Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, the girlfriend wants to come riding with me next spring onwards - fine.

I told her about a sissybar etc etc, BUT I want some kind of contraption to swiftly take off the sissybar when she's not with me.

A mate of mine has made something for his Harley, but its not really THAT quick.
I don't want to take the whole thing off, the hinges can stay on.
Maybe saw the bars which go upwards ? Place a smaller tubing in the existing bars and with somekind of screw or latch ??

Any ideas anyone ??

·
Registered
1,946 Posts
On my Suzuki, I cut notches in the mounting brackets so instead of having to take out the fender bolts to remove it, I just had to loosen them and then retighten. One notch was straight up and down and the other was angled so it locked in place pretty good.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On my Suzuki, I cut notches in the mounting brackets so instead of having to take out the fender bolts to remove it, I just had to loosen them and then retighten. One notch was straight up and down and the other was angled so it locked in place pretty good.

a mate of mine just left on the mounting brackets, fully tightened.
He then saw the upper piping, about two inches after the curve, then put a smaller pipe into the sissybar piping.
He fixed the original together useing two large butterfly screws.
Quick turn, loose and sissybar taken out.
It was safe and quick.

I think I might look into doing that.

The thing is, I've just spraypainted my "wings" on the side of the fenders, I don't want to scratch them everytime I talke the things off. I'd sooner just leave them there, and this seems to be the best option.

·
Workin' to ride
559 Posts
The solutions offered by Steve and Curtis look the slickest, but I bet the mod done by Dan would work well also. Unfortunately you have paint instead of chrome...I still don't understand you guys that want to cover perfectly good chrome with paint. :tongue:

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
I just purchased the Paladin version the other day. Hopefully I get it before Turkey Day so that I have something to do that day. Be on the lookout next Friday or during the weekend for the story and right up.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I wish somebody would come with a system that would allow a quick release backrest AND saddle bags. You can have one or the other, but not both. I rarely keep my bags on the bike, but when I need them it's usually because me and the wife are going for a long ride or trip....hence needing he backrest also. I have a set of Ghost Brackets on my bags that I feel pretty sure I could have someone machine another groove into the mounts to hold a backrest. I just dont' know what size slots are in the quick release brackets already on the market.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I was working on the bike all day yesterday, its coming along great.
The last items to go on "should" arrive this week so the week after it should be finished.

I was thinking about a rapid click system to dismount the sissybar.
But I've come up with something, which I think will look better and its more original.

I'm not going to say what and how - not yet - I'm going to get them done first, then mount them, take some pics and you can see for yourself.

I must admit - IF they turn out like I THINK they will, the bike will look ultra cool.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
I wish somebody would come with a system that would allow a quick release backrest AND saddle bags. You can have one or the other, but not both. I rarely keep my bags on the bike, but when I need them it's usually because me and the wife are going for a long ride or trip....hence needing he backrest also. I have a set of Ghost Brackets on my bags that I feel pretty sure I could have someone machine another groove into the mounts to hold a backrest. I just dont' know what size slots are in the quick release brackets already on the market.
The Paladin system can be used in conjunction with ghost brackets.

This thread should answer most of your questions.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/104655-ghost-brackets-sissy-bar.html

I currently have ghost brackets with my bags and should be expecting my Paladin backrest/luggage rack Thanksgiving eve.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
I was working on the bike all day yesterday, its coming along great.
The last items to go on "should" arrive this week so the week after it should be finished.
A bike is never finished. It is a constant work-in-progress. The sooner you realize this truth, the easier life will get.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
A bike is never finished. It is a constant work-in-progress. The sooner you realize this truth, the easier life will get.
"constant" ??

No mate, it works in stages, I've got stage one finished, stage two is underway,but I've still got stage three and four to do.

And if you think that after I've done all that work, I'm going to start over again ? Forget it.

·
Registered
137 Posts
The Paladin system can be used in conjunction with ghost brackets.

This thread should answer most of your questions.
http://www.kawasakimotorcycle.org/forum/kawasaki-cruisers/104655-ghost-brackets-sissy-bar.html

I currently have ghost brackets with my bags and should be expecting my Paladin backrest/luggage rack Thanksgiving eve.
Well it's great knowing something will atleast work, but it's definetly not going to be "plug and play" on the SE. I'd have to have the chrome stripped off and everything anodized black AND get a second groove machined in the Ghost Bracket mounts. If I put the Paladin mounts on the outside of the Ghost Bracket mounts (like suggested), I'd have posts sticking out 4" off the fenders.

But like I said, atleast I know SOMETHING will work........with modification. :) I would like to see pics of your setup when you get installed !!!!!

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Well it's great knowing something will atleast work, but it's definetly not going to be "plug and play" on the SE....... get a second groove machined in the Ghost Bracket mounts. If I put the Paladin mounts on the outside of the Ghost Bracket mounts (like suggested), I'd have posts sticking out 4" off the fenders.
You will be using the same Ghost Bracket mounts for both the saddlebags and the Paladin backrest with no modifications. If you plan on using Ghost Brackets, you would need slightly longer bolts to hold the ghost brackets mounts,the plasti-chrome fender trim, and behind that, the backrest support bar.

·
Registered
137 Posts
You will be using the same Ghost Bracket mounts for both the saddlebags and the Paladin backrest with no modifications. If you plan on using Ghost Brackets, you would need slightly longer bolts to hold the ghost brackets mounts,the plasti-chrome fender trim, and behind that, the backrest support bar.
I thought I read on the other thread (or maybe the other site) that to use both at the same time would require the Paladin mounts on the inside of the Ghost Bracket mounts. You have to have 2 sets of slots. I think if you just want to use either/or, then you can use the Paladin brackets on the Ghost Bracket mounts. If I got that system, I would definetly need to use both at the same time...requiring 2 slots. So I think it would look better just to machine another groove in the Ghost Bracket mounts instead of adding the Paladin mounts and making things stick out further from the fender. JMO.

·
Night Rider
802 Posts
Ok i don't have pics yet, but I have installed the Paladin removable backrest.

Before I go any further, I spoke to people from Ghost Brackets and National Cycle. Both companies said their products would work together.

Spent early morning of Thanksgiving working on this so I didn't take pics in progress. I tried various configurations to find out what would work since I was given differing ideas from both companies as to how to install both products at the same time.

Basically I ended up using the Paladin instructions.

I ended up having to remove the plasti-chrome fender trim. There was no way I was going to be able to use them with the Paladin backrest. The length between the mounting brackets is fixed and that distance is less than the length between the outer edges of the fender trim.

The backrest mounting spools went on the inside and the ghost brackets mounting spools went on the outside.

With the removal of the fender trim, it seems that the length the ghost brackets were jutting out remains unchanged.

With the removal of the fender trim, I had to use the original bolts that came with either the Paladin kit or the Ghost Brackets kit for non-backrest use. The Ghost Bracket kit for use with the Paladin backrest has 15mm longer bolts and would not work unless you wanted them to go through the fender as well.

Hope this answers some questions as well and if any of you have other questions, hopefully I am now in a better position to answer them.

Thank you
Gabriel

1 - 20 of 30 Posts