Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm brand-new to the Kawasaki forums, having just purchased one this past weekend, but had a question for you all. My new ride, a KZ305 from 1982, has some initial difficulty starting. When I choke it, I can get it started okay, but have to keep the throttle up so that the engine doesn't die. I generally have to keep the throttle up for maybe three minutes, after which I release the choke and the bike will idle just fine (ie, without me having to give it any throttle). Apart from this, the bike runs great - no stalling when riding or anything of that nature.

My question is simply: is this something I should be concerned about? I know I should let it warm up a few minutes before riding, and had planned on doing that, but should I be concerned that it won't idle initially without having some gas? My only other bike (a Honda Rebel) was one I had in college, ten years ago, and this was never an issue with it.

I appreciate any feedback you all can give me.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts
Very typical for carbed bikes of that vintage. It's because of EPA mandates and the very lean mixtures needed to meet them. Your bike's behavior sounds pretty normal.

·
Registered
4 Posts
hello iv got an 86 kz305 ltd i just picked up for 200.00 anyways i pulled the carbs thay are clean i put a new battery in it and started fine with choke ran good for a min turned off choke and it started reving up and pulsing it revs vary hi so i thought the throttle was sticking so i hit it a little to try to release it and thare wasent any throttle response at all its like the bike has a mind of its own it will rev up then go down rev up and go vary hi when it revs down i hit the throttle and its like it isent even there any help would be great thanks

1 - 4 of 4 Posts