Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was reading a post in the mechanics corner about gas guages. Well I was wondering this about my 91 zx11 has no gauge but 2 gas lights, they both blink at the same time when I get low on fuel. There is no reserve switch so I assume that the 2 lights blink a certain way when the regular tank is low and then when the reserve part is low but once they starts to blink, I go fill it up because I am too scare to find out what it does when it gets low on reserve. Partly because I am not willing to run out of gas inbetween two gas stations on a high traffic road with no sidewalk, just dirt and sand which would be a ***** to push a 500 lb bike on, right in the middle, 5 miles in each direction to the closest station, how bad would that suck? So what is the deal with the lights. Do they both blink to let you know that the regualr tank is low, and then become solid when low on reserve or what? Call be a wimp or whatever but I really dont want to find out through trial and error.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Take a small can of gas with you to re-fill and get to a gas station, then run it out and see for yourself what the lights do. You could also have a friend carry the gas for you, or someone following you in the car.

"experts" say you should do this as a test just so that you know how far you can push your reserve before going dry. it would help when you get into that certain situation and need to determine if you can make the next gas stop or not.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Good point, I didnt think about having someone just follow me so I could find out but then again I really wasnt even thinking about trying to make it run completely out of gas. Thanks for the advice, I might just do that when I get the engine rebuilt just so I know what the lights do and how far I can go when they start blinking. Thanks a bunch

·
AZ's Official Mechanic
5,201 Posts
25miles on reserve is typical. the lights are just showing you that you are low. the reg tank and reserve are not seperate (its all one tank with a long tube for ON and short tube for reserve in the petcok). you run out on reserve and you run out PERIOD.

·
Registered
798 Posts
Take a small can of gas with you to re-fill and get to a gas station, then run it out and see for yourself what the lights do. You could also have a friend carry the gas for you, or someone following you in the car.

"experts" say you should do this as a test just so that you know how far you can push your reserve before going dry. it would help when you get into that certain situation and need to determine if you can make the next gas stop or not.
^+1

I am not an expert, but Dave is 100% correct about running it out of gas to find out exactly how far you can go before you are pushing. I do this with every new bike I get and that way I am sure just how far I can realistically make it before I run out of gas.

Tim

·
Registered
598 Posts
I usually find this out the hard way. I'm not as bright as most of you. :0)
My 91 zx11 goes about 34 mi. after the light.

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
well thats pretty far once the lights come on, I personally get worried once the light comes out thinking that in about 100 feet, Im pushing the rest of the way. lol right now my bike doesnt even run so I would say that it would go anywhere with or without the lights on hehe

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
34 miles would sound realistic. I don't know about your bike for sure, but often times, the reserve part of the tank will hold anywhere between .5 and 1 gallon of gas. I'm sure you can find that on the net somewhere in the bike specs. If you know what your gas mileage is that you get on the bike, then you can calculate an estimated range on reserve. Then subtract about 10 miles just to be safe! :)

·
Registered
1,199 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh yeah, she'll be running again very soon. Already got 600 dollars worth of parts I am about to purchase to rebuild the motor and now just gotta find someone who can do it the cheapest but do a good job as well. I was debating on whether I should take it to the machine shop who will put all the parts in and do the machine work needed and put it back together and check valve clearance for 300 dollars or take it to my buddy who will do it for 200 plus whatever his machine shop charges. I am thinking that its the better deal to just go straight to the machine shop so I get that all in one deal. But yeah, I did some research and found that the tank holds a total of 21Ls but I havent been able to find a break down of it as far as how much for the reserve. I would assume its one gallon being how others that have posted with zx 11 that they get about 34 miles on reserve which would be one gallon at the mpg it gets. So I would assume that to be on the safe side, I should only ride no more than 20 miles once those lights blink. Thanks for the input everyone.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts