Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys (and girls), I have a '00 500R with a Vance & Hines 2 in 1 exhaust system. I've had the exhaust for a few months but it's starting to really get on my nerves as it's too loud. It sounds bad @ss wot, but it's not practicle.

So my plan is to chop off my vance & hines muffler and buy a slip on and custom mount it. Do you people think it'll be quieter cause the vance & hines canister is kind of small. Need some opinions... :D

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
If you get a yoshi it'll be quieter, as will most other brands 'cept jardine and D&D.

I took off my jardine muffler and put the V&H SSR2 on there and it sounds great, a little quieter now too, still very loud though. changing the can will help on noise.

·
Road Snot Needs A Kleenex
364 Posts
:lol: Here I am looking to ditch the stock exhaust for something louder like the V&H Supper Sport Exhaust. :lol:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hmm you know i came across a Quietec II baffle that V&H offers for the SuperSport exhaust system. Supposively the one i have now has a Quietec I design and they advertise it to be 6db queiter than the "standard super sport baffle" which i can't imagine how loud that is if this is 6db quieter!!!

Maybe i'll give this Quietec II baffle a try its $52.99 USD out of the Dennis Kirk cataloge before i spend another $300.00 for just another muffler (eek) that may or may not work. :?

UPDATE:
Well, i spoke to the V&H tech people and they said the Quietec II baffle is 6 db quieter than the Quietec I design without any performance drop. I'm gonna order this and let you guys know what i find. 6db is a good amount so it should be worth the 50 bucks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yup it's quieter. Highway drivability went up about a gazillion factors (no more headaches) and around town driving won't wake up the neighbor hood (as bad :lol: ).

For anyone with the V&H SuperSport exhaust system for the EX500 and think it's too loud, get the Quietec II Baffel. IT WORKS!

oh yeah, no performance loss either. Good stuff!

·
Registered
65 Posts
How do Muzzys fair versus all the previously mentioned brands? Better for Kawas? (I hear Rob Muzzy loves Kawas and makes the exhausts with Kawas in mind) How loud are they?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
gorillahandz said:
How do Muzzys fair versus all the previously mentioned brands? Better for Kawas? (I hear Rob Muzzy loves Kawas and makes the exhausts with Kawas in mind) How loud are they?
Muzzy is supposed to be loud, but a very good system, supposed to sound great, never heard a bike with one on it though.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The Muzzy system was one of the exhausts i was considering. However what led me to the V&H was the big price difference and the fact that i didn't have to eliminate my center stand (comes in handy for maintenance work). Besides V&H is known for being one of the best, but the Muzzy system is completely constructed of stainless steel (looks really good!).

I believe that Jardine, V&H and Muzzy use the same style canister and offer very close performance and sound.

To sum it up..
Muzzy's system is probably the highest quality (all stainless) but also costs the most between the 3 and eliminates the center stand. (right hand exit)

V&H is in the middle offering a cheaper price but lacking all stainless construction (pipe is polished aluminum with a SS cap.) also without eliminating the center stand. (right hand exit)

Jardine looks almost identical to the V&H system however it's left hand exit and the cheapest.

I figured i couldn't go wrong if i went with the one in the middle! :D

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
externally the jardine looks like the V&H, but internally they are different. The V&H sounds waaay waaay better than the jardine. You nearly get the straight pipes sound from the jardine. I disliked it myself. plus the headers are less than great. Already showing signs of discoloration after 5 months. others have had the same issue. I'd say stick with muzzy or V&H.

·
Registered
65 Posts
What do you mean by discoloration? I have heard that the headers are supposed to turn into a nice golden-type brown. It is a result of a good fuel/air mixture. If the pipes turn blue you are running too rich (or is it too lean?). Is that what you mean?

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
gorillahandz said:
What do you mean by discoloration? I have heard that the headers are supposed to turn into a nice golden-type brown. It is a result of a good fuel/air mixture. If the pipes turn blue you are running too rich (or is it too lean?). Is that what you mean?
they can discolor for a number of reasons, but a quality header on a bike should stay black, or at least very dark. air/fuel mixture can cause the pipe to become discolored prematurely too. but from what I hear the jardine pipe discolors quickly and is nearly impossible to ever get back to original.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Are all sportbike headers black? I was referring to chrome headers and how they change color. I guess I was thinking more of cruisers than sportbikes.

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
gorillahandz said:
Are all sportbike headers black? I was referring to chrome headers and how they change color. I guess I was thinking more of cruisers than sportbikes.
ah, I know nothing of chrome ones, but I would think they should always be polishable. dunno though.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts