Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

Question

1K views 13 replies 10 participants last post by  bikeaholic 
#1 ·
A friend of mine has a new bike with about 20 miles on it,he wants aftermarket pipes.The question is does a person have to wait till his break-in service to install pipes?His break-in is at 500 miles his dealer said he could do pipes & rejet now so tell me what you think.

Thanks...

#3 ·
I don't see any reason you could not put on the new pipes now. After all the pipes that are on it now are new. How is that for logic. Somehow it sounds too easy

#5 ·
Well worth the wait.
New pipes reduce back pressure and usually also remove the cat.
This usually leads to popping, backfiring and changes to the idling.
The run-in period allows bedding in the pistons and rings and using the first load to oil, usually mineral, to do its job.
Run-in or break-in time is when bugs are sorted out. Many new bikes have some sort of issue. Introducing other factors that could affect the smooth running of the engine while it is trying to settle in not only makes it hard to trace genuine issues, it might even make some issues non-warrantable.
I suggest your friend exercaise some patience and take the bike for long, low rpm rides. It only takes a few weeks in most cases anyway. A well run-in engine is well worth the wait.

Lee

#6 ·
Not trying to confuse with dissent to the trend in advice here, but if new pipes were BAD for the engine before 500-1000 miles, they will be BAD afterward. I agree that maybe it is in the interest of the owner to be patient and wait and see if infantile mortality problems arise (wow...did I say that?)...that way, there shouldn't be a warranty issue.

#7 ·
Your going to get 100 different opinions on this . There's to many dealers else where doing the pipe an intake mod's before people take delivery of there bike. HD for one. So if it's so bad on the engine then why do they do it? Either its bad for it or not. Hey mangler you noticed I didn't give my opinion. :grin: :grin:

#9 ·
Mangler said:
Yeah so what do you think partner??? I value everyones opion around here this is a great family we have here.
I'll tell you mangler I'm trying to stay away from these type of threads you know the kind ( oil,helmet,intake type) But now that you got me in here Da*mn'it :grin: I give you mine as well . I think the way you break it in has more to do with seating the rings than the back pressure or lack of it. I swapped out my intake an pipes around 800 mi. SO are you happy now Mangler? :grin: :p

#11 ·
I will give you two reasons not to.

1. If you can follow the break in procedure with good sounding pipes, your a better man than me. I would want to rev it up and wind it out in the lower gears to hear what it sounds like. Not what you should be doing during the break in procedure. Don't add to the temptation.

2. As an old racer will tell you, you need to get a benchmark on how your bike performs in stock condition. Only then, can you tell what performance you get out of modding it.

#12 ·
My son Slicks didn't pick his up until the pipes, hyper-charger, and carb adjustments were all done, and he is tickled to death that he did it that way. There has been lots of arguments about break-in, but there is two constants, 1. Don't tach it out all the way for 500 mi. 2. Don't maintain a steady rpm for a hundred or so. Plus, there seems to be an overwhelming argument to NOT be easy on the first 20 miles. Personally, I would like to pick it up the way I want it, not have to give it back to them for the mods that I wanted to begin with.

#13 ·
all i am going to add is what my dealer said and what i did, i am no mechanic. my dealer said that the pipes could go on immediately if i wanted but the intake and PCM should wait until after break-in. i put the pipes on after about 300 miles and the intake and PCM around 1200.

#14 ·
re

baloney :razz:

my experience is you can put any pipe you want on any brand new motor
i've done it with cars and bikes many times-i just break the motor in by my
method and have never had any problems that could be traced to exhaust
h/d has done it for years (i know,thats why they tear up) go ahead say it!
but for real you can buy modded bikes right off the floor from most any dealer
or brand
that's my story and i'm stickin' to it :grin:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.