Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone, I havent posted in a while, college keeps me busy but hey its saturday and raining so i figured ill post and update on my KZ build.

Some of you may remember me from a while back, I started restoring my 1979 KZ750 about a year ago. Well I finished last night and rode her for the first time. Its a whole new bike and I'll explain why. I completely rebuilt the engine. I bored it .50 over and got big bear pistons to replace the old smaller ones. New valves and springs, i bought a 1982 head with the weird exhaust ports on top. I tapped the ports and screwed plugs in. Also during the rebuild, I replace every gasket, nut and bolt with new and uniform products. I also replace the head bolts and nuts, as they where stretched.

Fellow twin owners; you may have noticed a very small oil leak near the top of the engine, and you cant seem to fix it even with new gaskets and sealers. I found the solution is a combination of gaskets, sealers, and going 10lbs over Kawasaki's recommended torque value. The engine and bolts can take the extra pressure, so dont worry about overstressing.

I put electronic ignition from an 86 kz650 ( i think thats the right year) and upgraded my drive chain to an o-ring chain. New teflon brakes, new dunlop tires, progressive front suspension and about to do the same for the rear. Sylvania Silver star headlight and new side mirrors added. Overall, my KZ750 can now easily keep up with my VTX 1300 and run with my 1800 Goldwing. Any questions, just ask.

·
Navy Vet Search & Rescue
8,843 Posts
Nice Ethan, it sounds like you made some nice upgrades and done a lot of work on the bike. If you're anything like me, you'll eventually get tired of looking at and working around the hose barb on those plates on the valve cover. I took some flat aluminum stock and made replacement plates for the originals. It only took about an hour of cutting, drilling, and sanding. Of course I opted to polish them when I was done for a more finished look and that took a bit more time. If you'd rather spend the money, APE makes some finned replacements but they aren't cheap.

First I just traced the outline of the reed valve plate and cut that one out.

Then I traced the outline of the outer plate and drilled the mount holes. Then cut it out and polished on it a little. I'll go back at some point and finish the polish job but that's a job for another day.

I don't have a good shot of the finished product installed but you can see most of one in this shot.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
nice job stargate but i have a twin and not a 4cylinder. So my extra ports are 2 small holes that i plugged with 1/8 inch nuts.
And then just used the 76-80 valve/cam cover on the 82 head I assume. That's what I did anyway.

I think 82 was the last year for the KZ650, but more importantly the KZ650 spins in the opposite direction from a 750 twin. So how did you use a KZ650 electronic ignition? If the advancer actually worked spinning in reverse (I don't know if it would or not), then it would retard the timing as rpms rose.

KZ440 or 82-83 KZ750 twin electronic ignitions work, the four cylinders spin backwards.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
steell: i couldnt remember the year of the ignition i bought, it was a while back and i just put it on. I bought it off of ebay and the description said kz440, 650, 750 electronic ignition and claimed it worked on kz750 twins, so its probably a 440 because i literally just hooked it up and it worked. and yes i just used the original valve cover on mine.

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
And then just used the 76-80 valve/cam cover on the 82 head I assume. That's what I did anyway.

I think 82 was the last year for the KZ650, but more importantly the KZ650 spins in the opposite direction from a 750 twin. So how did you use a KZ650 electronic ignition? If the advancer actually worked spinning in reverse (I don't know if it would or not), then it would retard the timing as rpms rose.

KZ440 or 82-83 KZ750 twin electronic ignitions work, the four cylinders spin backwards.
You sure about this? If so why is the tensioner on the pull side of the cam chain?

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
You sure about this? If so why is the tensioner on the pull side of the cam chain?
Where is the tensioner on a four cylinder?? :mrgreen:

On the 400/440/750 twins the tensioner is on the front, on the fours the tensioner is on the rear. Looking at the points end of the crank, the fours spin in the same direction the wheels do, while the twins spin in the opposite direction. So the tensioner is "not" on the pull side.

That's my 79 KZ750 twin. Well, the frame is a 79 anyway :-D

·
itching to ride
2,238 Posts
Where is the tensioner on a four cylinder?? :mrgreen:

On the 400/440/750 twins the tensioner is on the front, on the fours the tensioner is on the rear. Looking at the points end of the crank, the fours spin in the same direction the wheels do, while the twins spin in the opposite direction. So the tensioner is "not" on the pull side.
Thanks for making my point that the 750-4 does not spin backwards as you stated previously. :D

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.