Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What about when you're just trying to get where you're going and cagers are all about cutting right back over in front of you and making sure to spray you with the road grunge when it's raining??? It rained today. Washed the bike yesterday... Changing my last name to Murphy.

·
Registered
1,803 Posts
You should take extra care of your bike after riding it through the rain. Wash it down to make sure there isn't any salt on the paint job. You should also grease your chain after riding through the rain.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Rain

At least we have a rider that's not a fair weather rider...You can always wash and dry a bike...Keep them lubed, and waxed...TLC...Just remember to lube the chain while it is still hot and not after it cools down...it soaks in better as it cools...better penetration, with lubrication...sounds like a subject...anyway in the old days we used to use a couple of chains and soak them in nearly boiling parafin wax before removing them and hanging them to drip the excess off...then wrap them up to keep them as a ready spare should we need one on the track for some reason...I guess that it would still work, but it's more work than just spraying the chain over unfolded newspaper, and letting it soak in...before tossing the paper.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
Shaft drive

I think that shaft drive is under rated. You already have a support/swingarm, so why not have it controlled by an inclosed driveshaft? There should be some more thought put into this area. It sure eliminates drivetrain problems and maintenance, and even cleaning up messes associated with lubrication, etc. I think that cassette gearboxes for your style of riding should be available...perhaps not required, but it would be nice. Lowering a bike to nearly the ground with a locked position tha tthe owner can control would be great as well, to prevent/deter thieves. Installing a lock-pin before lowering would be awesome. should the system fail on the road the lock pin would prevent the bike from lowering and keep it at a proper clearance...Hope this makes sense. Quieter efficient, less maintenance, less labor...almost as cheap as chain and sprockets.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Scarecrow, I see you are in NC also. I live in Wilkes county and all we have had is rain around here. I got in about a hour and a half this Monday before the clouds rolled back in. If it's raining because you are washing it you may want to lay off that for a while. Just kidding. Keep it clean. :D

·
Registered
98 Posts
It looks like it's going to drop the bottom any time today, but I rode anyway. Yesterday was nice as was Sunday on the parkway.

Fatcat

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yeah, I got it all nice and clean over the weekend. Even pulled the fairing off and washed underneath... It's raining.. again.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Hi Guys,I bought my new Kawasaki Concours in June this year I live in the Rock Hill SC. area,as of Oct 23th I had put 15,000+ miles on her with out washing her,I ride the Blue Ridge Parkway and serounding twisty roads every weekend rain or shine! on Oct 24th I had to wash her though because I was up in the BRP area and ran into some wet snow,sleet and rain which brought out some salt/gravel trucks forcing me to wash the bike!! (motorcycles hate salt) Other then that I'm not washing her,I bought my Conours to ride lots of miles,trying to keep a clean motorcycle cuts into my riding time!! (LOL) :lol: ........Scarecrow; The cure to cagers intentionly try to hurt you in anyway .. Nah.. I can't post that on the net!! :( But if you ever see a crazy old guy riding a Concours like a bat out of he!! in the BRP area,that would be me! and I'd be glad to tell you in person what has worked for me for 40+ years of riding motorcycles!! I hope to meet some of you guys one day,in the mean time...Ya All Ride Safe Now YA HEAR" :wink:

·
Registered
85 Posts
I also ride rain or shine and year round, so washing the bike for me is normally a wipedown with the bandana after I've soaked the water off the seat and tank. Chain lube and WD-40 come in handy if you ride everyday. I'm still a rather newbie, so I'm still picking up the proper gear to keep me on the bike. I'm shooting for snow/ice being the only reasons I don't ride this year.

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
rain

now we're talking ! that's why i leave my cover off when it rains, free wash job !! what's the point of washing it when i am going to ride it in the rain, or down a dirt road, or who knows where !!! chrome is such a pain in the butt, wish it was cheap to powdercoat the entire bike, pipes and all !!!

·
Registered
59 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Mike, or any of you for that matter, if you are ever in Waynesville, come by Crazy Bob's. If you ask local riders, they know where it is. Actually, a lot of riders know where it is. We meet every Sat and Sun and ride the days away. Lot of em won't ride in the rain. But I will.

Sam

1 - 13 of 13 Posts