Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi I have a 1985 kx 125 that runs strong and has good power but developed a rattling noise during deacceleration. The Clymer manuel says that it could be a connecting rod bearing. Does anybody know how I could check it without splitting the case? Any other ideas of what could be causing this? Any help is appreciated

·
Dirt Bike Dad
144 Posts
you can rip off the top end and check if there is any sideways play in the piston/conrod.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Could be classic decel detonation, bad gas or too lean in the cold weather. Get some fresh gas, if that doesn't stop it go up a size on the main to rule out this possibility. Wouldn't it be nice if this was the problem!

·
Registered
407 Posts
Hi I have a 1985 kx 125 that runs strong and has good power but developed a rattling noise during deacceleration. The Clymer manuel says that it could be a connecting rod bearing. Does anybody know how I could check it without splitting the case? Any other ideas of what could be causing this? Any help is appreciated
If you have a bad rod bearing you would hear rapping all the time, both acceleration and decelleration.

I think what you are hearing is the exhaust pipe vibrating against the cylinder. Check to see that there is a good copper crush gasket between the muffler and cylinder. Also check to see the exhaust to cylinder springs are there, and not broken or stretched..

I actually use 2 gaskets on my KX500 cause KX500 exhausts vibrate badly and will start to wear into the cylinder if left alone.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts