Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I been considering the idea of getting a sport bike for sometime now. With a big raise coming up in about 5 months I think I'll be able to add a third vehicle to my garage. I have been looking around this site for a while now and after everything I've read it seems I should get a ninja 500r. The performance specs seem more than adequate, and people I know say they are very reliable.

What should I pay for a used lets say 2001 500R with normal mileage? I know that they are like $4700 new. Also what will I expect to spend on some good equipment(helmet, jacket, etc)?

Thanks in advance,
Alan

·
Registered
20,973 Posts
GREAT SERVICE

IF you want great service at a local shop then I would spend some of you money at one of the local shops that you will be using for things that you don't wish to do on you rbike yorself. Buying a jacket, gloves chains, sprockets, the little things add up to having the dealer there when you need him sometime in the future. They have to pay employees, overheads lights all that sort of stuff...so don't be so cheap as to leave them out of the picture. Besides you may find a mechanic that is not only AMA Certified but a race mechanic for one of hte local teams in your area. should you need custom work or anything done special on yor bike his expertise will not cost a dime more since he is already in the bike and just has to change a few parts and you ride away with a completely different feel of bike under you. The salesmen can end up getting you discounts of a returned jacket or gloves because ther is either a glitch in something or it was the wrong size and they can't return it...c'mon give the shops a break or we won't have them around. I AM NOT A DEALER OR WORK FOR ONE! BUT I DO KNOW THAT THEY CAN HELP YOU IF YOU ARE OUT TO HELP THEM...sometimes they will just take your money and send you on your way. be nice and offer them things like making gormet coffee and what ever products that you work with, and they may in return reward you with the same type of kindness. IF not then at least you have been considerate, and that alone is worth something in this world today as well.

·
Registered
65 Posts
If you plan on moving up to a bigger bike later you should buy used. If you take care of the bike you can ride it for a year and sell it close to what you paid for it, basically "renting" the bike for the cost of insurance and some small depreciation. If you want to keep your Ninja 500 forever and want to make sure it is taken care of properly then buy new. I plan on riding my 500R for a few years and then getting something bigger, at which time I will probably turn my 500R into a racing bike. The 500R is a great bike for the money, though some will say get a Ninja 250R instead because the extra 12 hp isn't worth $2k brand new. To me it was more about power, suspension strength, and physical size so that extra $2K was worth it. Plus I think it looks cooler than the itty-bitty two-fiddy.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
gorillahandz said:
If you plan on moving up to a bigger bike later you should buy used. If you take care of the bike you can ride it for a year and sell it close to what you paid for it, basically "renting" the bike for the cost of insurance and some small depreciation. If you want to keep your Ninja 500 forever and want to make sure it is taken care of properly then buy new. I plan on riding my 500R for a few years and then getting something bigger, at which time I will probably turn my 500R into a racing bike. The 500R is a great bike for the money, though some will say get a Ninja 250R instead because the extra 12 hp isn't worth $2k brand new. To me it was more about power, suspension strength, and physical size so that extra $2K was worth it. Plus I think it looks cooler than the itty-bitty two-fiddy.
plus I believe its more like 25hp, and after upgrades to a 500R more like 40. :twisted:

And do full exhaust on the 500R suddenly you dropped 20lbs, (factory mufflers weight a TON) Not bad if you get 60HP at the rear wheel at 370 dry.

Edit: What I've found

Ninja 250
0-60 5.5 sec
1/4 Mile 15.5 sec
Top Speed 115Mph
[email protected] 28
Torque [email protected]
Fuel Eff. 55-75mpg
Dry Weight 304lbs

Ninja 500
0-60 3.76 sec
1/4 Mile 12.73 sec
Top Speed 140Mph
[email protected] 52
Torque [email protected]
Fuel Eff. 48mpg
Dry Weight 388lbs
found it here http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/viewtopic.php?p=2333

·
Registered
65 Posts
You are right Freakin'. I mistyped it. It was supposed to be 22 horses. I have heard the EX250 rated at 28hp (like in your post) and heard the EX500 cranks out 50hp stock. And almost 70hp to a 500R? Wow. That is about the same as an SV650 (though I'm sure the torque curve is significantly different for the Vtwin vs. a Parallel twin).

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Torque goes up, but not quite as much with the 500R, upgrades help low end, but really really help on the top end. I mean at 130 full throttle I start pulling away from a katana 600. scared to death to go much faster than that on my current tires. Have a set of Z+ rated tires waiting to be install right now though.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts