Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anybody installed these on an ER-6n yet? If you have, could you post photos please?

Mine showed up today. I've figured out where to mount the bases on each side, but it looks like you have to cut up your bodywork to make them fit. And on both sides, it involves cutting away the lower mounting tabs where the fairings (if you can call them that) mount to the frame. This just seems really freakin' stupid to me, and is likely to result in the fairings not being well secured.

So I'm wondering if I'm missing something, or if this is how it is.

Thanks.

Rob

·
We need a Sarcasm Font!
3,864 Posts
I put these frame sliders on my 650R without having to cut the bodywork. They bolted to the frame just beside the fairing.

This is a close-up.

The balloon says that they attached to the top, smaller bolt.

·
Registered
20,606 Posts
surely they came with instructions?
check the R&G website for advice.

if they require drilling, they usually tell you and come with some sort of a drilling template.

seeing as it's a naked bike, i can't believe you'd need to do any drilling of plastics

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Hi,
Never had to cut Bodywork on a ERN to fit R&G sliders YET

Fitting Instructions from R&G below.

Also some pics for assistance.

And at the bottom of my post a link to R&G site.

RIGHT HAND SIDE AS YOU SIT ON THE BIKE

• Remove lower front bolt that holds engine mount bracket to frame.
• Take the R&G block with the 9mm mounting hole bottom right hand corner and fit to frame so that the
mounting hole sits where you removed the bolt from.
• Fit the M8x30mm long cap head bolt through block and into frame. Do not tighten completely yet.
• Take one of the clamps and two of the M6x30mm long cap head bolts and fit to block and tighten. Then
tighten the front bolt.
• Take one of the M10x80mm long hex head bolts and slide one of the M10 washers up to the head of bolt,
followed by one of the shakeproof washers.
• Take one of the bobbins and pass the bolt through.
• Take one of the spacers and pass the bolt through.
• Screw the assembly into the block and tighten bolt until you feel some compression from inside the
protector. Turn a little more so that you feel the compression increase slightly. Then apply a quarter turn.
Do not exceed 40nm of torque.

LEFT HAND SIDE AS YOU SIT ON THE BIKE

• Remove lower front bolt that holds engine mount bracket to frame.
• Take the R&G block with the 9mm mounting hole at mid / bottom and fit to frame so that the mounting hole
sits where you removed the bolt from.
• Fit the M8x50mm long cap head bolt through block and into frame. Do not tighten completely yet.
• Take one of the clamps and two of the M6x30mm long cap head bolts and fit to block and tighten. Then
tighten the front bolt.
• Take one of the M10x80mm long hex head bolts and slide one of the M10 washers up to the head of bolt,
followed by one of the shakeproof washers.
• Take one of the bobbins and pass the bolt through.
• Take one of the spacers and pass the bolt through.
• Screw the assembly into the block and tighten bolt until you feel some compression from inside the
protector. Turn a little more so that you feel the compression increase slightly. Then apply a quarter turn.
Do not exceed 40nm of torque.

-----

-----

-----

-----

-----

ER6N 09 R&G LINK

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Okay it appears they sent me the wrong kit then, because the "base" brackets (that hold the plastic pucks) look nothing like what you have on your bike.

Upon closer inspection of the packaging, sure enough, these morons sent me the kit for the ER-6F, whereas the invoice says ER-6n. Good freakin' Lord. So now it's gonna be another 10-14 days at least before I get sliders.

I just emailed them to see if they'll do the right thing and get these replaced ASAP. I doubt it will happen. I do not ever want to deal with ninja650shop.com again.

Rob

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
On the Bright side no Fairings were harmed in this episode of can someone recommend a compitent Bike parts supplier...Pleeeeeease!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
No response to the email, so I called in a few hours ago. The guy was surprised about the problem, but said he'd look into it and call me back. No response after a few more hours, so I called again. He found the right set, but says he isn't sure if they're complete. The girl who handles this is apparently out sick (typical), but says they'll try to figure it out tomorrow. It does sound like they might be willing to overnight me the right set. We'll see.

Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Time to give credit where credit is due. Ninja650shop overnighted me a set, and according to the tracking info, the package was delivered a little while ago. I'll know more tonight when I get home and make sure they're the right set.

But I wanted to post about it and let everybody know that so far, they've done a pretty good job of trying to make it right.

Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So the "right" kit did arrive. Unfortunately, it still isn't right.

I'm guessing the US version of the ER-6n is slightly different. The right-side mount fits perfectly, and is already installed. But when I went around to install the left-side mount, I discovered that there is a metal tab welded to the frame, that holds a black plastic cover that goes over some sort of metal box.

It's this tab that prevents the mount from fitting at all. And if it DID fit, I'm not sure I would be able to get the U-clamp on from behind, because of that box.

I've emailed RG directly about it in case they're aware of it. If not, I can send them photos and measurements. In any case, it looks like I'm suck with one slider. Sigh.

It's times like this when I wish I had just gotten a 650R.

Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Let's see if this works...

Okay, see the front turn signal? Look directly behind it. See the rectangular box? That's it. You can't see the metal tab on the frame in this shot, but it's the best I have right this minute.

Rob

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Yer that's the Evap Emissions Canister cover, Not supprised R&G got that wrong CA is the only model it's fitted to to the best of my knowledge.

I've had a few issues with R&G protection in the UK and there about 50/50 with feedback/help.

Good luck

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I was thinking that's what it must be. I took off the cover last night and got a photo of it, but haven't gotten it out of the camera yet.

I wonder if I can just remove that whole thing and have the thing run right? Being EFI and all, it could throw a code or set a light. Hmmm. It would be easier to just grind that clip off the frame than to have to grind a chunk out of the bracket.

Rob

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
If you look at the evap system (Canister is part 16164) there is nothing that i can see that would effect the DFI system prompting a FI code or Light if removed.

But having said that i have very little to do with CA Evap systems in the UK apart from the odd import and there not a 2010 Bike.

This one is down to you :)

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Cool! Thanks for that diagram. So if I read it right, it looks like that contraption is the California version of the breather line off the gas tank. Rather than letting it vent to atmosphere, they're processing it through that stupid thing and ultimately it ends up back in the intake.

Am I right?

Rob

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Followup... if so, I'd love to see a diagram of the 49-state version and just copy what they do...

Rob

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Yep your right.

Below is the system minus the Evap Gubbins :smile:

Pipe 702 just hangs down next to the front sprocket cover as does 702A (They both vent to atmostphere)

The scematic of the Airbox shows a different plate for securing the Airbox to the throttle body and i suspect the only differance would be the CA one has an extra take off for the Evap pipe to connect to recycle the gases. (14079 & 14079A )

I don't see why you couldn't just plug the take off on your existing plate :wink:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts