Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

· Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
....Your biggest worry is the back half of the motorcycle-it's probably trying to pass the front. With the rear wheel partially unweighted and the steering neck turned into a huge hinge, it doesn't take a lot of effort for the rear to pivot and swing to the side. As if that's not enough to deal with, with the front wheel stopped you've lost the stabilizing gyroscopic force that smoothes out and slows steering inputs. With spinning wheels you can hit a six-inch pothole and the motorcycle will just about steer its own way out. With a locked wheel, any disturbance, no matter how small, can be disastrous.
I'm calling bunk to this section. If your front tire locks and the rear does not, your rear tire will NOT (in my opinion) swing around to meet you. If the rear tire is not locked up, it will not skid. What will likely happen in the author's scenario is that the front tire will skid out and you'll go down on one side of the other. If you lock up the rear tire, THEN it will be swinging around to meet you.

He's right (again, my opinion) that releasing the brake is the correction, however, if done when the tire is cocked, it will cause a violent correction, likely a huge wobble, and down you'll go. Not always, of course, but the possibility exists. Same is true of the rear. it'll correct itself too if released.

· Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
on a sport or standard, it's a bit easier to deal with the rear lockup becuase you can use your legs and feet to control the rear end somewhat. It's harder to do on a cruiser because your feet are out in front of you more. It could be done, but I sure don't wanna be trying it! :D

· Novice Tank Roller
15,810 Posts
I'm calling bunk to this section. ....
NCDAVE, my friend, I've been riding for a hell of a long time ......
Dave's right about everything in his first post. .......
Yea, I didn't realize that was the problem until I read your post and thought... he's exactly right!

Glad we figured that out!......
Dep, I really wasn't trying to attack you. Just trying to express that my riding experience has shown me some different things that what the author of that article was saying. Obviously it was only a lack of understanding the points and ideas that we're trying to make to each other. I now understand what you are trying to explain after reading some of the additional posts. I think we were all right in our own way, but it was an apple/orange type of thing. It's always good to learn more though. Sorry if I offended you with my comments.

Just for the record....I have a lot of experience too! :p
(that was ONLY a jab...no offense intended!!!) :biggrin:

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.