Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey,

i finally got mine in the mail today. got the cross country studded ones for my 06 1600 classic. one question. what are the dimensions supposed to be?? i wanted the largest ones they made and while looking at leatherlyke's site they dont have the dimensions for the 1600 classic but i DO notice the mean streak's say 25 quart, Dimensions: 9" wide x 12 1/2" deep x 20" long

i just measured mine and they are about
7 1/2" wide x 11-11/2 deep x 17 or 19" long depending if they measure from the top of the bags lips or the very inside at its widest point. Did they send me the wrong ones since i asked for the largest cross country bags??

thanks
BTK did a good job shipping these btw, they look awesome.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
AFAIK, they only make one size for the 1600.

I'll have to measure mine and see how they compare...
Are you measuring inside or outside? They probably give outside dimensions on the site.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I have a 1500, not a 1600. But I have the cross country bags. I took some rough measurements of the outside (I didn't open them), and they're about 19" wide at the widest place I could measure, about 8" deep, and about 11 1/2" high.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I have a 1500, not a 1600. But I have the cross country bags. I took some rough measurements of the outside (I didn't open them), and they're about 19" wide at the widest place I could measure, about 8" deep, and about 11 1/2" high.
+1... outside measurements, I get about 19 front to back putting the ruler at the center of the studs. Height is about 12, top of the lid to the bottom of the bag. Thickness is tough to measure.
I get their 8.5 only if I measure from the fender strut cover to the outside. Realistically, it's closer to 8.
The "rib" that goes around the lid, separating the top from the skirt... that's 7" rib to rib.

Put them up against the fender strut with the lid open. The two holes should line up with the fender strut cover bolts at the very back, and the 1st one behind the seat (not the one under the back edge of the seat, but the one right behind the shock).

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
yeah that sounds about right as far as the same measurements as mine goes. Thanks for the help guys/gals. These bags looks awesome and i'm sure i'll love them when i put them on. I just thought they might have been a little bit bigger. When i saw the ups box they came in i was kinda skeptical. But again, i chose these over the tsukayu's due to the quick release function and not having to drill them. BTW, can you use pledge to clean these? or is there something better for when they get dirty.

·
VROC #25645
831 Posts
I've been using Lexol products for years, on the advice of equestrian friends. The wipes for cleaner and protectant are very easy to use, and I've had great results with the product protecting stuff for me.
Lexol - Leather Care

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
You can use just about anything. I've used soap and water, Honda polish, foam bathroom cleaner... They're really durable. I think they're great. They look really good, and they're tough, too.

·
Premium Member
1,465 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Put them on and i think they look awesome. First time i tried though the rubber grommets were coming OUT of the bags because they were so tight. Loosening the bolts didnt help but a little vaseline did the trick just fine. Im sure over time they will be easy to pop on and off. I will post pics this weekend since its dark now and the bike is on my shed. Left over hardware sticks WAY more out than what i had with my ghost brackets but its not really an eye sore that much.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I have had Leatherlykes on several bikes. I really like them. They usually include a small package of glycerin for lubing the rubber grommets. I would be a little careful of what I cleaned them with. I think the company recommends Protectal, and I have had very good results from that.Any good vinyl protectant should be good. I have seen some guys whose Leatherlykes had "grayed" something awful. I don't know what they used, if anything. Don't use anything that would dry out the vinyl. Enjoy!

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
They look really good with your seat. Great choice!

Wait until you see how tough they are. I lost control of my bike on a tight curve one time, and the bike went down on its side. I went into some dirt on the side of the road. The bags and highway bars took the weight of the bike (and me!). Not a scratch or dent on the saddlebag. They're really strong.

·
Registered
222 Posts
I'm sure you got the right bags. All the cross country bags hold the same volume. The cross country bags, at 25 qts., I got for my 900 are considerably bigger than the cruiser bags, 16 quts. -- which are the largest LeatherLykes that fit the 800 -- that I had on my VN800.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.