Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What a day. I've had the bike two weeks and I lost the only key I got with it. I took the bike to my folks, then without going inside took their jeep to go pick them up at the aiport. Came straight back & no keys. It's a 2000 ex500r, the registration is locked under the seat & I haven't got the title back from the dmv yet. Anybody know if dealerships would be able get the key numbers from the VIN? Would they even do that without proof of ownership? I've got a copy of my insurance, maybe I could get a copy of the registration from the dmv. As if that weren't enough, Mom backed into it & cracked the front fender. Poor Ma, she felt horrible. Not too big a deal compared to the keys.

·
Registered
57 Posts
I believe that dealerships can make a new key for the bike if you give them simply the VIN number(they do this with cars, I just read a whole long thing about a repo company using the VIN number to get keys to someone elses car and take it). However, it costs about 200$ for cars.. probably similar with bikes.

·
Registered
71 Posts
You can't use the VIN for new keys otherwise anyone could copy the number off the bikes headstock get one cut and be away with it.

Kawasaki's come new with a small metal tag attached to the key ring with the key number stamped into it, There is a box in the Service / Warrenty book for the owner to make a note of it.

If you have neither of these then you need to remove one of the locks on your bike and take it to a good locksmith who will make a key to fit. (Most people remove the Helmet lock as these are usually easiest to get at )

Or a new lock set from Kawasaki ... OUCH

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, that's pretty much what I was figuring to hear. Man, that sucks. I'll see what I can do to get that helmet/seat lock off.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, I got the helmet lock off in about 10 minutes, no biggie. Took it to a locksmith. That lock only uses 4 of the 6 pins that the ignition lock uses. So he made me six keys with possible combo's of the other two cuts. None of those work though. He said he consulted the computer as to the other cuts that may have been used. I can see that there are at least two combinations of cuts that he didn't cover, so I'll just go back tomorrow & get however many other keys are possible regardless of what the computer says. One of those has got to work! Not such a big deal after all (knock on wood).

·
Registered
380 Posts
Bleah, hope it works out for ya. I hate losing keys... mostly because I'm so good at it.

·
Registered
5,201 Posts
twowheelertoy said:
Kawasaki's come new with a small metal tag attached to the key ring with the key number stamped into it, There is a box in the Service / Warrenty book for the owner to make a note of it.

Do not leave this tag on your key ring , remove it at put it in a safe place.

·
Registered
2,159 Posts
BIKE KEY

My key is on it's on its own, not even the Kryptonite key is on with it. I keep a spare at home with the Kryptonite spare, one with my wife (in case I have to call her) and one on my Regular key chain. IF I ever lose my regular set of keys, and my regular single key, I'll probably never need one of the other two...but at least there are options. Sorry to hear about your situation. At least you have the bike at home in a safe(?) place!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts