Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All!

I am getting back into riding after about 10yrs away from it. My last bike was a Virago 750. I just finished the MSF course and am itching to get back into the saddle again :D I really like the Nomad but I am concerned that maybe it's a little too big for me since I've not ridden in such a long time. I'm thinking that a Yamaha 1100 Silverado may be the way to go(it's about 125lbs lighter). Any thoughts/experiences out there?

Thanks!
Dave

·
Registered
1,563 Posts
Congrats on taking the MSF class.

As for your bike decision, it depends on you, your riding skills, your comfort level, and what you enjoy riding. I recently spent about an hour test driving a Nomad, and found it to be heavier feeling and less nimble than my Vulcan Classic. Someone else may absolutely love it.

Visit some dealers. Check out some bikes. Sit on them. Ride them (if you can).

Good luck, and have fun! The hunt for a new bike is SO much fun.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
I like the looks of the Nomad but am not a "bagger" kind of guy. Still, they look good.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Nomad

I too got back into riding last year after a 20+ year break. I started back on an Shadow ACE 750 because I was concerned about weight. After riding the ACE for about 6 months, I traded for a Nomad FI. A test ride is no subsitute for long term use. I have been amazed at the ease of handling and performance of the Nomad. In my opinion it handles better than the 750 and in comfort there is no comparison. The bike feels nimble and the weight has not been an issue. You may want to start with a middle weight bike for self confidence. But in my opinion the Nomad is an great value and a great bike.

·
Official BTK Forum Pot Stirrer
37,387 Posts
In my perfect world, i'd have a nomad for the times I go 2 up. I use my cruiser for single riding

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've posted in other forums regarding your concern about weight. I to was out of the seen for about 18yrs. Purchased a 2004 nomad FI and was really uncomfortable about its weight. Now keep this in mind I am 5'7 and 160 in weight. Because of all the good people here I was encouraged to keep at it. Now after sometime of getting use to this bike, it is a real pleasure to ride. Very comfortable and does handle well. If you are like me, you expect this bike to turn on a dime. That was the part I needed to get use to. It needs to be address that a bike like the nomad is not what your use to riding if it's been awhile. Yes, it's a big bike, but smaller than others. It will balance and handle well for you once you get the hang of it. I will admit that I dropped the bike the first day when I was taking off. I had never dropped our had an accident in all the years I had been riding prior. I felt cursed, But it was my own stupid fault for trying to handle this bike like other bikes from previous years. No damage to the bike thanks to the crash bars, not even a scratch.

buggs

·
Registered
10 Posts
I'm 5'10, 180lbs with a 30 " in-seam. At first, I had a lot of problems keeping it upright after making a stop. More weight than I was use to compared to A Suzuki Volusia and more top heavy bike. I have dropped it several times but , as buggs said, the bars have saved the bike.

I have determined that, for me, the seat was too wide at the front, where my legs rest. When I go to put my feet down. the width of the seat was keeping me from getting a proper angle with my legs to better support the bike. I did a DIY job and cut some of the foam out but, I had an upholstery guy give me a price of $40 to fix it the way I wanted.

Ron

·
RIP Deron Harden :-(
32,545 Posts
nomad

ddpro153
i have not been on this site for too long, but i have already answered a similar question, twice i think. i am about the same size as you 5'7 170lbs. myself, i was not intimidated by the size of the bike just because that is not my nature, but i can certainly see why anyone would be. i went from a 505 lb dry weight honda magna to the nomad. no lie, the nomad is easier to handle than the magna was. i believe the nomad to be an excellently weighted bike. i truelly believe that if you have the confidence to give it a go, then you will be used to the weight by the time the motor is broken in. as far as buggs' comment about turning on a dime, i believe that the nomad can be turned as sharply as you have the guts to do. the nomad has a very close rake which allows tight turning. myself, i will not turn it too tight because i would rather not drop my new bike, but i believe it can be turned as tight as you deem necessary.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi ddpro153

I definately agree with ispeed77. The bike is as agile as you feel comfortable with. I'm 5'9" and the seat height of the nomad felt great when I first sat on it.

I have a 2004 Nomad FI and my biggest fear was dropping the bike when I was leaving the showroom. It had been awhile riding and the heaviest bike I rode was a HD Heritage Soft Tail. As soon as you start letting out the clutch this bike wants to stay upright and go. After you get some miles under your belt the Nomad will stay upright while you are almost at a snails pace. It you like baggers this is one of the best in the market.
Check out articles from Motorcycle Cruiser. As far as I'm concerned its the best bang for the buck.

DfgPilot

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks to all that replied :D

After much research and input from others like yourselves, I'm going with the 05 Nomad. Can't wait for spring time!!!

·
Registered
4 Posts
I got back into riding after a 30 year absence, I new I wanted a big bike though and 1500cc's was it, I started back on a used Suzuki LC until a crash in June, in september I bought a new 04 Nomad, At first I found it a little top heavy when sitting on it and moving it with my legs unlike my LC, but when in motion it is dream it handles like a dream and very smooth at high speeds, I rode Yamaha's and HArley's at Biktoberfest this year and was glad to be back on my mad. :D

·
Registered
91 Posts
Hi Torkmonster

Welcome to the forum. The Nomad is a great choice.

DfgPilot

·
Registered
283 Posts
Go for the big bike. I have not ridden in 20 years, been overseas. Came back and wanted a bike and everyone said get a big one. I got a VN1500 that weighs almost 800Lbs with all the add ones. It was hard at first due to the long wheel base and weight at low speeds. But after a couple of months and taken the MSF I am ready for a VN2000.

Take care, ride safe and enjoy.

·
Registered
19 Posts
returning to the ride

I'm like you in returning after many years. I started with a vulcan 750 and was looking for a bigger bike after about 6 months. I found a Nomad '02 on ebay and bought it. It is actually easier to ride than the 750. The clutch is smoother and it balances great right off the line. I still can't believe it will balance down to about 1 mph no problem, where the 750 was more quirky, and had a more sensitive clutch. It would stall if let out too quickly. Not the Nomad. The highway speeds are way more comfortable on the Nomad too. Winds are no problem either. The compliments I get are also nice, as I agree it is one of the best looking v-twins out there. Good luck.
Teddymar

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
I have an 800A, and I have to admit that I'm starting to think that I'm going to want to trade up next season. (My husband's BMW F650GS only lasted him four months--he just traded it in for a Yamaha FJR1300.) But I'm a woman--not very tall (5'5") and a 29" inseam--and I'm wondering whether the Nomad would be too much for me. I've sat on the bike, but I haven't taken a test ride yet. I have to admit I'm even a bit nervous about the test ride! I feel very comfortable with the weight of my 800, but I know the Nomad is quite a bit heavier.

Are there are women out there who ride a bike that size? I wonder if I'll be biting off more than I can chew. I'm looking at the 1500 Classic, too, but I sure do like the Nomad. What to do...

Julie

·
32,545 Posts
julie

Julie
i have seen women out there riding big bikes, so you wouldn't be the only one. since you obviously know how to ride i would focus on two things. can you comfortably hold the bike up at a stop and can you move the bike around by hand. moving the bike is the only downfall for me, but i find that if i grab one of the crash bars in front of the saddlebags. i only have around a 31" inseam at 5'8" and 170lbs, so i am not big either. figure out if you are comfortable and go with it, that's my advice.

·
I miss you, Deron
19,783 Posts
Thanks, ispeed. Yep, riding is fine because once the bike is moving the weight isn't really an issue (unless I'd be doing tight figure 8s, I suppose). I sat on both bikes and can hold them up fine and can easily straddle them. I rocked them from side to side, and they didn't really feel any heavier than my 800. Like you say, though, it's moving the bike around that would be the issue. Sometimes I have to push my bike up the driveway a bit or something like that and even the 500 pounds can be a challenge on an incline. I guess I'll have to ask the dealer to let me push the bike around the showroom floor for a bit. :)

Julie

·
32,545 Posts
yup

there you go. that was my only concern when i was buying my bike. most of the time i ride with someone else anyways, so if i was in a jam i would have help. i will say one thing, its a good thing it comes with "crash bars" because i could not imagine picking it up off the ground if it ever fell ! good luck.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts