Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
57 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Grr, just gotta start by saying that because I typed out this entire thing, then had it erased because of this here computer. :(

Anyway, back to the topic : A friend recently linked me to www.rideicon.com a few months ago as having good riding gear. I checked it out and found a bunch of stuff I liked. I'm gonna go ahead and list all the stuff I will most likely buy if I don't change my mind or have it changed by you guys. :)

www.rideicon.com

Jacket : TiMAX Mesh (199.95) - black

"The ultimate jacket for warm weather riding. The TiMax Mesh Jacket features an open-weave mesh chassis that provides superior airflow, while the genuine titanium plates and reinforced shoulder, elbow , and back panels keep you covered. The anatomically derived pattern utilizes an action-back and jointed sleeves for an incredible fit. Simply stated, this is the most technical, innovative mesh jacket available. More airflow, more comfort, more coverage.
3 genuine titanium armor plates.
Breathable mesh chassis.
Titanium thread reinforcements in elbow, shoulders and back.
Action-back for dynamic fit.
Integrated sort armor padding.
Rivet reinforced seams.
Windflap elimination snaps.
Waist adjustment straps.
Cell phone internal breast pocket."

Helmet : Mainframe Rubatone (219.95) - black

"The Icon Mainframe helmet was designed with the rider's safety, fit and function in mind. The mainframe helmet features a venturi super-vent system for the ultimate in airflow. A three position dorsal switch acts as an additional ram-air vent to increase the overall cooling of the helmet. The shell is constructed of a (fiberglass/dyneema) blend and is lined with a dual density styrene liner for incredible strength without undue weight. Also incorporated into the design are removable/washable cheek pads, removable anti-fog breath deflector, and the industry's easiest no-tool quick change shield. Exceeds all DOT and Snell M2000 standards.
Super-vent venturi cooling system.
Secondary ram-air forehead vent.
Strategically placed exhaust vent.
Internal on/off chin exhaust switch offers control of escaping air.
Positive-lock chin venting system helps prevent fogging.
Side exhaust port works in conjunction with internal chin exhaust to release old air.
Optically correct Polycarbonate, 7-position shield offers safe, clear vision and easy no-tool replacement system.
Removable breath deflector.
Removable cheek pads with formed ear pockets that can accept communication or audio speakers."

Gloves : Super Duty(39.95) - black

"An incredible cross between motocross glove technology and the demands of a serious deerskin leather street glove. Incredible comfort and as much protection as many other so called "armored" gloves.
Comfortable, durable deerskin construction.
Extensivley padded knuckles with expansion panels.
Short cuff design with wrist closure.
Thumb gusset increases durability.
Stretch Cordura finger gussets.
Tackified fingertip interfaces.
Rubber fingertip armor.
2-ply padded palm.
1-year warranty.
"

Boots : Already got some nice ones that would be good for riding.

Pants : On the one hand, I see how pants could play an integral role in preventing injuries, but on the other hand, I see them as MUCH more inconvienant than other safety gear. Forgive my ignorance, but can you just wear pants over your denims, then strip em off after you go for a ride and stash em somewhere?

So, without pants, this comes to nearly 500$ which is about my budget. Safety is obviously the highest priority, but value plays a key role as well. I know I can't afford an Arai helmet, for example. So how would you rate the effectiveness of this gear? Is it a good value how much I will be spending on it? What is some other stuff you would recommend?

Also : I am debating if I should get a brightly colored jacket to help increase my odds of being seen. However, does this really make a noticeable difference?

Thanks a bunch for all the help.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GEAR

BLACK gets real hot to wear in the daytime especially when the sun is baking you and the traffic is at a standstill and you start melting...Personally, I prefer a white helmet and then apply my own 3M reflective tape to it...even the reflective "Kawasaki" decals that are sold are fairly cheap protection...Right now I'm wearing a custom painted helmet, and I have military lace up boots (they provide ankle support leg support and are fairly inexpensive for what all they do for you), and my black leather jacket (Vanson size 38) is to small, so I may go to something brighter and with reflective stripping in it. Being seen day or night is Really important to me. Full finger gloves are a must and they tuck inside your pockets real easy...and yes you can afford the helmet that you want (IF you find one that fits) look around at the various websites..EVEN THE MANUFACTURER...I found one that was selling them cheap because the paint jobs were not perfect on the entire run that they received. AGV/ Bell/ Shark/Check the ones that fit then pound out the keys...sometimes the dealerships offer them at cost too...that sounds wierd, but it was a door opener for me when I bought my ATV...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
PANTS

My personal preferance for pants, and yes you can get over size ones, is cargo pants. even the hunters kind if you are going to wear then in the rain and on the road...this allows you not to set on your wallet, have pockets available for change, anything that you need including your cell phone and headset cord...the new ones at the sporting center are breathable and yet hold out water and are very strong pants. Seeing I will be riding mostly local I'll be wearing either white painters pants, or black cargo/military uniform trousers. Gloves come in all sizes colors, but in the summer time I prefer my Vanson summer riding gloves, they are just about as thin as baseball or golf gloves but even when I tore one up 1989 sliding across the highway, I had not a single scratch, only a lighter pocket afterwards from ordering another pair...Padding is not necessary...but full Fingered gloves ARE mandantory, in my book!

·
Registered
10 Posts
leather makes you feel good..
soemtimes too good.. might be hot but if its white/light and perforated it mught be ok... black vs. white is bout 10F difference I have heard!

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BLACK in the SUMMER HEAT

My first and last helmet, BLACK is a BELL M2 full race helmet and it was primered and painted after the first week of the sun hitting it. I still after ALL of these years have it...it's about 12 years old and in awesome condition. Lighter color and definately a light helmet is in order for my next helmet. My 250 is yellow and with the mods on it being white and having a black seat(for now), I'll get white helmet and add reflective yellow, and perhaps some reflective white or silver pinstriping, and "ZX-2R" will be reflective as well. I have always put my name, SSN, blood type on embossing tape across the top of my helmet face shield. It goes all the way across but it gives emergency personnel a clue to who I am should I get run over and knocked out..or worse. Black leather leaches out dyes through to you when it gets wet like in a sudden downpour...good thing is that it shrinks to fit when you are riding cross country. I like Leather best of all...but I may check into the tek-mesh as I'm a believer in Kevlar. I have used it in sailplane wings, and in a shooters target box and I'm impressed with it's qualities. BIg plus for me is that once I get the bike back on the road, I'll be using it for a business of transporting documents from attorneys to the courthouse and back, and then too special delivery, or serving people for the attornies as well. So, Kevlar is my friend...and White is cooler than black...but the Flame job yellow over black suit is almost to good to pass up. The MSF decal for your helmet after you pass the course is reflective, so are most of your insurance emblems...but 3M has all the colors that you could imagine...yellow, green, red, orange, blue, white, silver...if yu want to design something on your own helmet. I like the reflective material sewn into most fo the new Tek gear...where the leather doesn't seem to have it. DryRider suits are great for rain and fog and can be seen quite aways away in the fog or at night when you need an extra layer on for cruising.

·
Registered
209 Posts
I low sided going about 20-25. I was wearing my helmet and gloves (Alpinestar MRX) and jeans and a T-shirt. I scraped up my arm pretty decent, but nothing happened to my hands. The gloves took a beating, but are still in good enough shape to wear, just scratched up.
I just bought a black KBC. It had the styling (top ridges/vents) of the expensive Arai's and Shoei's, but half the price.

Any noobs out there remember sand and gravel on top of pavement sucks, so be careful and don't accelerate.

·
Registered
116 Posts
See my post titled "Ouch"

It doesn't matter what brand you buy, just wear the stuff. I was in a hurry this morning when I left. Almost went without my jacket. Good thing I didn't.

Leather is nice but the textiles have come a long way and are cheaper. Spend lots of money on a helmet, not for the pretty colors, but for light weight and great protection. You'll want a light one when you're on a long ride and your neck gets tired. You CAN'T replace your noggin.

My black jacket "was" hot (I ventilated it pretty good :D) in the sun. It's that cordura stuff, held up rather well for hitting pavement at 70mph.

·
Registered
32 Posts
ZX-2R: a 12 year-old helmet??? that's kinda pushing the 5 year rule isn't it?

Being ex-military i have my mil-spec issue boots that work really well and are really not that expensive (about $75 from a surplus place) if they are true mil-spec they will be steel toe and have good construction.

Jacket: i either use my modfied Kevlier Jacket (with reflective materials sewed in) or my Paramedic jacket and liner (not as safe but many reflecters and the bright blue star of life usually gets people to pay attention)

Pants: Cargo pants. they let me hold my wallet without sitting on it, and my fastpass (for bridges) in my pocket without having to try and find it in time in my backpack.

you get the idea. just be safe

EDIT: either a braclet or dog-tages for ID. EMT/Paramedic are supposed to (and we do) check your wrists and neck for id first. I wear a set of dog-tages with name, ssn, bloodtype, phone # on it. allthough i do like the idea of taping it to your helmet. a little morbid through :)

kris

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
12 year old helmet, time to retire that puppy, can't garanty that it'll still have it's original integrity should you need it.

Draggin jeans or Joe Rocket Atomic jeans, the atomic have built in padding but the draggin jeans are kevlar lined and have pockets for adding pads if you so wish.

Also available heavy leather trousers that zip up both sides allowing you to put them on or take them off easily enough. Just make sure the zipper is good and sturdy.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
GEAR

Yes the 12 year old helmet is in great shape...and it has the custom paint...and it is a BELL M2...Read Fiberglass and VERY Heavy. I wore my other helmets. I'm still reading the propaganda on all or hte new ones. I want nothing less than a lightweight Snell Approved Full face. My HJC is about a year old, but I wore it on the ATV...not a cool helmet look for a sport bike...all dirt bike and goggle setup. Vanson has a nice jacket, the Night Falcon, with 3M Scotchlite reflective piping and for $395.00 (retail) and in yellow/black, I may just have to get one. My old Vanson racing jacket is solid black Leather (38) and I'm now a 42. I don't know who carries it, other than through the factory...perhaps Beartooth??? I definately like my cargo pants for riding in as getting to things on/off the bike is so easy and I'm not setting on my wallet. In the old days (before cargo pants, I'd carry a wallet just with my Military ID, Drivers License, credit card and about $50.00 worth of cash in my coat pocket. I still have, wear, polish my military boots...carry a micro flashlight, and things like that, including a packet of dental floss which can be used for hundreds of things out on the road... I may try to get a duplicate license, carry my card and cash again. My helmet visor only has Lindsey J. Angell 510-60-5699 BT O+ on it in embossing tape. My military ID has all the same information and then some. I now have alergies to some medications and I think that perhaps Ksnarf, should post a reference to what is important to the first people on the scene as to what they look for and where...as a paramedic...LIFE is to precious to miss out on because we weren't thinking. My bracelet is not updated...and I thank you for bringing that to my attention...EVERYONE should do this before they ride...at least put it on your person somewhere where it will be found...while waiting for the necklace or bracelet to arrive in the mail. Sure the $40.00 is expensive for the bracelet, but in a lifesaving moment it is worth your entire life, if you have alergies like some of us do. Name, Blood type, everything in your wallet,,,medications you are currently taking, alergies to meds...

·
Registered
32 Posts
ZX-2R:
As a first responder (EMT, Paramedic) there are several regs and procedures we must follow.

1) after determining the most criticially injured person, we must attempt to make visual and auditry contact with this person. the first thing we always check is for a bracelet. on the bracelet you can list any allerges or illiness we would need to know about (diabetic, epelitic(sp), etc) as well as medications you either do or do not need
2) we check for a necklace containing information. Dog Tags are great and you will find most first responders and police wear them. they offer personal information while remaining hidden. you can get rubber silencers for them so no one hears them during day to day ops.you can find them on ebay for 4-8 bucks. if you can, have both of the tags, with one on a seperate smaller chain that we can get off and attach to your chart. the ER will usually cut off your tags, unless they are military issue, then they will ATTEMPT to get them off as alot of vets (myself inlcuded) wear their dog tags as a rememberance
3) if we are unable to find any information on you, you are assumed to have no allergies to latex. personally i wear non latex gloves and only give out non-aspirn medication until we can be sure but we don't have to.
Attaching to the helmet is a good idea, but we don't always take the time to read the stickers on the helmet and may just cut it off and throw it away if we need to. if you have a ring or other piece of jewerly that is VERY important to you, you might want to attach it to your dog tag chain, or put it in a pocket, because we will cut them off if we need to ( I do, my ring is attached to the chain while i am on duty or riding)
4) if you have someone that you want to be contacted, put their name and number in your wallet with EMERGENCY CONTACT so the ER can find it and get ahold of that person.

Everyone be safe and always wear your gear. I hope i never have to meet any of you in person while on duty :)

that's the basics. I am more than willing to answer anyones questions either here or in PM.

Edit: this is my information (good for template)
Tag 2 (shorter chain)
NAME
PARAMEDIC 1 (could be used as second line for allergies if you need it)
SSN
B POS
ALLERGIES

Tag 1 (Long Chain: Military)
LAST
FIRST MIDDLE USN
SERIAL
B POS
OTHER

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
COPY TO What I Learned Today or SPECIAL POSTING

Ksnarf...please copy...Paste or do the same for everyone on either hte lobby or What I learned Today...for those who may not be following our conversation. I spent my 20 years in the Navy, and yes I still have my Dog tags. I wear a cross and my wedding band around my neck on a cord not a chain (conductive in my Electronics world) and it is always tucked in as not so short out something that I may be working on. It's nice to run into someone that is outspoken as I am when it comes to safety. I hope that we never meet face to face in a critical situation. Having our fellowship on the Kawasaki Forum is great, and it would be nice to meet some of the members for rides when we pass through cities sometimes. Having this type of posting, you may ask "KAWI" about doing a special post on it. Even "Uncle Bob" too as he also runs the Suzuki Forum...
Lindsey J. Angell
OTM1 (IUSS)
US Navy Retired

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
First off, it would be preferable if you edited your post to remove any personal info and that you specified by line what info you are including.

The reason is that as a non-american I have no idea what the numbers under Paramedic are, same with the numbers under your name on the second tag. ( I'm assuming one of them is a social insurance number ).

But don't know if American and canadian SIN's have the same number of digits or if our European members even have a social insurance number.

I would imagine that in Canada a Canadian health insurance card number would be good info to have on there.

So if you edit your post to read

Family name, first name
Social insurance number
Blood type
Allergies

It would be preferable.

BTW to edit your post you can just click on Edit box in upper right hand corner of the post.

·
Registered
32 Posts
nope, i used a different social and USN Serial, and my name is spelled differently. I don't list real info on the 'net :)

Uncle Bob: if you feel my information is useful for other's to have, you may post it anywhere you may want. NOTE: most of these procedures are not limited to the US. most come from the International First Responders. an international organization designed to maintain standards throughout every country for how people get emergency help.

kris

1 - 16 of 16 Posts