Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi ,

Just got a 2000/1 ZXR6 for racing only - I am 84kgs - can anyone give any advise as to the best racing set up - suspension etc.

Thanks for all and any help.

Cheers

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
RACE SETTINGS

I know that one of the latest (March/April) magazines has just that information on how to properly set up your bike...check the mags, but look for Sport Rider...I think.... In the article they were very big on making a very detailed sheet and only adjusting one thing at a time till you went to far then back to where it was the best...then going on to the next setting and keeping the records...Good luck...hopefully, you will be able to find some of the racers there and they will help you...but know who they are first and record everything before you ever make any adjustments...as to where they are in the beginning...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Suspension Setup Guide

Sorry, I was wrong...it is in the February 2004 SPORT RIDERStarting on page 53...Five steps to a great Suspension Setup... Should you not be able to get the Magazine, contact me and I'll kinda sorta guide you through what they say... www.sportrider.com is their address at the mag...

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Re: Suspension Setup Guide

Thanks for your reply - will try and get the mag over here - appreciate your time & input.

Cheers

Rob

ZX-2R said:
Sorry, I was wrong...it is in the February 2004 SPORT RIDERStarting on page 53...Five steps to a great Suspension Setup... Should you not be able to get the Magazine, contact me and I'll kinda sorta guide you through what they say... www.sportrider.com is their address at the mag...

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
INTERN-ational//Inter-National Fourm Support

Anything we can share benefits our hobby...hope to see some results posted from you on the FORUM as well as giving US advice.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Rob,
Just because a bike mag has an article on set-up doesn't exactly mean that the same set-up will work for you. My friend and I weigh nearly the same but our styles dictate different suspension settings. I cannot come near the time I can set on my bike when I ride with his settings (almost a second and a half slower), but with when I ride with my settings we are setting nearly equal times.
Just as ZX2R says, it's a great idea to keep a note book of any suspension changes you make, also next to the changes write a brief desciption of how the bike felt with those changes you made. Also note the weather conditions and track/ground conditions as all these have factors in the way your bike will feel and behave when riding around the track.
When you first start out making suspension adjustments, make one adjustment at time and keep them small, dont adjust the compression 7 clicks and rebound 4 clicks all at the same time, it can be easy to get confused and lose your way. This can waste time when you're 'racing', as every minute during practise counts.
I find that a suspension setup from the morning will not necessarily be as good as it could be in the afternoon due to the track temp rising and the track conditions (ie: amount of rubber, oil ,dirt, etc on the track)
The note book will help in finding a good set up in a timely manner. The more information you write in your note book the better.
After a while you will get the idea of how your suspension will work in all types of track and weather conditions, this is when you should be able to use your knowledge and make more than one adjustment at a time. This will aid you in finding a good set-up quicker during practise and/or qualifying.
If you find it difficult to find a good set-up that you like for the entire track, then go for a compromise set-up.
Remember to have fun, learning the way the suspension on your bike works will take time but its all good fun.
Anyway, your riding a Kawasaki ZX6R, its sure to be a blast.

When you get into racing be sure to let us all know how you go.

Ah before I go start from the 'stock' settings, do you have an owners manual for your bike? The standard or stock settings are in the owners manual. If not drop into your local Kawasaki dealer and pick one up. In the interim here are the 'stock' suspension settings for the 2000 ZX6R as detailed in the owners manual:

Front forks:
Spring Preload 14mm (0.6") from top of adjuster
Rebound Damping Force Adjuster 7th click from fully turned in position
Compression Damping Force Adjuster 9th click from fully turned in position
* Spring preloadadjuster requires a wrench (spanner) for adjustment, turn the 'blue' nut for adjustment from 5mm - 20mm measured from top of blue nut to the lower nut on the triple clamp
* Rebound can be adjusted using a screw driver to move the 'screw' type looking adjuster on top of the front fork
* Compression can be adjusted with a screw driver, the adjuster is located at the bottom trailing edge of the front forks (it looks the same as the rebound adjuster)
Rear Suspension:
Rebound Damping Force 10th click from fully turned in position
Compression Dampin Force 10th click form fully turned in position
Spring Preload - my ZX6R owners manual says for adjustment "have it adjusted by your Kawasaki authorized dealer"
* Rebound adjuster can be found right below the rear suspension spring
* Compression adjuster can be found at the top of the spring on the bottom of the reservoir
Both use a screw driver for adjustment just like the front forks.

I hope all this helps, Good Luck
[/b]

1 - 6 of 6 Posts