Kawasaki Motorcycle Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
79 kz1000 st. I dont have a book yet. I put in a new seal on the final drive. I put my axle in with some anti-seize on it and tighten it down tight. The wheel won't hardly turn. I loosen the nut up and the more I loosen it the easier the wheel spins. I s this right? No cotter pin or castle nut. Nothing just a plain ol nut. Kinda of leary about this. It took all I had with a 1/2 inch socket to get it off. Anybody have any thoughts. I did get my exhaust back from the welder nad it looks really good. Put it on and no leaks. Yayyyyyyyy. Went for a little ride around the block and put a section of garden hose to each cylinder and no more tapping. Hopefully It can behave now until winter comes and she will get a complete rebuild.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
Then maybe one escaped your pan during disassembley, because if all the spacers are there and in the correct order, the wheel won't bind no matter how tight the axle nuts are.
Item #3 is probably the most often misplaced.

·
This space for rent
687 Posts
I think he means #2 is most often misplaced - #3 looks like the nut. :)

You say there weren't any parts left over? gee.
I was thinking of the spacer that goes between the hub and the cush drive, but apparently that's only on chain drive bikes.

Looking at that pic, the only way I can see for the bearings to have excessive preload, is if #12 in the diagram were missing.

The spacers and the inner races of the bearings form a solid bar that contacts the swingarm on each side. When you tighten the axle nut you squeeze the various spacers and inner bearing races together solid.
And the wheel spins freely because there is no preload on the bearings.

That's why I think #12 is missing, it's the spacer between the two inner bearing races.

Or maybe it's something weird causing it 8)

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made sure to put to put in #12 and # 5 and #2. 12 went in whenI put the two halves together. 2 and 5 went in because they were all rusted and I sanded them down and repainted them.. Not the best but better than rust. Maybe my rear brake is binding because I had a hard time getting it over the rotor. I had absolutley no parts left not even a washer. ( yes I was shocked to.) Am going to try and look at it tomorrow. Had to spend time with my other love. They get cranky when you spend all your time with your toys.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Looking back through old posts for this topic. I have 78 - chain drive - same problem. Did you ever find the resolution to this? Obviously I need to pull the wheel and count parts, but seems like I did that thoroughly when we replace the bearings two years ago. I had a previous post about rear brake pull - that would explain that problem also. MZ

1 - 10 of 10 Posts