Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey whats up i wanted more speed so i was thinking of getting smaller front sprocket, what type of speed will this give me off the line? alot more power?

How much top end will i lose? like 5mph?

THANKS!

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The power you have is the power you have. Dropping the size of the sprocket on the front will help you accelerate faster at the sacrifice of driving smoothly on the freeway. Most 250 riders do the opposite and add a size to the front sprocket. (15)

Unless you plan on being on a race track I would leave it alone or make it more rideable and go to a 15 tooth. If you want to get more performance out of your bike look into your handling package and change out the front springs and rear shock.

You are not going to burn anyone on a straightaway...

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
The other way to go is to add a dynojet kit or factory pro jet kit to add performance in your engine. You will still have the handling problem and that is what will get you into corners and out faster - not engine performance.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
...what type of power does jetkit give? How much does it cost?

like whats 1/4mile diff with jeting bike and if you keep stock exhaust is jetkit still good?

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
You can get whats called a Stage 1 kit. It is designed to help your engine breathe better with a stock exhaust. Typical cost is 80-90. It may give you 1-2 hp more at best.

The stage1 kit is designed to give you more useable low end to mid range power and a little on top. You are not going to see dramatic speed changes until you go to a Stage 3 kit, but that involves purchasing individual filters. You can retain the stock exhaust on a Stage 3 or maximize the kit by going with an aftermarket exhaust. Again, more money in the range of 300.00

As you can see it can add up quickly.

jet kit 90
filters 65
exhaust 300
$455

I would rather invest in better springs and shocks for the bike.
Fork Springs 85.00
Rear shock varies depending if you do a shock conversion or purchase new. New would be Penske custom, Works Performance and both would off the charts in getting to feel the road and rider better.

Personally me I went with a Ninja 600 shock and progressive springs on the front.

·
Registered
54 Posts
1Adam12 said:
You can get whats called a Stage 1 kit. It is designed to help your engine breathe better with a stock exhaust. Typical cost is 80-90. It may give you 1-2 hp more at best.

The stage1 kit is designed to give you more useable low end to mid range power and a little on top. You are not going to see dramatic speed changes until you go to a Stage 3 kit, but that involves purchasing individual filters. You can retain the stock exhaust on a Stage 3 or maximize the kit by going with an aftermarket exhaust. Again, more money in the range of 300.00

As you can see it can add up quickly.

jet kit 90
filters 65
exhaust 300
$455

I would rather invest in better springs and shocks for the bike.
Fork Springs 85.00
Rear shock varies depending if you do a shock conversion or purchase new. New would be Penske custom, Works Performance and both would off the charts in getting to feel the road and rider better.

Personally me I went with a Ninja 600 shock and progressive springs on the front.

actually check with K&N cause i just bought my jet kit from them for $31. they are discontinuing them. you might be able so save a little there...

·
Registered
380 Posts
1Adam12 said:
What year 600 did you steal a shock from?

·
Registered
16 Posts
sprocket

I just put a 15 tooth countershaft sprocket on my 250. Although it should give slower acceleration, it isn't noticeable because the gears are spread out, so you can go faster in each gear. The real benefit is highway riding, of course, but the drawbacks are minimal. It's only 20 bucks and half an hour of time if you want to try it. Suspension and tires are where you should put your money first on this bike. Hope that helps.

·
Registered
1,384 Posts
Aikata said:
1Adam12 said:
What year 600 did you steal a shock from?
It's a 91 ZX600 shock. I haven't put it together yet, but a for sure deal to fit is the 85-87 rear shock. I may have to modify...but haven't even messed with it yet. I know where a used fox shock is if you want to know. They wanted 225.00 for it.

·
Registered
456 Posts
jgriffgsr said:
Hey whats up i wanted more speed so i was thinking of getting smaller front sprocket, what type of speed will this give me off the line? alot more power?

How much top end will i lose? like 5mph?

THANKS!
Sprockets work on ratios. Do you remember your fractions in math class? If you change your 14 tooth front to 13 tooth, then your top speed drops to 13/14ths of what it was. Or another way to look at it is that your highway RPM's increase to 14/13th's of what they were before. So if your top speed was 114MPH, now it's 114*13/14=106MPH. And if your tach said 8,600RPM's at 70MPH, now it is 9,300RPM's.

Some people say that the 13 tooth sprocket helps off the line. Personally I doubt it's much benefit. You will get going quicker, but then you have to shift, and that eats into your acceleration.

Like 1Adam12 said, changing sprockets won't add any power to the bike. It will only change where you have your power (off the line or on the highway). I like the bigger sprocket up front to decrease highway RPM's.

And like 1Adam12 said, adding K&N pods and rejetting will give you an extra 1-2HP.
Curt

1 - 10 of 10 Posts