Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
First, we own two Kawasaki Bayou 300's, but we also have a 85 TRX 125 & 99 TRX 250(Recon).
My question is universal to all bikes...the metal gas tank on our 85 TRX 125 rotted out and I was finally able to get a Clarke plastic gas tank(unique to 85-86 TRX 125 only). The problem I am having is, the two outputs(main & reserve)for fuel are of course plastic, but there smooth, no nipple, so the fuel lines leak!?
I first tried zip ties, because there so close together, but that didn't work, so I put the "right" clamp on them...hose clamps.
But those do not work either, I assume because the tubes are smooth, plastic and no rib, nipple, nothing for the clamp to seal "above"?
Anyone have this issue or how to stop the leaking?

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Well, the first question: is the fuel hose the correct diameter or has it been swapped out with something that is close?

The 2nd thing to consider is the clamping. There are many kinds of hose clamps, so without a better description or a photo, we can't tell what you are using. Many people try to use gear clamps which is a kind of hose clamp but these don't work well on smaller hoses. The picture below, are the kind of clamps that I find work the best if you can get them in the right size. If not the picture below, also works well and these are available for very small diameters.

·
Registered
05 mule 3010
10 Posts
I like the spring version, when I can get the right diameter. (You can get a pretty wide assortment from the usual online suspects for about the same cost as a couple of screw clamps from a local hardware store.)

[DISCLAIMER: EXTREMELY HAZARDOUS STUFF FOLLOWS; DON'T TRY THIS AT HOME]
If I were a brave man, I'd consider draining, removing, completely airing out the tank to remove all fuel and fumes residue, and carefully using a heat gun & a lubed awl or ice pick to flare the tip of the nipple.

That assumes that I'd already checked the nipple for mold flash, and replaced the hose with new fuel rated hose of the right diameter for the nipple.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you both...I see now my mistake!?
I am using the "wrong" hose clamps, there designed for cooling lines and not a 360 degree clamp..
WFO, I love your screen name, the only time or use for that term came with fellow racers at PIR(Portland International Raceway)when I raced my 89 GSXR 1100. WFO was the term we all used as apposed to WOT? LOL
So, thank you for reminding me of my oversite and thank you for the response, I will try and get pics, but I did see on-line where one can buy a "new" fuel outlet for the Clarke tanks, I will see if I can grab that and post it here...it's exactly what I have/dealing with. Before I post(if I can)any pics of my issue, I am using clear vacuum line for the res line.

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Yes, those are gear clamps. They work ok in plumbing but not for fuel lines.

Thanks for remembering what WFO stands for. Racer lingo I guess. I used to race at Bryar Motorsports Park in Loudon, NH but that was a lifetime ago. It was before they rebuilt the track for NASCAR. I think road racing was the most fun I ever had on two wheels. Did you run production or modified class?

I fixed the double image for you.

BTW, if that clear line is PVC it will yellow, harden and become brittle in time. A big problem if the line breaks. You should look for proper fuel line.
Cheers

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the "Edit" on two pics WFO, I'm thinking it's an issue with my iphone to Linus FC23 OS is why I can't post pics from my LT? I will need to find out the issue and fix that.
I am going to change the fuel line to 1/4" line, like the main, but I'm going to check O'Reillys "help" section tomorrow, I'm sure they have a pac of those fuel line "squeeze clamps" that you posted previously before, I know the outputs are different sizes. I'll post again...after I fix my stupidity?
I checked the PICs on my LT, I think my racing pics are on a HDD on my DT, or DVD?
I would love to see any pics of your time with a knee on the Tarmac!?

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Not sure why the double picture. You can experiment on our test forum.
RV7charlie mentioned checking the nipple for mold flash and that's a great idea. Check to make sure it is smooth with no imperfections that might affect sealing.

I don't have any "knee to the tarmac" photos because back in the 70's, with street tires, there was no way my tires would allow those lean angles. Trust me, I tried and learned the hard way. LOL. I never owned a track bike but used my everyday KZ900 for road racing. I also ran a KZ650 for one season. I ran production class (stock bike) but for extra track time I would sometimes run in the modified class. I would drop the stock exhaust and throw on a Kerker 4 into one exhaust and go have fun. Photo below taken during open practice. I am 180 on KZ900.

·
Registered
05 mule 3010
10 Posts
Looks like more fun than I'm willing to have. Love getting upside down in an airplane, but there's no way I'll go to a 30 degree angle on two wheels. :)

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
I would love to go for a flight with an aerobatic stunt pilot. That must be an awesome rush.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
WFO, I got the right size fuel clips, but it still leaks😡
I’m thinking I might need to do what rv7 said...I need something to clamp “above”, these smooth fuel ports are a PITA!?
DD123BCF-4DF6-4C44-AA65-9759EC23E9FE.jpeg

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think I know why it keeps posting two pics?
I choose the pic off my iphone, but then it has two options, thumbnail full photo...I choose full. It must have already "posted", but then, does what you choose too? Sound right?

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Are the nipples smooth and still round in shape? Boy that sounded bad...

But seriously, the condition of the nipples may be the problem. But I would also try to source the clamp shown in the first clamp picture I posted. They are the best. If it can hold back the pressure of a fuel injected fuel line, then it can sure hold the pressure from a gravity feed system.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Yah, that did sound like your on the wrong "site" for that question?🤣
But no, that's the problem, there is NO nipple or ribs on either output, there smooth and straight, not tapered...that's the problem I'm having. And I saw those hose clamps at O'Reillys(the first you showed), but there to big, I need a 3/16" & 1/4" clamps, the smallest I saw was probably 1/2"? I will try and find that pic off the web I saw when looking for clamps, it was a close up of a replacement output for the Clarke tanks, so it shows in detail. I still can't believe I'm having this issue, it's so basic, I mean, installing the kick starter and new clutch in my KLR 650 was easier than this!?
I'll post when I find it, but like I said, I'm really leaning toward "modification" like rv7 was saying?

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I could not find the one I was thinking, but here is a Clarke TRX fuel connection...you can see the smooth walls on the output shafts. Now I'm thinking, I should just see if I can put a petcock on the tank?

·
Super Moderator
2,038 Posts
Technically I think it is still called a nipple even though it has no ribs. But no matter what it is called I think your idea to replace it with a petcock is a good one. It seems there are many petcock adapters made for the Clarke plastic tanks.

Glad to hear you got the double picture problem sorted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts