Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
See the link below for a comparison shootout.

Mainstream Choppers Shootout

In one way it is too bad that Kawasaki doesn't have a player in this game yet. On the other hand, if their strategy is to watch and see if these kind of bikes get any traction, this is a good year to do it. THings are moving so slowly that they won't miss out on tons of sales.

I've seen a few V2K choppers on this forum... a few of those would have done very nicely.

·
Registered
19,728 Posts
I sit everyday looking at the Raider. The red is nice, details have been thought out well, and the accessories are much nicer than any other that Yammy has to offer on it's other Star bikes. So I swaggered over to sit on it.

Being on the short side, I could barely reach the shift peddle, and missed the bars by several inches! If you're tall, it's the bike for you!

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
I like the Raider...the Rocker is like a pretty girl in a bikini with bad cellulite in her derrier! The Victory is OK, but I would rather the 8ball.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Fact vs Hype. There is alot of discussion about the Raider here and elsewhere. Well, I person it isn't much unless you favor form over function. The turned up rear fender is very dated and the styling, poor ergonomics and miniscule fuel tank make it a BAR-TO-BAR cruiser (?) only. This bike simply will not fit alot of riders. If your idea of cool is being stretched out to the point where control is limited, this is the bike for you. At 5'10" this is giant PITA to even sit on. Kawasaki got the rear fender right on the Meanie and 900 Custom. Both of those bikes could easily make a better chopper-like bike should Kawasaki choose to do so.... IMHO. Be careful what you wish for, you may end up with a bike that isn't all you dream it will be.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
Fact vs Hype. There is alot of discussion about the Raider here and elsewhere. Well, I person it isn't much unless you favor form over function. The turned up rear fender is very dated and the styling, poor ergonomics and miniscule fuel tank make it a BAR-TO-BAR cruiser (?) only. This bike simply will not fit alot of riders. If your idea of cool is being stretched out to the point where control is limited, this is the bike for you. At 5'10" this is giant PITA to even sit on. Kawasaki got the rear fender right on the Meanie and 900 Custom. Both of those bikes could easily make a better chopper-like bike should Kawasaki choose to do so.... IMHO. Be careful what you wish for, you may end up with a bike that isn't all you dream it will be.
well its a chopper and thats what you are gooing to get. I have seen people criticize the meanstreak in the same way( I have heard it called a bar hopper on this site before) .beauty is in the eye of the beholder.I for one do not go on long trips on my bikes usually 100 miles max so it wouldn't bother me.

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
I think they are all nice but all of them have the quirks I don't care for.
With exception of the Yammie I think I could build a chopper much cheaper that would be just what I wanted. Not something I spent 20,000 on an had to spend more to customize it.

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
I think they are all nice but all of them have the quirks I don't care for.
With exception of the Yammie I think I could build a chopper much cheaper that would be just what I wanted. Not something I spent 20,000 on an had to spend more to customize it.
That was my thought exactly. The Yama has a great price, but if I want a "custom" chopper I'd build one. I don't know what type of milage the Raider gets, but it does seem set up for short trips. IMHO these 3 bikes seem to be aimed at the people that watch American Chopper, but can't afford th $70K - $80K on would cost, and can't/won't build their own. These bikes are show more than "serious" riding. Don't get me wrong all 3 are nice bikes. I don't like some of the lines on the Raider, don't like the look of the engine on the Vic, and the HD looks like an HD. If you aren't a brand junkie, then the Yama wins hands down.

·
Deeppurple52
2,072 Posts
Ruger +1 There is a large segment of the rider world that envisions themselves on choppers. That's why there is so much choice out there. I wasn't knocking the Raider. Hey, 113 c.i. can't be all bad! The 3.7 gal tank can also be a plus because you will spend a lot of time at the gas station with people telling you how cool it is! Coolness is why most ride choopers.

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
If i didnt have a need for saddle bags or just looking for solo rider for little spats here and there then i would def. get the raider. I love how it dominates pretty much every category at a much less price.

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Well, the purpose of a shootout is to compare bikes that are targeted at the same segment, not compare a bike to every bike in existance. The only conclusion that I would draw from the comparison is that three people who ride motorcycles a lot all prefer the Raider as a chopper over the Rocker and the Vegas.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Personally, I think the turned up fender is cool, I don't think much of the fender on the meanie or the classic, they are just fenders, the 900 custom is a butt ugly plasticized bike. It broke no ground in style or design and is as boring as can be. The Raider may not be perfect but it is one of the most innovative designs in awhile. Yamaha/Star did lots of different things that are definately not going to appeal too the masses. Choppers are by their very nature are not the most ergonomic, or known for their long distance touring capability. If ya want long distance and ergonomics get a Nomad or a Wing. The Vulcan Classics 800,900 1500 and even the V2k appeal too many cause they are good basic bikes. They along with the Wings, Road Kings and all the similar bikes are good platforms for touring and long distance riding. Stripping them down they can be good starting points for choppers. The Raider is a Factory custom, made to appeal to a few, not the most useful, but a neat toy. Every bike isn't meant to have a set of hard bags and a windshield on it. I personally wouldn't put a windshield on any bike. May as well drive the car. The Mean Streak is cool, but still not a chopper or even a start for a chopper_ IMO! Its a sport cruiser, meant to hotrod, blast the curves and rip up on the stop light to stoplight. All of this doesn't mean you can't use the bike for cross country touring, but when you pick, use some common sense and decide what you want to do, and match the bike to that.

If ya know your gonna play basketball everyday you wouldn't go to the shoe store and buy cowboy boots then say how they suck. If so you are only showing your lack of intelligence because trying to use the wrong tool for the job and [email protected]#tching cause it doesn't work is just proof the user is at fault!

Stop dreamin about the bike you wish it could be and use the resources and your own introspection to decide what is right for "YOUR INDIVIDUAL USE" and pick accordingly. If you want to ride cross country for 2 or 3 weeks get a tourer, if you want to carve the canyons, get a sport bike! Bottom Line, pick the bike thats right for YOU, assess each bike for its INTENDED purpose! Just because it has 2 wheels doesn't mean it will fit your needs.

Bottom line is the Raider is a bike meant for a certain segment of the MC market...obviously not your segment. It is meant to evoke the imagery (a very polished imagery) of the custom choppers which sprang from the choppers of the outlaw gangs. When they hit the road for a road trip, it isn't with hard bags and the old ladies curling iron and make up kit with an evening gown in the cavernous trunk. it was soft bags,with 2 pair of greasy jeans and a handfull of tattered tshirts and a case of beer. All the rest of the stuff was in the chase truck driven by some lowly prospect or someones old lady! Choose your style, and realize every bike can't be everything to everyone!

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
I like the Raider...the Rocker is like a pretty girl in a bikini with bad cellulite in her derrier! The Victory is OK, but I would rather the 8ball.
+1
8 Ball is a sweet ride.

JBrian, that was totally uncalled for. He didn't say anything that's untrue. The 900 Custom is a very nice ride and I would love to have one as a backup for my 1600, but if you're talking innovation, style, etc... it's nothing special. It is literally a smaller version of the V2K (which in turn is patterned after the HD SoftTail/Yammy RoadStar) with a Dyna styled front end.
It's not a chopper, and wasn't targeted at those who would buy a chopper.

·
Registered
201 Posts
He called my bike a butt ugly plastic boring bike, he was the one in the wrong. What kind of rider says that about another riders bike? Same brand same forum, he has no class. I stand behind what I said! His bike may be nice, and I'm sure it is, but I wouldn't call someone elses bike what he called mine. Cowboy bob owes every 900 custom owner an apology.

·
Registered
410 Posts
I think the raider would make a nice Second bike.. or if your not into tour and you only ride local. I sat on a few raiders. I liked the S model the most. very easy to get off the stand . but i didnt see a place for saddle bags etc. Unless you want saddle bags the nice of a small purse.. lol But it is what it is. a cool looking bike. You cant compare it to tourers or standards or anything else that is NOT in its class. Thats like comparing a 2 seater car to a mini van. one has no room the other has all the room. I agree with what someone else said about it being a cheaper version of a chopper. hell i seen a S model for under $14000, try getting the most basic chopping for that price.

chris

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
He called my bike a butt ugly plastic boring bike, he was the one in the wrong. What kind of rider says that about another riders bike? Same brand same forum, he has no class. I stand behind what I said! His bike may be nice, and I'm sure it is, but I wouldn't call someone elses bike what he called mine. Cowboy bob owes every 900 custom owner an apology.
THis is the USA and I am entitled to my opinion. I am sorry you took offense at it but I disagree with the need to apologize. Its an opinion, some may agree with and some may not. I am not a brand loyalist. When the 900s came out I was hoping they would be cool, I didn't like them from the get go. Somewhere back in the 1000 or so posts I have is a detailed explanation, but I can't find it. I won't tell someone I like something I don't, you ride what you choose, and I am happy you ride. I also don't care if anyone likes my bike...I am the only one who has to like it.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Hey on the positive side, at least you have "real" rear brakes on your bike. and your drive line doesnt rust? lol Something to make you feel a little better. (not poking fun either). Enjoy your 900 and enjoy the fact that the aftermarket world wants to be your friend! 900's are popping up like mad around here.

chris www.CruiserCustomizing.com - Member Detail

·
Registered
762 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
I personally don't like to trash any bike, but I see little difference in Cowboy's opinion of the 900 and Purples trashing of the raider.

favor form over function...very dated, styling, poor ergonomics and miniscule fuel tank .. will not fit alot of riders...stretched out to the point where control is limited...giant PITA to even sit on... I guess those are supposed to be considered compliments?

Now, I do question the wisdom of trashing a 900 specifically in a Kawi forum. HOWEVER, how can an individual totaly trash another bike and then claim foul when someone starts trashing theirs?

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
the fact is you should be able to give you honest opinion of any bike.
I would say a direct comment toward an individual about his or her bike is different. a generalized comment about how you feel about a particular model is accceptable even if you are trashing a kawi

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder. I find the 900 a great looking bike. There is no comparison between the Vulcan line and the "Chopper Shootout" bikes - apples and oranges. The thing that really has me wondering about all these type threads is the thing about plastic. I'm not sure why some find plastic parts on a bike that offensive. Could someone please explain to me why some plastic parts is a bad thing? And please then tell me what type of car/truck you drive and if it has any plastic on it. I just noticed the other day that the air cleaner cover on the Road King Police seems to be plastic.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts