Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

I recently purchased a used 2006 Vulcan 1500 classic. I have been noticing that the fuel light has been coming on just after 100 miles or so. When I have filled up when this happens I am usually finding around 2 gallons of gas still in the tank (takes just about t3 gallons to fill). Anyway per a previous post and feedback several people have seen the low fuel light coming on too early. Several people stated around 150 miles is where they gas up. So.. I figured that would be a good measuring stick. So yesterday just as I pull in the driveway the bike engine slows for a second and then stalls. I try to start it, but no luck. I shake the tank and can hear a little more gas in it, but not sure how much. I also pour about 1/10 of a gallon from a can I had, swish it around some more and the bike starts back up an idle's before I shut it back down. I plan on filling the can tonight, and putting more gas in the bike before heading to a gas station. Sorry to be so wordy. Most of this driving was in the city with mix of highway and surface street driving. I guess my question/biggest concern is with a 5 gallon tank how in the world am I running out of gas?? As far as I know there were now modifications to the fuel system or exhaust system.

Any input is greatly appreciated.

Flanman

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
I can do that. I actually checked the air filter last weekend and it looked fine. Am I checking to see if it is just oily because of running out of gas, or because of the poor mileage?

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
My 2002 1500 FI gets about 45mpg. I never let it go beyond 125 miles on a tank, though, without getting gas. There always seems to be plenty of gas left when I fill it up at 125, but I'm nervous about running out of gas.

I've done the Cadman mod to mine and have aftermarket pipes and a PowerCommander on mine. Don't know if that makes a huge difference in gas mileage...

·
Registered
252 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I checked the filter today when I got home. A little dirty, but no oil. I put in about 1/2 gas to get me to a stations and it appears to be running fine. Luckily I don't appear to have any FI issues with it running out.

·
Praying for sun!
146 Posts
My light comes on around 120 miles and then I try to fill up between 140-150. Usually takes 4 gallons at that point. Longest I have ridden the bike is 160 miles and it took 4.4gal that time.

·
Xpylut
438 Posts
I never go more than 120 miles before getting gas. I never wait for the fuel light. I treat the gas guage on my V2K as a cute accessory but otherwise useless. Usually I'm looking for the next gas station at 100 miles.

·
Ahhh Crap
2,344 Posts
Any mods or changes to the bike or is it stock?

·
Power Hungry V2K Rider
6,395 Posts
The big twins tend to improve gas milage with time and distaince. I believe your's is still relativley "new" and is early in the brake in curve. Milage tends to slowly improve until around the 2,500 to 4,000 mile point, at which time they are about "completly broke in."

You did get almost 140 miles on the tank when most 1600s typically run to about 160. Give it a few more miles to brake in.

·
Registered
84 Posts
i've just finished a milage check on my v2k. with 1750 miles, it's doing almost 44mpg. thats some town, but mostly open road at 60-70(seldom 70:mrgreen: )

·
Registered
455 Posts
It makes a huge difference if you are riding in town as opposed to cruising on the hiway. On the hiway I have gotten 48, around town I have gotten 30. Alot depends on your wrist.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
1500 is only a 5 gallon tank, and there's between 1/4 and 1/2 gallon that you can't use.

You can't put in 3 gallons and assume that you had 2 left... how you fill it, how high up the neck, upright or sidestand can make as much as a gallon difference.

Also, fuel economy can be inconsistent depending on conditions. I got 45 in AZ cruising the Grand Canyon. I average 35 here in CA, mix of highway and twisties.

Last weekend, we rode out to the Tamale Festival in Indio and fought a STIFF headwind on the way home... 4.5 gallons, 107 miles.
The 1100 Shadows and V-Stars were pinned in 4th and couldn't break 55mph.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts