Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I used 2K Glamour Clear on my rattle can job, performed well on Rust-Oleum Industrial and on wheels after a good cleaning. 2K will chip however. If painting in cool weather putting spray cans in a pot of warm water helps with orange peel.
Hood Fender Gas Automotive exterior Personal protective equipment

Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Automotive tire

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
I'll give that a try as I'm just starting on the wheels which had plenty of built up crud and oxidation. I used several different cleaning methods and found that when it came to bringing back the luster to the polished parts of the wheel I had to use a combination of steel wool and 400 grit sandpaper. That really made a difference. Rubbing with any polishing compound was getting me no where fast. I'll post some pictures later.
I used dollar store oven cleaner and dish brush with high pressure water to get the caked on brake dust off and set out in the hot sun to dry. The bearings were out so water contamination wasn't a factor.

·
Premium Member
558 Posts
You can probably find Autosol at Walmart or automotive or even hardware stores. I was able to turn dull aluminum into a mirror finish with very little effort. Found this writeup on it. I just use a very small piece of soft cloth to apply and buff it.
You can use a powered buffing wheel too if doing a large surface.
View attachment 45793

A warning about trying to clearcoat aluminum:

You must remove all traces of any waxes or cleaners from the pores of the aluminum or the clearcoat will look like crap. I never bothered with clearcoat on my aluminum, because I found the shine would last at least a year and then a quick buff returns it to normal brilliance.
This is good advice and I failed to mention the wheel I clear coated had factory powder coating.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts