Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK...I'm curious what is a realistic price for an '07 900 Custom as I'm looking to buy a used one. I'm seeing new ones for $6500. I've seen some used ones listed on here anywhere from $6-7K, some with and some without accessories. Just this last September we bought an '06 900 Cassic with 7K on it for $4500. Just curious what people are actually getting for their Customs. I'm looking at two right now that are stock and both are asking $6500 (probably what they owe). Way too high in my opinion, but I'm not really an expert. Just looking for what others are getting for theirs.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I bought mine used with less than 3K on her for 6,200 in Aug. Bought it near new price but it was in perfect condition with Cobra pipes, PCIII, Thnder Cone air intake and a lower kit already installed. SO in my eyes it was worth it.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks.

With those kind of ad ons, I'd certainly agree with that price. I'm open to several things since there's a lot to do, but I'm OK with stock. Actually, I'd prefer pipes, hypercharger and chip since that's the biggest $$$. lol. So, if anyone has one like that they're looking to dump, let me know!

·
frequently disturbs class
2,220 Posts
This question is always interesting to me.-
Out here in the PNW, a clean, stock Custom with low miles would easily go for 6k or more. An offer of $4500 wouldn't be considered anything but a waste of time. Here in Portland, a new 08 Custom, OTD (bike, setup, freight, lisonce for that minkey, etc) is gonna be close to 8k, and that's with no sales tax in Oregon.
You midwest cats much have a much bigger pool of rides to choose from cuz it always seems like bikes cost much less out there. Lucky4U!

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah...we're pretty cool like that. :)

·
Registered
79 Posts
I'm thinking about parting with mine since I just picked up a 1500.. but if I'm looking to get $4500, I wouldn't even entertain the idea.. It would have to be $6500 (or better depending on the mods that went with it).
IMO

·
Missy Peregrym's #1 fan!
7,792 Posts
i guess it depends on where you are. Many have posted on here before that they paid 6500 and even less brand new, zero miles. I mentioned this to someone else that had a bike for sale on here and he became very defensive... then lowered his price to 6000. It doesnt seem all that high to me if pipes, processor and air mod was done and the miles were under 4k.

·
Fat Bottomed Girl
15,029 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I would agree. I'd certainly be interested depending on A) where you are (I"m in MN) and B) what you've done. If the pipes, processor and air were done with lower miles, I'd entertain the idea of $6500. But, I can go and but a brand new with warranty, no miles etc for any where from $6300-$6700...and that's just what local dealerships are asking for them before haggling.

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
Typically, accessories are worth no more than 10% to 50% of their retail value. They are worth more if the buyer PLANS to add them, but still, people that take blue book and then add every dime they spent on bling will never come close to that price. Hell, my 1600 was 10,500 new, and I've put well over $5k into it, but in reality, it's not worth more than $8k.

Blue Book for the '07 900 Custom is $6,160 dealer retail, $4,420 trade-in value.
A private party sale price should be somewhere in between, based on mileage, and yes, accessories.

Now keep in mind this is for an '07... the first year depreciation is the biggest hit. As time goes on, it's loss of value will level off, example:
2007 1600 Classic retails for $8,445. 2006 is $8,185. 2005 is $7,590. 2004 is $7.060, and the first year, 2003 lists at $6,600.

So a bike that could be had OTD for 10,500 lost $2,055 in value it's first year, but "only" $2,315 it's second year, $2,910 the third, $3,440 the 4th, and $3,900 it's 5th year.

But people wanting to sell what really is a brand new bike don't want to understand that. They know what they paid for it, and it may very well be a brand new bike, but the fact that it has been taken off of the dealer's lot means that it's lost at least 10% to 20% of it's value.
Why would anyone want to buy a used bike, and perhaps "somebody else's problem", when for another couple hundred they could buy a brand new one?

Again, accessories CAN make a difference. If the seller has installed THE exact parts that you were planning to buy anyways, then that is worth something... however, if your plan is to install a "gunfighter" or solo seat, slam the rear end, and use it as a barhopper, then that $600 Mustang seat with driver's backrest and $700 National Cycle hardbags are worth exactly zero to you, as the buyer. Maybe you can sell them on eBay, maybe you can't, but it's still going to cost you time and effort.

·
Premium Member
2,603 Posts
Once again, Rich's words of wisdom ring true ;)

I occassionally entertain the idea of selling the Nad for a V2k or C14 or whatever daydreaming wonder machine suits my fancy this week. But I doubt I would even try to sell it WITH the accessories, I would remove em (or most of them) and sell them over the net -thus returning the bike to stock. Then it would be a stock 05 Nad with extended Kaw.Warr. and average miles for about $7k 8)

·
Patriot Guardian
28,016 Posts
And note that my examples of depreciation on the 1600 are DEALER RETAIL!
Trade in and private party... you're really taking a bath selling a 1-2 year old vehicle.

I used the 1600 because it doesn't seem to hold it's value like the Nomad, and it's been around for long enough to get some history.

·
2005 V2K
1,509 Posts
So true Rich, What folks are asking, or thinking that they're going to get, is one thing. What they actually get, is another. Granted, there may be that one person that's looking for exactly what you have to offer, good luck! Most don't want to pay a fair price, and of course, they're always looking for a deal. (at your expense) I'm sure location has a lot to do with it, but, all I can say from personal experience, if you're trying to sell that 1-2 year old bike, and trying to get top dollar, as Rich said, Splish Splash, Woooooo.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts