Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 68 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does the other Vulcan have the same high speed problems as the 900?? She has been a great bike just want more speed.

·
MaNaMaNa DoDoDoDoDo
4,767 Posts
Re: Qusetion????

Yes. The other Classic and Custom are both the same engine. And, most cruisers weren't made for much over 120.

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

thank you, however i was wondering about the 1500 or v2k i believe i just need more motor like the 900 is a great first bike but im ready to BIG will the v2k do what i want or do i just need harly's 6 speed trans thanks again

·
Registered
23 Posts

I have the 800 classic and love it
I can get her to go a solid 140kms when needed.......if you are talking 120 miles.......why would you ever want or need to go that fast

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #6

i haven't said nothing about 120 but i do ride fast most of the ime i stay at 75-90 my 900 will do but she just dont like it and i also ride 2 up a lot i need more power just trying to decide what to get i really want the v2k just want to make sure that is the correct bike for me
thanks again

·
Registered
574 Posts

Well considering the V2k is the biggest V-Twin made, if it does not satisfy the need for power, not sure what will. Kawasaki has 09 and later models with 6 speed if you just want a smooth ride at speed.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts

I moved up from 900LT to 1600 Nomad three months ago.

The difference is enormous. Huge. Unbelievable. You get up to 50-55 mph in 4th gear and drop it into 5th gear, and your engine drops to near idle rpm. Seriously. I rode from northeast Louisiana to western Colorado and back (2613 miles) running speeds from 55 mph to 75+ mph for hours. Absolutely no problems. (Actually doing about 82 as indicated on the speedometer, but my GPS showed 75-77 mph).

Would I have done that on the 900LT? Yep, you bet. I believe that she would have made that trip and several others afterward.

Would the 900 been as comfortable as the 1600? No way. Much lower rpm's, much smoother ride, much more comfortable overall. I bought my 900 new and kept her for four years, and I certainly don't regret that purchase. Excellent bike to learn (and re-learn in my case) riding, especially longer distances than on a sportbike. But I certainly don't regret the move up, either.

EDIT: By the way, the 2613 mile trip netted 38.9 miles per gallon, and that included a few hours @ 75, more than just a few hours @ 70, and that included crossing the Continental Divide three times, so 150 ft above sea lever to 11,000 ft and back.

·
Winter sucks.
1,083 Posts

The V2K has a bit of vibration (with all the reciprocating mass inside it's no surprise) but it's not excessive and I enjoy it. At 80ish indicated mine's at right around 3k on my tach, not buzzy at all. 5th gear doesn't really wake up until about 80 either. It also has lots of big, torquey power and is a lot of fun to rumble around on.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I moved up from 900LT to 1600 Nomad three months ago.

The difference is enormous. Huge. Unbelievable. You get up to 50-55 mph in 4th gear and drop it into 5th gear, and your engine drops to near idle rpm. Seriously. I rode from northeast Louisiana to western Colorado and back (2613 miles) running speeds from 55 mph to 75+ mph for hours. Absolutely no problems. (Actually doing about 82 as indicated on the speedometer, but my GPS showed 75-77 mph).

Would I have done that on the 900LT? Yep, you bet. I believe that she would have made that trip and several others afterward.

Would the 900 been as comfortable as the 1600? No way. Much lower rpm's, much smoother ride, much more comfortable overall. I bought my 900 new and kept her for four years, and I certainly don't regret that purchase. Excellent bike to learn (and re-learn in my case) riding, especially longer distances than on a sportbike. But I certainly don't regret the move up, either.

EDIT: By the way, the 2613 mile trip netted 38.9 miles per gallon, and that included a few hours @ 75, more than just a few hours @ 70, and that included crossing the Continental Divide three times, so 150 ft above sea lever to 11,000 ft and back.
Got to agree with everything you said there mate, I went from the VN900 classic to the 1600 nomad 2 years ago, just did 1000km's in a day on the nad with the wife on the back, a joy to ride and on the long open roads was comfortably sitting on 140km's p/h, it's very smooth and loves being at that speed, i'm very much looking to a 6000km trek to Tasmania (Australia) in december, great bike for comfort on long hauls.
Cheers
Greeny

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts

Biiger displacement bikes simply run along in a more relaxed manner. Torque is nice and you get it from displacement. Unfortunately, the VN1500/1600's are a very old design and pretty slow. More relaxed than the 900 but not that much faster. The 1700 is a new design that also isn't much faster, it does have a 6 speed trans but has some weird gear spacing. The 2000 definitely has more power/torque but weighs a ridiculous amount and gets you on the tire mfgs christmas card lists, but with the european gearing installed just loafs along runnin' down the road.

·
Registered
38 Posts

I suppose if you want speed, and a touring capability with comfort you couldn't go past the GTR1400, i know I would love to have one.
Cheers
Greeny

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts

... just loafs along runnin' down the road.
Isn't that the definition of a cruiser?

My 900 reached 105 mph. Did it only once. That's too fast for me.
My 1600 has reached 95 mph (passing someone) and that is too fast for me most of the time. If I wanted speed, I would have skipped the cruiser. You have to decide what you really want and buy the bike designed to do that. For me, it's loafing along runnin' down the road at 70-75 mph for hours on end.

I'm a happy camper.

·
Nobody Home
1,768 Posts

Isn't that the definition of a cruiser?

For me, it's loafing along runnin' down the road at 70-75 mph for hours on end.
Probably not the definition most riders on this forum use as "Cruiser". Here it seems used more as an image thing. I used the euopean geared VN2000 as an example because it just loafs along, very relaxed, and still has hit and is responsive to the throttle. That response is something a VN1500/1600 Nomad/Classic etc or 1700 or 900 doesn't really have. Will they run along 70-75? Absolutely. But none of them is very responsive to opening the throttle at that speed.

·
'06 V2K, Baby!
2,325 Posts

You're talking "speed" and then "cruiser" in the same sentence.

"Speed" and "sport" go together or "power" and "cruiser". You're mixing intentions, I think, a bit with bike types.

Will the V2K out-speed the VN900, yup. I moved from one to the other and I can verify that there's more speed available to you.

What I gained in a big way was power & acceleration, though. 60-80 mph is way different on the 900 than on the 2000. The 2000 just keeps getting faster and faster as you twist farther & farther. The 900 - not so much.

I think it's a little busy at highway speeds, still, and will be looking to do the euro-gear change-out sometime - probably this winter.

·
but still a NooBie
1,104 Posts

Speaking as an old guy who started out with a 350 cc two-stroke Yamaha...NONE of the bikes today have the response from a twist on the throttle as the older ones. Different style, different times. The two-stroke simply had more torque which really stood out when you compared the weight of bikes back then to bikes now. I could get up on one wheel in first, second, and often third gear. Not gonna happen on a cruiser. But, still, for passing while cruising at 70 mph...just twist the throttle and you had better be moving left because you will be there in a heartbeat. But, I don't have the sixth gear so I cannot comment on the torque or power on them.

The 900 did well at interstate speeds, but nothing compared to the larger engines.

·
Ride long and prosper
1,487 Posts

OK I have the 900 and I am not trying to be smart or trite, but I have noticed that there is a common statement made by all cruiser owners (maaaaybbeee sixth gear fixes this - maybe). Everyone says they frequently catch themselves tryng to get into the imaginary 6th gear that most of us don't have. My 900 is a high rever at 80- MPH but as stated it seems that everyone not just 900's want another gear (or at least feel like they need it). This leads me to doubt that there is a perfect upper end feel.

·
Reborn Biker
89 Posts

It's just that the engine revs so high at those speeds, you naturally want to shift again. To 6th.

·
VN 900 Classtom
1,689 Posts

If you read other forums like HD there you'll find some members that had a vulcan and say they went over to hd just because the vulcans rev high. So far at least a few people of every bike group here have complained about this issue and having the need of a six gear. I know I have many times.

1 - 20 of 68 Posts