Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Heya all.

I have a 1990 Kawasaki Ninja 600R with 13000 miles on it. I just picked it up yesterday and today I was washing and waxing it in my garage. While waxing suddenly the radiator fan came on without warning and without the keys being in the ignition. Also the bike hadn't been started since last night so the bike hadnt been running at all today. I just moved it outside my garage to wash it and back in to wax it. I waited for about 10 minutes to see if the fan would stop but it didnt so I disconnected the battery to not kill the battery.

Any ideas on what might be the problem? I was thinking the temperature sensor/switch.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks,
Sam

·
Registered
78 Posts
were you using hot water? you may have caused the heat of the sensor to rise to the point where the fan would kick in if you were riding.

·
Registered
456 Posts
The sensor is a very likely culprit. It's also possible that you have a short; i.e., some bare positive wire touched a bare positive on the fan motor, or a wire going to it.

I wouldn't think hot water could do it. Water at 140F is considered scalding, but it's still way too cold to turn on a fan sensor. Besides, the sensor is buried in the engine, and you'd have to get a lot of metal up to that temperature to flip the sensor. I don't think it would do it.
Curt

·
Registered
8,245 Posts
Curt said:
The sensor is a very likely culprit. It's also possible that you have a short; i.e., some bare positive wire touched a bare positive on the fan motor, or a wire going to it.

I wouldn't think hot water could do it. Water at 140F is considered scalding, but it's still way too cold to turn on a fan sensor. Besides, the sensor is buried in the engine, and you'd have to get a lot of metal up to that temperature to flip the sensor. I don't think it would do it.
Curt
The sensor on the ex500 is actually on the left hand side of the carbs, easily accessible w/o taking the stock fairings off.

·
Registered
78 Posts
looking at mine, i thought it was on the left at the top of the radiator?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts