the synchronization. Put your petcock on prime to allow gas to gravity feed. Start the bike and warm it. Once it idles nicely without the choke on, shut it off, remove the tubes and put the two hoses from the manometer on the vacuum nipples. Start the bike and let it idle. Then adjust the screw used to balance the carburetors. Essentially, on a twin, only one carb can be adjusted with the other used as a reference. It is probably easiest to put the bike on centerstand and use your gas tank as the fuel source. You can probably stick something UNDER the tank so you will gain a bit of room for turning the balance screw.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks everybody!
I checked the petcock, and it does not have PRI (prime) position. It has ON-OFF-RESERVE only. And it has a vacuum hose attached to it. Is it possible, that the vacuum operated petcock does not have PRIME?

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
igor_can said:
Thanks everybody!
I checked the petcock, and it does not have PRI (prime) position. It has ON-OFF-RESERVE only. And it has a vacuum hose attached to it. Is it possible, that the vacuum operated petcock does not have PRIME?
thats ok, just do this.
pull your fuel line off and flip the switch around till you find which position flows fuel WITHOUT the engine running.

·
Registered
7 Posts
This has worked for me on an '89 EX500 fuel tank

My tank's petcock does not flow fuel without vacuum to the interlock on the back. I took an old photography airbulb (picture the top of a turkey baster but with a 'snout' that tapers down into a small tube), cut off the tube at about the diameter necessary to fit on the petcock, squeezed out most of the air from the bulb, and applied the bulb to the fitting. The vacuum from the bulb was enough to open the interlock and flow fuel.

YMMV...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts