Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Right now I'm 14 and I ride motocross but I'm definately planning on getting a sportbike when I get my motorcycle license. First of all how old do you have to be to get it, I live in NY. Second what would a good bike that I could get for decent price(around 3 grand). It has to be fast, pull nice wheelies(don't worry, I can handle it. I'm awesome on my dirtbike), sound cool(I don't just want to look cool, I like the sound that my bike makes. Looking cool is just a plus 8) ) and it has to look awesome of course. I know everything about dirtbikes but not a thing about street bikes. Does anyone have any ideas?

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
Well, just checked the NYS DMV to answer some of your questions. New York State requires you to be 18 years old (17 with Drivers Ed) before you can get your Class M license. Otherwise your stuck with the class MJ license with a lot of restrictions until your 18. From what I understand though, you can get your permit at 16 years old.

I'd suggest you go to your local DMV office and get the Driver's Manuals for the car & motorcycle and read them for information. Specially now that New York has the graduated licensing law.

I'd also suggest in takeing a MSF class when your old enough. For most places in NY, it costs between $300-$320 dollars.

Goto Motorcyce Association of New York State webpage to find out if a class is offered near you.

As for a bike to get, the only suggestion any of us can make really is what ever feels comfortable to you. Since your into motocross, maybe your first street bike should be a dual sport. I started out on a '91 Honda XR250L Dual sport. You can drive it off-road, then when your old enough to get your permit, you can take it to the street, and you'll also be comfortable with it by then.

·
Registered
3,122 Posts
You have so much to learn and do before you get on a sportbike.

Rlvrin1 has replied with some excellent information, I also highly recommend the MSF class!!

I rode dirt bikes for 12 years before I got a street bike, there is a big difference between riding on the open road/dirt and riding on the street.
Don't rush, take your time, read, talk to experience street riders, don't get to "much" bike, its good to start slow and small, everyone has been there!!

I don't want to call you "SQUID!!!!"

1 - 3 of 3 Posts