Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just removed the afterburner and all Cali emmisions from my bike, and I have one question. Eo I cap the line from the canister to the carb. There's a line there and it's the carb vent. It runs to the charcoal canister and I just need to know if I route that somewhere else, or do I just remove and cap. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Ok, I see no help has arrived, but I have another one. I have figured out through trial and error to not cap off the carb vent, but where do I route a hose to??? Also, where do I run the tank vent line to (right side)? It ran to my charcoal canister also and now has no home. Please help as I know someone out there can help me. Just need some direction for the carb vent and the tank vent. if you don't know and know someone who does, ask them and just give me a hand.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,842 Posts
They are vents so it doesn't matter that much where they run as long as they aren't obstructed. Older bikes had the tank vent built in to the cap so it could get air to prevent a vacuum from forming in the tank. Just route the line where it's out of sight and not going to be blocked by anything.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks. That helps a lot. I just wasn't sure if I should keep the hoses or not as they really led to nowhere. I'm going to eliminate the hoses and just let them vent right where they are at.

·
Registered
1,221 Posts
I'm going to eliminate the hoses and just let them vent right where they are at.
I would recommend against that. The carbs vent what? Gas. And the gas will fall where? On the engine. At best it'll stain, at worst, flames are possible. Usually there are a couple vent hoses somewhere on the bike that go to the underside of the bike. I'd suggest you route your new vent hoses to wherever those hoses end up. On racebikes, most people route all vent hoses to a small catch bottle to make sure nothing gets on the tire. Which is another option.

·
Registered
654 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I would recommend against that. The carbs vent what? Gas. And the gas will fall where? On the engine. At best it'll stain, at worst, flames are possible. Usually there are a couple vent hoses somewhere on the bike that go to the underside of the bike. I'd suggest you route your new vent hoses to wherever those hoses end up. On racebikes, most people route all vent hoses to a small catch bottle to make sure nothing gets on the tire. Which is another option.
I'll try that. Thanks. I'm glad that this place is here. Everyone has been a huge help and I've found a lot of info here. I hope that I can help with what I'm trying to accomplish for the 800.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I would route the vents down and exit in front of the rear tire under the battery box.
I'm not familiar with the 800's system so I can't help beyond that.

Curious on your removal of the charcoal cannister though....

Why?

There is no impact on performance with it there or not. I removed mine because I needed space under the side cover for my garage door opener, Speedo Healer, and EFI computer. There is no sense in removing it just for the sake of removing it because it's "smog crap from California". The California tanks are different from the 49-state tanks and that is what presents problems when attempting to bypass it, especially on carb'd bikes where you have the bowl vent to deal with.

If you ride in dusty areas, the cannister not only serves to keep vapor out of the atmosphere, but also serves as a filter for the bowl vent. I regularly clean dirt and gunk out of the bowl on my dirtbike, and the only way it can get in there is from the bowl vents.

Also, when you run the vent lines out the bottom, put a split in the end line so it looks kinda like a banana peel. Make this split about 2" long... this will help prevent water from being sucked into the bowl (unless you submerge the frame).

But really, I would reconsider putting it back on if you don't need the space for something else.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you ride in dusty areas, the cannister not only serves to keep vapor out of the atmosphere, but also serves as a filter for the bowl vent. I regularly clean dirt and gunk out of the bowl on my dirtbike, and the only way it can get in there is from the bowl vents.
didn`t know that, i want to remove all that stuff because i want to turn the bike into a bobber but it seems it has more benefits than just being good for mother earth

1 - 9 of 9 Posts