Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
251 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been posting around about swapping out the stock mufflers on my '82 KZ750H3 for something similar but smaller, and getting replys that the stock 'megaphone' type mufflers were the best for the bike (that with others the engine might not run as well).

Okay, makes sense. Here's the problem; I recently lowered the rear end 3" with struts and installed a springed solo seat (I'm slowly bobbing this thing). It actually rides nicely and not too harshly, but the stock mufflers are scraping the ground on tighter turns, hence my reason for wanting smaller ones. The exhaust system is all welded, no clamps. Is there a way I can bend the mufflers up a bit without damaging the header pipes where they connect? Perhaps cut them off and clamp in a short, slightly curved piece of tubing?

·
itching to ride
2,233 Posts
Just replace them with some slip-ons. If you change the airbox to pods you will need to rejet but just changing the mufflers you should not have to.

The stock mufflers are a compromise to pass the inspections but are not necessarily the best for power. Ignore those who tell you to keep it stock.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts