Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well, the "winter" weather is setting in here in (not so) sunny Tucson, AZ. Thought it is cold(er) it is not something that can't be tolerated with jeans, leather, gloves and a balaclava on under the bucket.

However, with the winter weather comes rain, soooo... What do you all use for rain gear and why?

·
Poser Proud®
3,778 Posts
Frog Toggs.

·
Registered
71 Posts
I use the Aerostich Roadcrafter suit in all but the hottest Florida weather. Here's why:

1) Though ghastly expensive ($750 or so) you could easily spend that much on gear by the time you put together a jacket, pants, and rain gear, so in the end it's pretty cost-effective.

2) It can be worn over street clothing, which is ideal for commuting or arriving at a destination where what you're wearing underneath matters.

3) It's competitively "safe," with balistics in all the right places, and a material on the outer shell that will save your skin should you suddenly find yourself continuing on your journey sans bike.

4) It has vents that really work to keep you cool and move air through the suit.

5) It has great visability aids in the form of 3M reflective bits everywhere.

6) While it's not 100% rain PROOF, it can be ridden for short distances (1/2 hour to an hour) and keep the water out quite well. The only time I've gotten wet in mine was during a very, very heavy downpour, when some water got in under the collar and puddled in the crotch, but only because I didn't have the neck "sealed" completely.

7) It's washable and you can treat it with water repellent additives or sprays to keep the outer shell from letting water in.

8) Customer serivce is second to none. I accidentally broke the zipper on mine - pulled too hard when it stuck on a piece of fabric - and nearly two years later, Aerostich replaced the main zipper no charge. The zipper did not fail - I broke it, and was honest with them about that - but it didn't matter - they covered it.

Now, if you're planning an all day ride in the rain... you're probably looking at something that's rain-specific. But for commute distances and the occasiononal "got caught in the rain" rides, I could not be happier with the Roadcrafter.

Jim

·
Registered
498 Posts
I just ordered, but haven't received a Tourmaster Sentinel jacket and pants. I saw in an add they fold up really small, and that is whats important to us. When the 2xl comes in, I'll check out the sizing. If that does fit over my mesh jacket, I will order a Large set for the wife. If that is too small, the wife gets the 2xl, and I'll order 3xl.

P.S. It looks light enough that I'll just wear the rain jacket over my mesh jacket when it is cold. That is what I do now with my old aging tearing rain jacket.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'll have to look into both. I am thinking that the Aerostich Roadcrafter might be out of the question due to cost, heat (might kill me riding in 110 temp) and Arizona Monsoons.

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
get a good quality suit specifically for motorcycles. They are less likely to leak at seams, etc especially when considering the wind force against them. There's nothing worse than getting wet and cold, so a little money now will be appreciated down the road!

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I bought Gortex powder pants and a Gortex jacket at LL Bean's "seconds" shop in 2001. The Gortex keeps the water out and breathes, and I prefer 2 piece to 1 piece suits (my legs are too long). The pants cost $35 and the jacket $200 (North Face). They're bright yellow and can be seen through the rain. I got HD Gortex gloves and Muck boots for hands and feet. With the Scorpion helmet, nothing gets wet (except the bike). lol I'm thinking of getting Widder water resistant gloves (I already have the leather heated gloves, but they're not worth spit in cold rain).

Jan

·
Registered
533 Posts
bought a good two piece rain suit at cabellos.... they do not sell it anymore.. but, that is a good place to look.. :)

·
Premium Member
1,373 Posts
Frog Toggs.....Very effective Suit.
Used this suit through 4 hours of pretty steady rain(not drizzle) when going through Colorado mountains on the way to Sturgis this past year. DID NOT GET WET.

·
First Bike Bliss
152 Posts
I ride year round in Portland, so rain gear is a must. I use just my leather jacket and a pair of seamsealed waterproof rain pants from Performance Bicycle over my jeans for light rain. (cheap, light, works great, and easy to pull on over my boots).

For heavier stuff, I carry a TourMaster one piece rain suit.

Cheers,

·
Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
Frog Toggs.....Very effective Suit.
Used this suit through 4 hours of pretty steady rain(not drizzle) when going through Colorado mountains on the way to Sturgis this past year. DID NOT GET WET.
Were they the motorcycle specific type? Some have said that the standard FT suits leak at the seams and pockets in the wind.

·
Registered
294 Posts
azwily1, For all the rain we get here in AZ go out and get the Frogg toggs, use them once an store them for the other 360 days of the year LOL.

Haven't hit a rainstorm yet that after 20 minutes in the heat or half an hr later your not dried out.

Now for our moss covered breathern in the north west,or their eastern/south eastern cousins, that ride in frog choaking rain,they have to buy an extra set of gills to keep riding.

I have gone so far as making a poncho out of a trash bag, and if you don't like the rain stick around or ride fast and your out of it, back to the sunshine...............

Ride safe

·
Registered
139 Posts
I bought the TourMaster "Defender" 2-piece for my trip to Daytona last month. I rode all the way from South Carolina to Indiana in a steady rain on the Interstate. Did a great job except that after a while, I did get a little wet from the vent holes that are in the underarm area. But then again, I was on the Interstate in a lot of road spray from semis. I'm sure it would be completely fine for shorter rides.

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ojisan, if I were going to be out and about, that is exactly what I would do. But since the bike is my primary means of transpo (unless I steal the truck from the wife) drying out at work in a server room isn't going to work.

·
Registered
139 Posts
drying out at work in a server room isn't going to work.
I have actually dried off behind our server racks after coming back from lunch in a downpour (while driving the truck). It amazing how much heat 12 servers and a SAN storage system can put out.

·
Registered
35 Posts
So, I have been trying to get advice on waterproof jackets in the Riding Gear section, but most of you just wear cheaper outer rain gear over your regular protective equipment?

·
Registered
17,940 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Oh no, I know how much heat they can produce, I just don't have the luxury of staying in there long enough to dry out.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts