Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well ever since thoughts of upgrading my ex500 to something bigger, I wanted to have some sort of "rite of passage". That is to attend a Riding school.

I live in So. Cal. so I am now thinking of SBS(SuperBikeSchool) the 2 day camp.

I've only put on 11k freeway riding(about 1k/mo) and I'm kind of weary that maybe it is too early? The ex500 is the only bike I've ridden, save for the 250 Rebel at MSF.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
At 11k on the EX500, I think you might be a bit early.

Look up StreetMasters. They operate out of the Palmdale area. I think it's a 1-day class, but it might be 2. A lot of focus on control of the bike in low-speed parking lot situations, not unlike the RLAP classes, but then you head out onto the road course and learn how far you can push the bike in the twisties.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
thats the course I was thinking of taking when budget allows, heard a lot of good things about it

glad to hear a rider is extending his training though.

soooooooooo

ggman, you joining us on the 12th ?

·
Registered
237 Posts
I wish i could join you guys on the 12th, i know it would be a great day, but i have 2 problems lol, I dont have a motorcycle yet, and i live in Florida lmao.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I think Streetmasters is about $300.

Have to see how it looks after tax refunds and budgeting for Stateline, Red Lodge, and paying bills.

I'd like to get the bill collector phone calls down to 4 or 5 a day :frown:

·
Lets RIDE!
934 Posts
I don't think it's too early at all. Most track day courses split you up in groups depending on your experience. I've only put 20k km on my zixxer and in the summer a guy from the ducati dealership saw me riding on the street's. He chased me down and invited me to race him this summer on the track!

For all those who live near Calgary, ducati will be holding track days in May. I'll be on the 848 and my zixxer. Cya there!

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
ggman, you joining us on the 12th ?
my weekends are sundays and mondays, so no go for me..

After putting more thoughts into it(school part), I am going to go for it. I allow myself to have a 'carpe diem' moment at least once a year and this should take care of it. Track days will probably follow.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
Zoom Zoom has started an advanced riding class that's taught on the track. I don't immediately see anything about it on their webpage, but I'm sure if you called, they'd send you some info.

·
Addicted to riding…
1,892 Posts
I want to do the one-day Superbike School, in order to learn how to corner better. I don't even have 1,000 miles under my belt, but I think it will be tremendously helpful, especially since the only way to get off the coast is to ride the twisties. They'll even let me bring my EX500, woohoo! :D

·
Registered
209 Posts
Msf Erc

Motorcycle Safety Foundation + Experienced Rider Course = One course taught by instructors from the Motorcycle Safety Foundation. Two courses?

It seems to me that any training that you take to enhance your riding skills is worthwhile. You just might learn something that will help you when you get into a tight situation. More importantly the training may keep you out of a serious situation and or provide you with a means of escaping an accident because you practiced the maneuver in class.

Motorcycle Safety Foundation

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
+10,000

ANY experience is good experience.

BUT!

There's a big difference between 30,000 miles of experience, and 50 miles of experience repeated 600 times.

Sadly, there are far too many who may have 30k under their grips, but it's the same 50 miles to and from work, or the same 100 mile Sunday afternoon ride, or the same 20 mile ride to the local watering hole.

Ya, their skills have improved over when they were beginners, but the reached an early plateau.

That's why when organizing rides for the SoCal group, we try to throw in a little bit for everyone, weather and road conditions permitting. We've done intense twisty rides in Malibu and Palomar, high-speed, moderately long distance slab rides, and casual coast highway rides with heavy cager traffic and a lot of stop-and-go.

Anything new makes you a better rider... but outside of a cager doing something stupid, or gravel/oil/ice in a high speed corner, where do most riders drop their bikes? In a parking lot, making a U-turn, or even starting out from a dead stop into a right turn. All slow speed basic skills.

·
Time to Ride
7,572 Posts
one problem Rich, the slow speed drop of the bike doesnt scare me that much, the high side at 50mph avoiding a numbnuts who just pulled in front of me............thats scary

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
one problem Rich, the slow speed drop of the bike doesnt scare me that much, the high side at 50mph avoiding a numbnuts who just pulled in front of me............thats scary
Unfortunately (fortunately?) they don't teach that in real-world scenarios.

They need a good real-time simulator for bikes.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts