Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought my first bike 4 weeks back. In a convoluted process, I ended up basically trading my old '75 Super Beetle for the bike. I couldn't be happier. I took the MSF course back in June and have been itching to ride ever since. I've now put about 300 miles on the bike, it's my daily commuter, and I love it. I have a few questions about the bike though and I'm hoping someone can answer them.

The person who owned this bike before the person I bought the bike from owned it apparently had an issue with the radiator fan. My guess is that the part that makes the radiator fan turn on and off automatically went bad, and, rather than replace the part he decided to wire an on/off switch to the fan. It works, but the fan will not turn off if I leave the switch on. I can turn the bike off, but the fan will keep running until the battery is dead if I dont turn it off. I can live with this, but I'm not sure how long I should leave it running after I turn off the bike. 15 minutes? 30 minutes?

Are there any quirks or behaviors specific to this model that I need to know about?

Also, can anyone recommend a good place to purchase a set of hard saddle bags and a set of crash bars? I can't seem to find anyplace that specifically lists my bike.

I love the bike and I love riding it. The feel of the ride makes things like; a coke bottle carelessly tossed out a car window and bouncing off my windscreen, narrowly avoiding suicidal deer, and dealing with cell phone talking cagers bearable. :p

Here's a pic of my ride.

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a '96 with soft Cortech saddlebags over the rear of the seat and a Protac backrest.

I'd suggest ditching the switch for the fan and going back to the thermoswitch that the bike was intended to use. I forget where it is exactly, but it's going to be in the radiator somewhere near the bottom.

I haven't found any quirks yet other than the reserve seems to be half the tank....I just replaced the chain and sprockets. The bike starts every time. I did put a fly shield on it and got some risers from Scootworks that made a big difference in comfort.

You're not going to find a whole lot of aftermarket parts for it I'm afraid...

·
www.learntoride.org
1,364 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Good for you, posting a pic with your first post.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/EN500/links

My fan doesn't stay on very long after a ride, maybe a minute or less. I haven't counted the seconds. I'd want to replace the defective part, rather than have to remember to switch off the fan manually.
I don't know as much about these bikes as some of the other members, seeing as I'm fairly new to them too. I've only had mine a couple of months and only put 645 miles on mine. Stick around. We need more Vulc500 owners.

·
Wannabeabigbike Owner
745 Posts
yup

We need more Vulc500 owners.
There are no less than three dedicated forums/sites for them just in this country, and a huge one in Germany. As near as I can guestimate, there are probably in excess of 100k of them still being run. Kawi has sold them for 16 years now, and except for the tank (bigger), and the wheels (crappier) not much has changed. They have alwasy been the low-end bike, but according to the Kawi page, the MOST sold other than the 500 Ninja ever!

check out the Yahoo EN500 group Obsidian listed, Die Kawasaki LTD450 und EN500 Seite, Paul Andreasen's Motorcycle Mods Page, and several others you can google for.
There are a BUNCH of owners on here, tho a lot have several other bikes too.

Welcome to both worlds! That of the forum and the 500!

:D :D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
5 Posts
Dear Friends,

My 1995 EN500 was flooded at the last storm and the already broken starter switch flow away. I will try to make my own key, because the key lock is not awailable in Turkey. I know that there is resistor in the key lock, it would be a great help if a EN500 owner could do me a favour by measuring the resitance in Ohms. I will then buy the resistor and build my own key.
Thanks, regards

1 - 8 of 8 Posts